Vanilla powder

What the heck is vanilla powder?

Comments

• Can be one of two things (this is taken from the Vanilla Bean Company Website http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-extracts.html)

Vanilla Powder

There are several types of vanilla powders commercially available. Some are made from sucrose that has been ribbon-sprayed with vanilla extract, and some are a dextrose-vanilla extract mix. They are good for putting into beverages if you want a slightly sweet product that dissolves easily. You can also mix them into powdered or granulated sugar for a vanilla-flavored sugar and you can sprinkle the powders on finished foods such as cinnamon/vanilla toast or...on top of the family heirloom cake when it's warm from the oven. Be aware that many of the vanilla powders from Europe are actually synthetic. Check the ingredients list to see if it's natural or not.

Ground Vanilla Beans

Vanilla beans ground to a fine powder are sometimes confused with vanilla powder. Ground vanilla beans are sometimes used in commercial and industrial products. Ground vanilla is absolutely exquisite in food. Because it isn't in an alcohol carrier, you won't lose flavor when you cook or bake with it. As a result, you can use about half the amount of beans as extract.

I have vanilla powder from Natural Zing, and while it doesn't specifically say so on their website, I believe this is ground vanilla beans without any sugar added. I use it in smoothies from time to time for a bit of a change.

• Thanks Aubbie. :)

• My pleasure :)