Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Composting

hi everyone,

I live with two other roommates (both vegetarian), the one eats hardly any produce and the other a fair amount. I have started to juice a fair amount so it seems I make daily trips out to empty our indoor compost container. What sort of indoor compost container system do you have so that you don't have to make daily trips outdoors (there is snow on the ground right now!) to empty it ?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I have the same problem. Solutions are welcome!

• A Worm Composter would do the trick plus supply great soil amendment for potted plants and a container garden if you don't have access to a garden plot.

If its well managed it will not smell up your place.

This is a great site for worm composting resources in Canada: http://www.vermiculture.ca/vermiculture_resources/vermiculture_resources_canada.htm

I sure there are resources like this in the states too.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

we just put the scraps in a bowl in the fridge so they won't go bad or smell. then we go out when we can.

• I do the same as bitt, I have a container with a lid that I pop back into the fridge and then take out when needed. A couple of times a week usually. I juice daily.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

If you do the worm composting, do it RIGHT - several of my friends weren't super attentive, and they had LARVAE in their worm compost bins, and it was stinky - not fun.

I have my compost in plastic baggies, and every day i put it in the trash by the side of the house temporarily till i can walk back to the compost heap through the ice and snow behind the house, once a week.

• It's a more pricey solution, but I have an indoor composter that you simply plug into the wall. Dump it all in and let the machine do the work until it's full, then transfer it to the lower container.... eventually you take it outside and dump it in the garden, on the yard, spread it on plants, whatever... I love it. It can be a little stinky when you open it to throw your pulp/scraps into it, but when it's closed it's just fine. But, like I said, it's a bit pricey - about $200 I think. Try www.naturemill.com