Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

teflex/parraflex sheets ... is silicone ok?

pixxpixx Raw Master

I'm considering getting a dehydrator, since I really crave crunchy foods, and would like to get over my addiction to conventional corn chips.

My question is, is there any reason I can't/shouldn't use the silicone sheets I have on hand, rather than spending the money on teflex or parraflex sheets? Has any one tried using a silicone sheet in their dehydrator?

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I've seen some folks have used parchment paper, and I would assume (?) that wax paper could work too, but the silicone sheets would be washable and reusable. Anybody tried them?

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

Sorry, don't have any experience with silicone, but your assumption about the wax paper is correct. And I am often able to reuse the wax paper a few times if I'm careful with it. I wouldn't think silicone would be any worse than using teflex, etc. if that's the way you go.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Is teflex or paraflex soft and rubbery like silicone, or are they hard and stiff "plastic"?

• hello pixx - I have often used my silicone sheets prior to getting the teflex/paraflex sheets. They work perfectly fine. They don't fit as well on the dehydrator trays (size is just a little different), but no big deal! The teflex/paraflex sheets are much thinner & they are soft, not stiff. The texture of the sheets reminds me of those plastic overhead projector sheets, but with more flex & with an almost waxy-coating finish to them.

Hope this helps!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thanks, flippin_vegan! Very helpful, indeed!

:~)

• I've only had my dehydrator for about a week, but so far I find that I actually prefer using the parchment/wax paper to the teflexx sheet that came with the dehydrator because your food dries out much faster when it's a bread or cracker. You just have to trim the paper to the tray, but not a big deal.

As for the re-usability issue, true the paper won't last as long, but I'm sure the teflexx will wear out eventually, and you can definitely re-use paper a few times at least. I have always done that in baking, and do the same thing with raw - just use one piece of paper to do a few runs of something salty, and use a different sheet of paper to do sweet things. Once the food has dried, it usually peels very cleanly off the paper anyway. I'll likely be able to use paper for a lot more turns in a dehydrator than an oven, because the main factor as to when to throw away was the food bits getting burnt on the paper!

In terms of impact on the earth, if you worry about that, true you are using more paper than teflexx in the long run, but I imagine there are many harmful inputs going into the production of teflexx. There is one company selling products here in Canada that makes 'sustainable' parchment paper, whatever that means...

• pixxpixx Raw Master

HeatherMae: "but I imagine there are many harmful inputs going into the production of teflexx."

Yes! After a bit of internet searching today, I've discovered that teflex sheets are coated with teflon! But the Paraflexx is coated with silicone. Hmm.

• i bought the excalibur silicone sheets, thnking i was being smart to avoid the teflon. when the sheets arrived i was really disappointed - they were giving off this terribly strong chemical smell. ive had em for a couple months and the smell is still there, but less strong. they arent quite the correct size either - don't fit the sheet.

ive read that teflon is only dangerous in temperatures over 400 so the dehydrator wouldnt be a problem.

• hello, pixx

I love using the parchment paper over the silicone and teflex. Everything dries faster and more evenly IMHO.

Does anyone know if wax paper is vegan?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Isn't waxed paper a petroleum product??? The sausage maker company has fiberglass flexible sheets for sale... The eco friendly parchment could be the best solution, if you don't like the fiberglass suggestion... I use and love mine...

ClaireT
  • pixxpixx Raw Master

Hmmmm.... thanks for the heads-up DreamBrother. I was seriously considering saving up for those. I think I'll pass, now.

Thanks everyone, for your input!

:~)

ClaireT
  • TrendyProjectorsTrendyProjectors Raw Newbie
    edited February 2023

It's definitely possible to use silicone sheets in a dehydrator, but it's important to know that they're not as efficient as teflex or parraflex sheets. Silicone sheets are more porous, which can cause the food to dry out quicker than with the other sheets. Additionally, the silicone sheets don't provide the same level of crispiness that the other sheets do. It's up to you to decide if you want to invest in the other sheets or just give the silicone sheets a try.

Thanks

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Isn't waxed paper a petroleum product??? The sausage maker company has fiberglass flexible sheets for sale... The eco friendly parchment could be the best solution, if you don't like the fiberglass suggestion... I use and love mine...

I never even thought of that. You're probably right. 

That's one more thing to add to my "to research" list.