Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What is my body trying to tell me?

Hi there,

maybe you can help me figure out what is going on with my body.

I have a nerve pinched again - it's right by my spine between the spine and the left hip-bone.

(I know that so well because I had the same thing last fall and went to the chiropractor because of it.)

The pain shoots over my bottom all the way down my leg. Right now it's the worst I've ever had, I can hardly walk at all. When I sit for a long time it gets better, but after a few steps it starts again. Can only lay in my stomach, laying on my side (either one), as well as on my back is impossible and once I try to get up I have the hardest time getting up, straightening up.

Yes, I will go to the chiropractor again, just was waiting to see if it'll go away by itself.

Because that's actually what it did last time. Though I went to a chiropractor and he "fixed" it the pain stayed, I even went to another one, but same story. Finally I got it to go away by going ahead and run on the treadmill, run through the pain and then it got better.

This time seems to be different. Like I said, I can hardly walk as is.

Anyway, I know there's books out there that interpret messages of the body like that - I don't have one yet, so could you find out what it is trying to tell me?

What do you think is going on?

Just as a side-notice, I'm in good shape, eat healthy (raw! ;) ) and feel good all-around otherwise.

Thank you for reading!

I'm looking forward to your comments. :-)

Comments

• The left side has to do with a prominent female in your life. According to Dr. Michael J. Lincoln, a pinched nerve says "oh. no you don't.". THey are getting "saber -rattle warnings" avou tnot "stepping over that line" of self-commitment and self-manifestation. It is the result of intense "kee; them around the old homestead" programming.

Hope this helps.

• Ooh. That sounds terrible. Did something precipitate your pain?

I'm nowhere near an expert, but sounds like it could be sciatica. Have you tried acupuncture? I had nerve problems in my face (I guess that's peripherally related!) and my acupuncturist took care of the manifestations (facial paralysis in one side--not fun) within a matter of days, and then she resolved the underlying problem within a month of twice-weekly, then once-weekly treatments.

Hope all is better soon.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Ice, ice and more ice... First thing to do is a bag of frozen peas or an ice pack or one of those freezer packs for coolers... The ice will help with the pain that is caused from the swelling of the inflammation... 20 min every 2 hours until better...

Sometimes this type of injury can be from leaning over to reach your toothbrush or turning to grasp your washcloth... Something so simple can send you into a terrible bout of pain...

Place a pillow under your legs below the knee to the heels, when on your back... Between your knees when on your side... Don't lay on your stomach as that position can cause problems with the back...

The best way to prevent a future occurrence is to make sure you keep your ears over your shoulders and shoulders over your hips and hips over your ankles and elbows at your side before taking a step... Then step up to what you are trying to reach without twisting also bend you knees so you don't bend over to pickup what you want.... Once you are better, exercise to strengthen the surrounding muscles... Especially your core muscles!!!

I have walked in your shoes so I know how you feel... May you improve quickly and stay without this ever happening again!!!

• Hi everyone,

thank you so much for all of your replies! It's so great that you help me find out what is going on and what I can do about it. :-) GoneRaw is truly like a family, I have to say. Thank you!

Christa, thank you for your input. I will have to reflect on that and search deep...

Agavegirl (beautiful avatar!), well the only thing that went on before I pinched my nerve this time, was that I was working out my core, abs and back. But I can't really say when I started feeling it, so that might have not been it at all.

And before that, it was like what Waterbaby said, it just happened: I woke up one morning and could hardly put any weight on my left leg.

I don't know if it's sciatica, but I've looked it up and can see why you say that it seems to be that.

Great idea with acupuncture! Actually I called my holistic doctor to get an appointment for tomorrow (Saturday). They do everything there, from herbal treatment, to light and aroma therapy, to acupuncture, the list goes on and on - all natural and believing in the body and its abilities. So I'm going to be curious on what they find out there.

If there's interest, I could post about it?

Waterbaby, thanks for coming to my aid once again. :-) I appreciate that!

Thank you for all your kind words and advice. Yesterday and today I've been very good to it, just resting it. Which for me means sitting all day, lol, it's the only position it isn't painful at all. So because of that it's actually gotten a bit better, but when I walk around in the house for a while it's all coming back - thus it's still pinched I assume.

And yes, you're absolutely right, when I have the problem fixed (and also emotionally find out what is the cause of all this and work on it) I will strengthen my core to prevent this from happening again.

Again, thank you everyone and if you like I'll post about what I'll find out tomorrow.

Take care!

• I believe most things at an early stage can be healed with proper nutrition and balanced fitness (cardio, strength training and yoga/pilates). I had the same issue as you and it was very painful.

It's possible your nerve is pinched because the bone is sliding out of place and hitting the nerve. The bone slides because muscles surrounding the bone are not strong enough to keep it supported and in place. To fix the issue you re-teach your body proper alignment again AND strengthen the surrounding muscles. This includes lower back and legs (hamstrings, quads). Realignment is the same goal as chiropractic therapy however in C.T. you do not strengthen surrounding muscles which is why the problem remains. Chiropractors know you need to strengthen the muscles too but they don't tell you so you have to keep going back for their service. I personally think it's too harsh and abrupt for the body and think yoga is they way to go...

If you do nothing else, do Bikram Yoga, also known as hot yoga. It is challenging but well worth it. It accepts all levels of fitness and is something your body can grow into. Commit to trying it at least a couple times a week for a month and I guarantee you will notice a difference in your body for the better and diminished pain. I did this and everything in my body that used to pop or crack (neck, knees, knuckles, elbows, even my jaw!) no longer did so because they didn't need to, my body was in alignment. Perhaps not perfectly yet but better. My lower back nerve pain also went away never to return.

Since you're not afraid of exercise, which is awesome, you also need to strengthen your surrounding muscles. Work your lower back muscles and stretch/tone your legs. Superman, mini-deadlifts (with small hand weights, 8-10 lbs, and don't come all the way up to work and stretch hamstrings), also can hold hand-weights while bent over face-down, not side-bend, starting on left side and rotate to right to get another good ham/lower back stretch. Then come up and repeat. Hyperextensions really help a lot (awesome) as does balancing that with ab work.

http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/search.asp?muscle=Lower Back

Waterbaby gave some good tips too. I've said my piece! Hope it helps.

• Thank you for your comment, Aprilsmiles. :-)

I totally 100% agree with what you're saying. That's exactly what I would have told someone with my problem, too. ;-)

Actually, I was amidst starting to work out pretty hard again (P90X, check out at: www.beachbody.com/p90x ) when it happened. I was already 2 weeks into it, but then had to pause because of my nerve getting pinched.

Saturday I got it put back into place, so I've been icing and slowing starting to walk more, etc. Today I actually want to do an easy yoga-workout to start getting back into working out harder with the P90X program.

I just really needed some support in the mean time, which I totally got from all of you, which I'm so grateful for. :-) *big smile*

Also I was trying to find out the message of my body, I think I'm getting there.

At my holistic doctor's I found a great book I want to mention here. I'm going to buy it for myself now.

It's called "Feelings - buried alive never die" by Karol Truman.

Reading and flipping through it while waiting I was amazed by how correctly it analyzed the messages behind aches/pains/discomforts etc. Totally worth the buy!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Sonnenhut: I know this is out of context, but i was wondering how you like your new workout video? I keep seeing the infomercial and I'm really contemplating getting this! Please let me know what you think!!!

Thanks for recommending that book - I'm definitely going to have to check that one out!!!

I hope you are feeling much better now!!!

• Hi Carrie,

I think P90X is great! :-) I can only recommend it! It's fun, it's versatile and the combination of raw foods plus P90X gives you beautiful results so fast, it's amazing!!

Definitely, get it!

I do feel better, though today, Wednesday, 4 days after having had it put back in place, I can still feel it. Well, it'll get better with time, I'm sure.

Thanks for checking up on that. :-)

• It sounds like the Sciatic nerve is pinched. It can run under, over or right through the middle of your piriformis muscle (under your glutes). The pain will run down the back of your leg and to your foot. An acupuncturist can release the muscle directly to relieve the pain.

• lol I'm glad no one has mentioned Louise Hay...she's like the Queen of New Age Cheesiness!~

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

maybe craniosacral. for me it's much more gentle than chiropracture.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

Crazy - i had the same issue lately. Hurt so bad all down my right leg, and when i would bend id get this tighness like pain in a certain area on my spin - i tried everything , chro, acu, massage . nothing work, everything help for a moment but nothing worked except - Colonic. I got 2 colonics and ever since i havnt had a issure again.

• I have had exactly the same issue...I think the cause is different for everyone.

I've tried Chirpractors, osteopathy, reflexology, acupuncture at different times, but most recently I went to a rolfer...a cross between a chiropractor, bowens teacher and acupressure, it really hurt (in a good way). It wasn't cheap (but cost a lot less than all the other fixes I've tried) after 10 sessions I have been almost completely fixed for 3 years. Yoga keeps me in a good state of balance and I'm noticing it recently as I haven't been doing it...

If you can find a rolfing practitioner in your area I totally reccomend it, even with a name that is so silly!

• i second the rolfing recommendation. it's pretty amazing. my rolfer straightened out muscles i didn't even know i had, and i really felt the difference. it felt like my body came back into itself.

• I went from having no reflexes in my left leg and tripping over my foot and having to give up my job! ( a chiropractor trapper my nerve...BADLY!!) to being able to hike from the Mexican border to the Canadian border on the Pacific Crest Trail!!

Not a bad result..

• In my opinion you can easily maintain your body with the help of exercise. If you are intending to make your own body than first of all try avoiding drugs and legal steroids because this thing effects your health and on your mind as well.