Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

811 for 30 days- the experiment

wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

So i read the 80/10/10 diet and decided to give it a whirl. The problem I had was that within a few days my mouth was inflamed and bleeding and i started to have problems with constipation (ug). So i fell off the wagon. bad. I hit the vegan bakery near me almost every day in search of banana brownies. So im getting back on the wagon but with some adjustments from the book.

1) greens with every meal. I dont think I can handle all the fruit sugars, esp from bananas.

2) onions and garlic are ok for seasoning. I hate sweet salad dressings and if i'm chowing on the greens all day I'd like some savory.

3) spices and herbs besides salt are ok for flavor. I will try and keep the salt to a minimum.

4) some supplements are ok. I believe in whole food supplementation.

5) while my meals are more complex than dr. d suggests I need to be excited about what im eating too. I'll work on simplifying it, but I don't want the bakery to get me either.

Day 1:

Breakfast: Smoothie made of 3 mini frozen bananas, 1 c. strawberries, 1 c spinach, 2 t vitamineral green, 1 t maca, 1 c water.

munched on about 1 c. green grapes

Lunch: Salad made of 2 c. spinach, 2 c. romaine. 1/4 red bell pepper, handful of cherry tomatoes, 1 green onion, handful of broccoli sprouts, handful of sunflower sprouts.

dressing: 1 T fresh tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 cloves garlic, water, 1/2 t garam masala

munched on 1 c of carrot stix, 1 apple and 2 bananas

smoothie of mango, strawberries and apple

ate an apple driving home from work

dinner: hummus made of 1 T tahini, 1 zuchini, 2 cloves garlic, juice of one lemon, cumin

2 c. broccoli, 2 c. cauliflower, 1 c carrots

according to fitday.com this put me at 1637 calories, 20g fat, 371g carbs, and 39.6 protein. so thats 10% fat, 82% carbs and 8% protein

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Dates and spicy are great in salads. Also, acidic fruit give me constipation so I stick mostly with sweet fruits, as acid fruits irritate my tummy. Also, juicy fruits help with the dreaded C, and are great for healing overall.

Also, 30bananasaday.com is an 811 forum

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

A quick word of advice from someone who's successfully been very very high raw for 1 year, with no cooked cravings - You might want to consider trying what's best for you, instead of following a rigid diet (811). Every body is different, and i'm more successful than friends who tried to go raw - because i eat what's best for my body.

• 90/5/5 for the past two months and loving it.

i eat a pound of greens with lunch and dinner, also. but I breakfast is ALWAYS a mono-meal.

• ONION IS NOT PEOPLE FOOD.

SUPPLEMENTS ARE FOR THE WEAK AND CONDITIONED.

SUPERFOODS F*** OFF.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Your quantities seem more reasonable than the book - the amounts suggested seem quite ridiculous to me. I'm sort of toying with the idea of giving it a go - I have been transitioning for the last 3 days by dropping off high amounts of nuts and dehydrated stuff. Please keep posting your experiences as you go through your 30 day trial, really interested. Thanks.

• onions and garlic contain mustard oil, which is a natural pesticide. irritates the stomach...not people food. you may like seasoning but that is just an emotional attachment to cooked food... you may like feeding your mind, but eventually loving yourself enough to give your body everything it really needs will matter so much more. I hope 80/10/10 sticks with ya like it did for me.

my breakfast this morning will be 8 bananas and a half a gallon of water.

:)

• wow I really don't like the taste of raw onions at all but since it takes 20 times of tryin something new to acquire a tatste for it I figured I would eventually just like them but now after reading IWWkevin hmmmm maybe my body knows its not good for me??? I'm new to the RAWvolution so am open to any knowledge people are willing to share.

I need to lose weight [alot acutally] and my skin has aged so I'm going raw to try to stabilize weight and hopefully reverse some of the damage my sun-wprshipping days have caused...any advice for me??

now I've heard many people say no banana or pineapple---hybrid thing which still don't know really what that means truly but I know bananas hi glycemic but I still love them. I haven't been eating them but since I'm going raw I am starting again. soemone suggested eatiung them with greens or cinnamon...what say you my fellow RAWatarians?!!

Peace & abundance

Lo~

• I eat 12 bananas a day.

and have lost weight and gained muscle mass since doing this.

You're getting it from the raw fooders who eat nut loafs for dessert with tahini and fat covered salads for dinner.

Soon they'll tell you too much fruit is bad.

Heck, they never stop.

Eat all the bananas you want!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I agree with Iwwkevin- before i ever read about monomealing or 811 or anything like that, I would eat a dinner of just apples or grapes when they were in season. I'd get them from the farmers market and it would be all i'd want of a meal. I figured if i did that naturally there must be something to this. I just couldn't stand the idea of not ever eating fruit. It never made sense to me.

• ok well so what is the 811 its mono eating can you please explain more...I love fruit and most veggies BUT most veggies I have usually cooked...steamed or stir fried so raw is a big change. I def need to lose weight and I would usually do an protein diet and drop the weight but I think I have aged due to over consumption of chicken and cheese BUT I don't know as scientific fact I just feel it inside ya know. I want to change for the better...feel more energy...be happy and creative and just feel overall helathier.

so please do enlighten me...knowledge is power

Peace

Lo~

• ok. for a mono meal. breakfast, in the summer, it is common for active 80/10/10'ers to eat 4-2 pounds of watermelon for breakfast. 12 peaches for lunch, and then all the acidic fruit you want followed up with all the veggies you need to meet your vitamin and mineral needs, also help with satiation.

those first two meals are great examples of mono meals. eating one thing so your digestive tract and body don't have a hard time distributing it.

i am sedentary in the winter, yet i still consume 2 lbs of bananas every other day!

• so do you only eat bananas on those alt days?? what do you eat besides that?

I have to lose quite an excess of weight and my activity is at work by time I'm finished I'm beat esp during these last few week's weather I have been working outside--brutal my finger tips are so cracked and split they scream when I'm home!!

glamazon- if you're wanting to lose a lot of weight you may want to try a juice feast. Thats where you drink a gallon plus of fresh juices a day and eat no solids. Since you're getting all your calories, you can still work and have a life and you can also do it for an extended period of time. I did a full 92-day juice feast this past summer and dropped from 158 lbs to 127 lbs and had a lot of wonderful healing and cleansing in my body. Read more about it at www.juicefeasting.com

• my meal plan lately goes like this.

breakfast, banana smoothie with 8 bananas or eat them as is.

or 12 oz grapes (breakfast isn't my big meal unless it's the bananas)

lunch:

4 apples, 2 stalks celery, head of romaine lettuce (eaten individually)

predinner (if i feel like it)

3-5 california valencias.

dinner:

pound of spinach with 2 red peppers, 2 tomatos, 1 cucumber

• Hi wichten thanks for that info! [I also posted on that speedy weight loss blog] 31 lbs?? WOW good for you!! Do you have to use all organics on the juicefeast though...alot of times I don't have funds for all organics so I get some organic some regular

On to day two. Why are onions not people food? I know some people have issues with them, but i never have, and i have sensitive digestion.

Breakfast: smoothie of one frozen banana, 1 c. strawberries, 1 c spinach, 2 t vitamineral green, 1 t maca, 1 c water

nosh on one apple while "working"

nosh on some pineapple with a drizzle of lime juice (awesome!)

Lunch and Dinner: kale salad, 1 1/2 bunches of kale, stems removed, cut up into little pieces, 1 c. cherry tomatoes, 1 c. broccoli sprouts

dressing: 1 avocado (i intended to only use half but it was at peak ripeness and those things don't keep well), a couple dates, juice of one lemon, 1 t curry, 1 t cumin, sprinkle of cardamom, water. blended and massaged into salad.

couple of apples at lunch too (its an apple day i think)

snack: apple berry smoothie

post-work nosh: 3 bananas

The kale salad may put me a bit above my fat for the day- but its my favorite. It makes a lot of salad, but im working a double today (14hrs ug) so i need a lot of food with me.

fitday breakdown: 1728 calories, 16% fat, 78% carbs, 6% protein. Not quite 80/10/10 but i knew a whole avocado would skew my numbers.

• you sure love your avocado and tahini.

yeah, i do agree with your choice... it is much better to slowly transition if that works for you.

i'm just a cold turkey kinda guy.

Ok so i didn't have time to blog my food over the weekend so heres day 5. I noticed a few things over the weekend. 1) major upswing in my sex drive (woohoo) 2) i've had some crazy cravings for fatty foods. stuffed potato skins or french fries being the craving du jour.

glamazon- you don't have to use organic foods for the juice feast but i would when you can. Its also best to do it in the summer when you can get produce super cheap. I would order the staples by the case (celery and apples) Im planning on doing another juice feast this summer (maybe not the full 92 days but we'll see) so if im good ill blog that too.

breakfast: 5 bananas

strawberry, apple smoothie

1 oz mixed dried fruit

lunch: 1.5 c broccoli florets, 1 c cauliflower florets, .5 c carrot sticks dipped in mix of:

1 zucchini, 1 T tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 cloves garlic, 1 t cumin, dash water

awesome salad: 2 c spinach, 2 c romaine, 1/2 c broccoli sprouts, 1/2 c sunflower sprouts, handful of parsley, 1/4 red pepper, 1 green onion, 1/2 avocado

nosh 2 bananas

dinner: finished the rest of my lunch salad. ate some (a lot) dates, a banana and an apple.

I seem to still be high in overt fats. I'll work on cutting that down- but id rather have it be a little high than fall off of the wagon and binge on cooked food.

I had a lot of calories today. I kind of surprised myself, but i did run 3 miles over lunch so that might explain some of the hunger.

fitday breakdown: 2339 calories, 9% fat, 86% carb, 5% protein

I do love avocado and tahini. I could eat my body weight in guacamole if i let myself. I tried the cold turkey approach and it was too rough for me. i wish i could just flip the switch

Day 6:

breakfast: green smoothie of 2 (really small) bananas, 1 small apple, 1 c spinach, 2 t vitamineral green, 1 t maca

munch on 2 more tiny bananas.

lunch: veggie salad: 10 cherry tomatoes, 2 stalks celery, 2 green onions, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 cucumber, few sprigs fresh mint, few leaves of fresh basil

tossed in: juice of one lemon, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 t olive oil, herbs de provence, then dumped over,

2 cups spinach, 2 c. romaine 1 c sprouts

snack: broccoli and the last bit of raw hummus

dinner: dates and bananas first. a bit later i had some blueberries, grapes and strawberries

fitday total: 2000 calories 9%fat, 86% carb, 6% protein

day 7:

was busy this morning so no smoothie for me, just apples and bananas

• wichten-- thanks for posting your experiment and sharing it with us? I'm just wondering, how are you feeling so far after 7 days? Is it easy on your stomach eating this way? how's your energy level? any weight changes?

• i hope kandace and ray won't mind, but i'd like to direct you to a couple of places that will maybe be very helpful in answering your 811 (80/10/10) questions

firstly.....http://www.vegsource.com/talk/raw/...doug graham answers questions himself on this site and there are many 811'ers with many years worth of experience...no need to register, just post

also , a great new internet community devoted to the high fruit/low fat lifestyle...http://arawconnection.ning.com/

i'm not suggesting leaving this community at goneraw...it happens to be one of the better of the 'general' raw forums/communities, i just feel that with the immense confusion and controversy that surrounds 811 it is better not to struggle in the dark when there are so many people out there thriving on it and waiting to help others succeed

good luck everyone

:o)

• Hey thanx el-bo for sharing those links. I myself still consider myself a newbie as I will probably for years to come honestly because there is so much to learn, experience and experiment with. It's an adventure! I'm having fun on this journey and I thank you all for you knowledge and help!

Peace always

lo~

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

"Your quantities seem more reasonable than the book - the amounts suggested seem quite ridiculous to me. I'm sort of toying with the idea of giving it a go - I have been transitioning for the last 3 days by dropping off high amounts of nuts and dehydrated stuff. Please keep posting your experiences as you go through your 30 day trial, really interested. Thanks."

These amounts are not ridiculous.

Did you even read the book??

Anyway, in the book it explains cooked foods loose their water content through cooking (some exceptions like rehydrating).

So if the food isn't cooked then we need to eat a bigger volume to get the same calories.

The amounts in the book under the menu section are for 2000 cal diets, and he even breaks it down for us. How handy!!!

I'm male 6'2" so I need around 3500 cals because I am working out. So I need to eat 35 bananas a day lol ;-)

My portions need to be around 1.75X higher then what is recommended in the book.