Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Home Made Toothpaste?

ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I was very curious about what is glycerin and why it is the key ingredient in most toothpastes, even the natural organic ones, what I discovered was that its actually very harmful to the teeth, so I was wondering if anyone had any recipe for a homemade tooth paste.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

2 Tbsp water. 1 tsp or 10 drops of Dr. Bronners liquid soap. Several drops of lavender oil (for improved taste). Dip your toothbrush in the mixture, and brush your teeth. The soap disinfects. Remake this mixture every 2 weeks, or once it's gone.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I use baking soda, sprinkle it on my tongue dip the brush and scrub... smile

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I use Dr. Bronner's soap too but previously used Tooth Soap. Every now and again I use baking soda, but I have read that it is too abrasive to use on the teeth with regularity.

• I bought tooth powder from Frederic Patenaude. The ingredients listed on one of the bottles was: baking soda, salt (of course not the regular table salt), and peppermint. When the bottle runs out, I'll save my money and just combine bs and sea salt. I might add flavoring but it is totally unnecessary.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Thanks people! I'll try that Dr Bronner one today.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

It seems Dr.Bronner has glycerin as well(as you would expect from a soap), a friend who has some knowledge about this stuff recommended grounded licorice and some oils such as lemon&mint, gonna try it tomorrow.

• I try to use a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide 2-3x a week. It seemed to work for my grandma who had her original teeth until she ws 76.

• Here is a recipe for home made toothpaste that I came across a while ago. I haven't had a chance to make it yet.

1.Extra virgin olive oil

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I use Dr Bronner's as well. I bought a small bottle (2 oz) of peppermint flavor, and a small bottle of tea tree flavor, dumped the two together in a cup to mix, and poured them back into the bottles. I keep one by the sink, and one in my travel bag. They last a *long* time. I simply wet my brush, and add a drop or two directly from the bottle. I choose those two flavors for taste, and for antiseptic properties. I typically use Lavender Dr Bronner's around the house, and buy that by the gallon. I didn't like the flavor of the lavender for tooth brushing.

I alternatively, on some days, use baking soda mixed with ground fennel ('cause I like the taste). I have a jar of it near the sink as well. mixed half and half. I would guess the licorice you mentioned would work well too. Sometimes I add a bit of coconut oil to my brush, then dip it into the baking soda/ fennel mixture (I pour some out into my hand to dip into). I like this a lot, but have also heard about baking soda being harsh for everyday use, so that is why I use the Dr Bronner's too.

Recently I purchased tooth cleaner from Tropical Traditions, and it is ok, but I think I will stick to making my own baking soda mix, for the money.

Here is a site with a recipe- similar to what I do, too- but I keep my coconut oil in a separate jar from the powders, and mix it on the brush as needed.

http://www.oldpathsfamilyfarm.net/blog/2008/04/04/yummy-homemade-toothpaste/

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I use green clay and then a drop of clove oil or peppermint oil.