Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jogging tips

2»

Comments

• Hey Rawmamanibbles (funny name btw!) I used to be an avid runner, very dedicated, and at the time it worked for me and I loved it...some days I loved to hate it, and could be really hard on myself if I didn't meet a "goal" but in the end I was always glad I went. I agree with the person who said the hardest part is just getting out the door, especially when you give yourself time to over-think it. And intervals is a good idea, but it never worked for me. I quit running for awhile and was really nervous about starting again, I had lost my confidence and didn't think I could do it. I realized I needed to just take the pressure off and do what I wanted. I would go for walks. Nothing scary about walks. Then, while I was on a walk, I'd feel the fresh air and feel good and healthy, so I'd jog for a bit. I'd tell myself 'surely I can jog to that telephone pole', so I would. Once I got there, I'd either stop, or if I was feeling good I'd just keep going. Like Forrest Gump ;) The important thing is to not worry about stopping or walking, just be true to yourself. There's a difference between "can't" and "don't want to". When I got to a spot jogging that I had told myself I'd walk at, I'd be honest to myself that I COULD keep going, so I would. Then, when I knew my body was telling me to take a break, I would. It's hard to start up in the winter, depending on your climate, better in Spring...but running is awesome, I hope you get a chance to experience the highs AND the lows. They both help you develop your rhythm :)

• Any recommendations for running in cold weather? What to wear?! My basic work out clothes for cold weather are leggings, shorts over the leggings, shirt and sweatshirt. But it's too cold for that!

• Cold weather, get an under armor cold gear shirt a tight fitting fleece jacket with a hood and some warm running gloves. You'll be very warm.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Chattanoog, how cold does it get where you live?

I live in Toronto, Canada and it gets REALLY cold, especially these past few weeks (-15C/5F, -20C/-4F). When it gets that cold I usually wear 3 layers and the following things:

Tops:

1. Tank top

2. Thermal long sleeve shirt

3. "Sping" jacket

Bottoms:

Ski knee-high socks

1. Thermal long underwear

2. Yoga pants

3. Windbreaker pants

Running shoes (with running cleats if there is a layer of snow on the ground)

Running gloves

Balaclava to cover my head and face

However, if it's not that cold outside I would remove the yoga pant layer and wear a running hat rather than the balaclava. You don't want to be too hot, because it can be just as uncomfortable as being too cold. You want to be a little cold at the beginning of your run, but after about 10min you'll have warmed up. Make sure that you don't wear any cotton because it doesn't absord your sweat and you'll be cold,

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Haha running cleats great!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

RawEverything, ya my running cleats are called YakTrax! You put them under your running shoes and they help a lot on snow, so you don't slide on the snow and ice while you are running. Best invention ever!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

We've had mad snow here in the UK this week (well, mad for us anyway - probably nothing compared to what some of you guys get tho!) and I ran down to the gym yesterday for a workout but it was closed due to the adverse weather. This really peed me off as wanted a good workout, but decided to run outside for a bit before heading home. It was great! I've never run in the snow before but did pretty well considering. It was cold, but also magical running along in a white winter wonderland! Felt very good when I got home.

I would also second what someone said before about 'feeling it'. Some days I'll run and it just doesn't feel right. I do tend to push myself anyway and do at least 5k, but other days it's a breeze and I can go for ages without any problems. I've tried to pin it down to what I've eaten/how much I've slept/etc. but can never seem to find a pattern.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

AVL: Yes I can imagine, never heard of it. I googled it up and they look great directly informed all running mates :). We in the Netherlands have a huge amount of snow now, about 10-15 cm, and the country is crippled! It's becoming ice and I'm not going to run to night, next week we try again.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

haha, yeah my name. my family would call me nibbles when my son wanted to breastfeed.

funning started real good for me then it got real cold outside and all i wanted was a warm bowl of oats frist thing and i jut couldnt bring myself to run while it was cold. i plan on starting, jsut waiting and listening for the right time. im all ready though and i cant wait to get started. the little bit i did, i loved!

• I find running in Korea to be a great thing (they haven't had a real snowfall in 70 and then BAM! This year, they get dumped on) and I find that I'm good in just the usual running pants down until about -4, -5...then I usually just wear a pair of thick tights underneath my yoga/running pants (nothing glamorous, but they keep your bum warm)....a thin pair of mitts, if there's a good breeze, is not enough I find. I tend to double up those thin finger mitts, and that's good. My running clothes for winter are pretty shabby I must say. Little shirt here, thin jacket there -- I've priced out a solid OUTFIT of running "gear" and that'd be too much...so I'm making do with what's around the house -- and a hat! a hat is key i find. but, i have to put my hair into two low pig-tales, or else my hat rides up and pops off. HA! I'm so getto when I run! My jacket is just something from Costco, and my running pants are AGES old, from sportcheck or something like that. The only quality thing, or article of value that I wear running - winter or summer that is - is shoes. My asics are my favorite EVER, and my shins haven't been a problem since I got 'em. The rest of your outfit is just to keep you warm, but your shoes (and warm socks!) is SO SO key!