What to ask the dentist in terms of procedure for removal of mercury fillings?

CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Haha! I just wanted to test a regular dentist, it went like this:

"Hello. I am interested in replacing my old mercury fillings that are ten years old. Do you do this sort of thing?"

"Yeah, I can give you an appointment now, if you want"

"What are the safety mesures you take in this kind of procedure."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, mercury being a highly toxic heavy metal, how do you remove them?"

"Oh, you can leave your fillings in. They won't be a problem"

Ummm.... so what kind of answers should I be looking for?

Comments

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I think I found one that seems fine. Can I take chlorella before the removal? They said yes. But since I've upped my dark greens and taken spirulina and chlorella, I have noticed a strange taste in my mouth and a bad smelling sweat when I exercise.

Is this normal/to be expected? Is it mercury related?

• Carnap: I am no expert but I have removed my mercury filling lately, I read in many places that you should not take chlorella, cilantro or other heavy metal detox ingredients while your mercury filling are still in, this may cause the mercury to leave the amalgams and intoxicate your blood stream and body, you should first remove the amalgams and then start your detox therapy. In other words there is no reason to detox if the source of intoxication is still in your body, first you must remove it then you can proceed to detox. (my naturopath also told me so)

• I found this heavy metal detox recipe recently, someone may find it useful:

Heavy Metal Poisoning (from www.hair-and-water-testing.com)

Cilantro is truly a healing food. Two teaspoons of cilantro pesto daily for 3 weeks is is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies.

Cilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves of garlic crushed

1/3 cup brazil nuts( selenium)

1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)

1/3 cup pumpkin seeds ( zinc, magnesium)

2 cups packed fresh cilantro ( vit A)

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice ( vit C)

2 teaspoons of dulse powder

unrefined sea salt to taste

Process the cilantro and oil in blender until chopped. Add remaining ingredients and mix until blended into a paste.

Add some salt to taste. Store in dark glass bottles if possible and keep cold. Can be frozen if you wish to make a large batch when cilantro is in season. This is delicious on toast, potatoes and pasta.

That's exactly what I thought. I thought, if it is so strong at taking out metals, it will surely attract some from the fillings themselves and cart them around my bloodstream!

However, so many suggest taking it before removal...

• Carnap: One thing you wanna make sure your dentist is using during mercury fillings removal is a rubber dam, this is to prevent any small tiny particle that are dispersed during the drilling be swallowed by you accidentally. Make sure the rubber dam is the traditional one that is attached/wrapped around the tooth and protects basically the whole mouth. If you have more than one filling, then the dentist should re-install the rubber dam on the other teeth as well. I mention this because sometimes dentists take short cuts to save time (less time for them translates into more $$$$) and do no use it. One other thing should be an oxygen tube to be attached to the patient's nose to avoid breathing with your mouth, this is to prevent you to breathe toxic fumes that are released while drilling by high temperatures. Good luck!

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Okay, all this talk about mercury poisoning is making me nervous about my fillings removal that I have scheduled in 2 weeks. I am currently taking chlorella in my smoothies although, only 1 tsp a day. I'm going to call my dentist this afternoon and ask her if she uses the recommended precautionary measures listed here from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology.

1. Keep the fillings cool

All removal must be done under cold water spray with copious amounts of water.

Once the removal has begun, the mercury vapor will be continuously released from the tooth.

2. Use a high volume evacuator

Therefore, a high volume evacuator tip should be kept near the tooth (1/2 inch) at all times to evacuate this vapor from the area of the patient. Polishing amalgam can create very dangerous levels of mercury and should be avoided especially for the mercury toxic patient.

3. Provide an alternative air source

All patients having amalgam removed or placed should be provided with an alternative air source and instructed to not breathe through their mouth during treatment. A nasal hood such as is used with the nitrous oxide analgesia equipment is excellent. Air is best and oxygen is acceptable although not required. If just air is used it should be clean and free of mercury vapor preferably from outside the dental office.

4. Immediately dispose of the mercury alloy

Particles of mercury alloy should be washed and vacuumed away as soon as they are generated. The filling should be sectioned and removed in large pieces to reduce exposure.

At present the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) has approved removal both with and without the use of a rubber dam. Some evidence exist to support both views since high levels of mercury and amalgam particles can be found under the dam. All members are agreed that whether or not a rubber dam is used the patient should be instructed to not breathe through their mouth or swallow the particles. Some experts feel that it is better to remove the amalgam first and then apply the dam if needed for restorative procedures.

5. Lavage, and change gloves

After the fillings have been removed, take off the rubber dam if one was used and lavage the patients mouth for at least 30 seconds with cold water and vacuum. Remove your gloves and replace them with a new pair. If a restorative procedure is next then reapply a new dam and proceed.

6. Immediately clean patient

Immediately change patient's protective wear and clean their face.

7. Consider nutritional support

Consider appropriate nutritional support before, during and after removal.

8. Keep room air pure

Install room air purifiers or ionizers and fans for everyone's well being.

Cool, Zemphira. Thanks for the info.

SO you are taking chlorella before. I will continue. Most people say to... But it all makes me so nervous. I have a check up on the 30th of march, and then getting the fillings out a few weeks later!

I wish it were tomorrow!