Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Has anyone here have personal experience controlling diabetes with a raw diet?

pixxpixx Raw Master

I have been high raw for a year now, and living with a bf who has recently seen some shows on TV about folks who have controlled diabetes on raw. (I had mentioned this to him as well- seeing it on TV seemed to light a spark!) and he immediately went 100% on a high fruit day, and salad at night. This gave *fantastic* results for several days, sugar in the 80's (which he has never had previously). Unfortunately, it eventually started rebounding something awful, near 200 in the evenings. I mentioned Gabriel Cousins, and his view on not having much fruit, but my bf is unsure how to get enough calories without the fruit.

Anybody here successfully controlling diabetes with raw? and if so, what sort of diet plan are you following? I would be grateful for advice from any folks with first hand experience with this! Thanks!!

EDIT- I guess I should mention that he was completely SAD diet just a couple weeks ago, and I'd hate to see him return to that.

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

stevio~ you still out there? I've found a couple of your posts, and you give me hope! You mentioned eating fruit, do you limit it, or eat a lot? Fruit was the bulk of my bf diet when he started this, I'm guessing mainly because it is easy, and it seemed to work, in the beginning.

If you are out there, stevio, I'd love to know more about what you ate/eat on a typical day, and how things are going for you these days.

• If you haven't done so yet, take a look at 'There is a Cure for Diabetes' by Gabriel Cousens, M.D.

The book may answer most, if not all, of the questions you have about a raw approach to eliminating diabetes.

• Hi Pixx -- You need to get your bf to read Green for Life, and 12 Steps to Raw Food by Victoria Boutenko -- Her son cured his diabetes with Raw Food -

Also if you watch the video "Reversing the Irreversible" it also tells of people curing their diabetes with raw food. Fruit is high in sugar and some

fruits have more than others. Your bf should try to eat raw -- lots of great recipes out there if you want to prepare his food. Green smoothies are like

a blood transfusion. Wheatgrass juice. For calories - he can eat nuts and seeds. Good luck, Rita

www.greenforlife.com for more info.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thank you both!

vegwoman113~ He is considering ordering that book (we can't get it locally.) Have you read it? The reviews on amazon are mixed, and he is hesitant. Would love to know if it's really good, or just a big ad for his program.

I'll suggest the other two to him, imrita.

Thanks again!

:~)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I was DX'd with adult onset D.M. and changed my diet at that time from SAD to vegetarian then Sept a yr ago went raw... I continued with elevated A1C readings until raw... 4 months after raw my A1C was NP (none present)... My blood pressure is now 116/68 with a bounding steady heart rate in the low 60's... I also had COPD which is gone, I just saw my MD last week and he was so pleased with the condition of my lungs, they are clear... My hyperlipidemia is also resolved, total cholestrol 137...

I believe everything is possible with RAW, make sure to get dark green, red and orange at every meal... Add seeds and or nuts for all meals except the first one... Avoid pineapple and bananas until your glucose level is near normal... I used more citrus during those early days... Now I can eat them whenever I desire...

I love my veggie smoothies daily and have eaten NO cooked foods of any kind for a yr and 5 months and I don't want it even when I'm around it... At night I eat recipes from this site like marinara sauce with veggie pasta and a salad or hemp crackers, nut pate` with a salad or Kale salad and corn chips and blackberry cheese cake... As you can imagine, I get more than my share of calories so I know your BFwill too... smile

Good luck to you and your BF!!!

• Wow, waterbaby12347, it's really encouraging to hear of all you were able to accomplish with raw!!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thanks waterbaby12347, your info is very helpful, and very encouraging!

• Hi Pixx -- I just thought of another book you and your bf might want to check out -- It is called the pH miracle diet for diabetes. You can apply the principles in that book to any diet and he should still get better (even if he doesn't want to eat all raw.) Check it out. LOL Rita

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Low fat. Some people have had experience with this over on www.30bananasaday.com. You could ask, people are very friendly.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thanks, folks! I appreciate everyone's input. :~)

• The good news about Type II diabetes is that all symptoms can be made to permanently disappear within about 30 days - simply by changing what one eats. The bad news is, most people would rather die than change what they eat - and consequently they do.

As famed Nobel laureate Dr. Linus Pauling once said: "At the foundation of every human ailment, there lies a mineral dificiency." In the case of Type II diabetes, the mineral dificiencies are chromium, vanadium, magnesium, iodine, and sulphur. A diabetic should eat foods that are rich is these minerals, or take supplements in capsule or liquid form.

All disease occurs at the cellular level. Indeed, all disease can be defined as "cellular malfunction." Cellular malfunction can result from only 2 reasons: (1) nutritional deficiency and/or (2) ingestion of toxins.

Type II diabetes is a nutritional dificiency metabolic condition, lacking the minerals chromium, vanadium, magnesium, iodine and sulphur - and also essential fatty acids GLA, ALA, DHA, EPA. These can be supplied by flax seed oil, Evening Primrose Oil, and fish oil capsules. "Good oils drive out the bad oils."

The proximate cause of Type II diabetes is ingestion of a very specific toxin: processed vegetable oils, such as soybean oil, canola oil, peanut oil, cottonseed oil, etc. Worst of all are the trans-fats made from these oils, found in the form of margarine, Crisco, Miracle Whip, etc. These products cause not only Type II diabetes, but also cancer and heart disease - the 3 main killers in the United States.

Someone looking to overcome Type II diabetes should avoid all processed vegetable oils, and limit themselves to the "healthy" fats which are : virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, flax seed oil, cod liver oil, fish oil capsules, krill oil capsules,

butter, and ghee. Almost all packaged snack foods, crackers, chips, etc. are prepared with toxic vegetable oils such as soybean oil, simply because it prevents them from being bio-degradable and preserves them indefinitely. Anything fried in these toxic oils at restaurants such as french fried potatoes, fried fish, onion rings, etc. will cause Type II diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The cause of these epidemics in modern American are no longer a mystery.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thanks for your input.

He's been doing really well, by the way. No more meds for it! woohoo!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

That's awesome!!! Woohoo indeed.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yeah, he's not even doing 100%. He did for several days, but then his sugar went crazy, so he ate regular for a few days to regroup, and read up on everything. Now he has raw breakfast and lunch, and dinner is raw a few times a week, and a few times it's regular (otherwise "healthy") meals. It didn't take long at all for the need for the meds to drop away. Really impressive!

• Hi, I used to take pre-diabetic medication everyday, for several years. My doctor was also going to put me on blood pressure medicine as well. I decided at that time to go vegan, not even raw, just vegan. Within a few months I did not need my diabetic medicine and the doctor thought I had started taking the blood pressure medicines she had prescribed. I told her I had not started the medicines and had just changed my diet. She said, "We still need to keep an eye on it." A year later I got tests done just to be sure and my blood pressure, cholesterol, everything was in normal range. Even my thyroid (I used to be on thyroid medicine as well) returned to normal. Both diabetes and thyroid are supposed to be incurable diseases. So much for traditional medicine.

I watched a video that I bought called Raw for 30 Days. They do exactly that, it is a reality movie where they have people go raw for thirty days and get them off of their diabetes medicine. It is really good to watch. They have a preview on their site and you can also see the trailer on youtube

http://www.rawfor30days.com/

Hope this helps and good luck to you both!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Is he type 2, then? I'm type 1 & I have had experiences of much lower blood sugar levels, but they have never lasted more than about a week. I'm glad he's figuring out something that works for him!

Even though I don't follow or necessarily agree with the total approach Gabriel Cousens takes, the thing I like about the book "There is a Cure For Diabetes" is that it lists MANY different nutrients & supplements, and it describes HOW each one affects diabetes/the body.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yeah, we've known about the Simply Raw (Raw for 30 Days) video for quite awhile now; it's what got our attention to Gabriel Cousens & his book (There is a Cure For Diabetes). He has There is a Cure, and the Green for Life books. We've also gotten the 80/10/10 book from the library (Interlibrary loan, from another state). I think he is striking a mix between all of them, and is doing quite well. Yes, Angie, he was Dx'ed as type II.