Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

2 Things: Depression, and my girly bits are sick :(

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I have tendencies toward depression to begin with, and with all I'm going through in losing my fiance, it's gotten REALLY bad. I don't have insurance and can't afford therapy (which I'd rather do instead of happy pills anyway). Does anyone have any natural suggestions to combat depression beyond the normal taking care of myself and taking St. John's Wort and maca?

Also I had my first pap test for the first time in a couple years last week, and it came back saying I had a slight case of bacterial vaginosis...gross! It's just a minor bacterial infection, no big deal, and they gave me something for it (metronidazole) but still. Any antibacterial herbs anyone can recommend?

Thank you!

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Hello Dear,

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I have struggled with SAD (seasonal affective disorder... this time at least) my whole life. I find that when I stick to 80/10/10 for 3-4 days I feel sooo much better. The candida dies off and one's positive energy levels sore. Blessings and good luck!

P.S. I am starting to see 801010 as a major cure in all illnesses.

• bummer. when depression starts to take over, i fight it with exercise, journaling, and forced positive thinking. journaling helps with the positive thinking. i try to look at the stuff getting me down as a vehicle for growth. i reflect, write and process on that theme until i can actually see and believe it.

volunteering is really good for depression. you get out, you make good, you meet new people. it's awesome.

as far as food goes, make sure you're getting your omega fats.

as far as therapy goes, i am a long-time believer in the power of good therapy. it's important to find the right match, of course. and it can be expensive. my favorite style of therapy is kind of free, though! check out re-evaluation counseling. http://www.rc.org/ you pay for the classes (really inexpensive and often on a sliding scale). once you have done the classes, you have access to free counseling for the rest of your life! it's worked wonders for me.

most importantly, stay strong. you'll get through this!

• Hello Branwyn32

I can totally empathize and sympathize with you luv...depression can be totally debilitating. You mentioned being prone to it...if you have been depressed for a long period of time there is actually a physical change that takes place in the brain and that gives the medical profession a green light to prescribe the 1,000's of anti-dep pills they do. It is difficult to switch back to positive thoughts and feelings when you have this for a long period of time BUT it is not impossible--altho it may feel like that at times. Remember emotions are fluid like water---Some days are smooth like a mello stream, others hard like ice. Just know that they constantly change as we live day to day.

Tangerina has offered some great tips for helping alleviate it. When I was really down I started taking 5-HTP and SAM-e both are reported to increase seratonin levels and I added a B-50 complex vitamin to support making the seratonin. They helped me alot. I also did [and still do] my daily positive mantras and really try to focus on being grateful.

Not sure what you mean by loss of your fiance BUT any loss needs to be grieved. You cannot rush that process. Just remember you are never alone and to know that if you reach out your hand---someone will be there to take it and offer whatever comfort they can. We are all connected. We all feel the same emotions and go thru many of the same experiences.

If you are close to a chinese herbal store you could go in and ask for tea herbs for depression. Also acupuncture has be shown to do some amazing work with depression. Like I always say...fake it until you make it!! That old saying "Smile even when you don''t really feel like it" it is sound advice!! Your facial muscles being engaged in a smile tricks the brain into thinking you are happy which will stimulate the production of endorphins, thus elevating your mood :D

The body is such a complex and AMAZING machine. It's sole purpose is to be a happy & healthy vessel for us.

Oh, I had this supaaaaaa dooper little chinese herbal lady on the west coast...friend of mine had cervical cancer...the lady had her douche with this betadine mixture 2 x week and drinking fresh carrot juice 3 x a day...sounds crazy I know...and when my friend went back to obgyn month later, the cancer was gone! So I know there has to be something natural out there for you--sorry I cannot provide it though. Best of luck...put your search out there, the universe has this amazing way of bringing what you need right to your doorstep when you are earnestly seeking.

Much love and many blessings

Lo~

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

I've gone in and out a slight depression lately and i found a combination of Acupuncture and Flower Bach remedies to help. IF you can find a someone to make you a bach remedy designed for you and only you you'll get much more effect than if you buy one flower at a time.

and the acupuncture just help in overall everything :)

hope that helps

• pixxpixx Raw Master

personal experience: Up your greens intake. Seriously.

I've noticed when I don't eat enough greens, my depression comes back. Consume at least two big green smoothies a day for several days, and see if that helps. I bet it does! :~)

As for the "girly bits": garlic. Yes, your breath will stink-- but eat it on everything for a while. And, if you can tolerate it (it will "burn" a bit) take a clove of garlic and wrap in cheesecloth, tampon like.

:~)