Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw eggplant?

seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

I'm curious! Have you tried it? How did you prepare it?

I'm going to try marinating some eggplant strips in lemon juice and shoyu with some fresh herbs and garlic. I rarely eat over-marinated or dehydrated foods, so we'll see how it goes.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I've used eggplant to make nut burgers, the recipe is somewhere on my profile... You can probably use the search box to find it easier...

It is worth looking for as it is delicious without dehydrating it... I ate half of it on a kale leaf as a roll up and dehydrated the other half... All of it was wonderful... Hope you too like it... smile

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have to limit my night shades but I did marinate eggplant strips over night then wrapped them around raw sausage. Put them in the dehydrator and dried until warm and the eggplant strips looked like bacon around sausage. I know you said you rarely ate dehydrated, but this was very good and different.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I really like it like this:

I take 3 parts olive oil, 1 part agave, 1 part ACV. I slice the eggpant in rounds ( not thin like for making unbacon), quickly dip each side of each piece in the mixture and then dehydrate for two hours. It gets all soft and yummy. It is not over marinated, just a quick dip in the sauce.

Or, teff bread!

Half an eggplant peeled, one and a half zucchini peeled, one onion, handful of spinach or whatever you like, food processor, then add some teff flour but not too much, or the taste will be overbearing. Don't know how much I used. Dehydrate like a cracker or thin flat bread.

I really liked that bread, but it might not be for everyone.

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

There is not unanimity on this site about whether raw eggplant (aubergines) are OK to eat raw... however (I am OK with it) - and...

- I have used it for an eggplant smoothie from time to time. (http://www.goneraw.com/recipe/potassium-blast-eggplant-smoothie)

- In the (Complete book of raw food), I have seen an interesting recipe for eggplant pizza (which I am making today for our Durham, Ontario, Canada rawfood meetup! Yey).

- I know that it can be used for things like lasagne - I had a great lasagne 2 weeks ago at rawlicious.ca in Toronto, with eggplant in it. MInd-blowing.

Good luck, we'd love to hear of your experiences.. And regarding the edibility of raw eggplant, I have read that it is the shoots and leaves of the plants that are not edible raw - perhaps as a preservation mechanism. BTW, I don't think that "edibility" is a legit noun. I just could not think of anything else!

Oh - and also, I have been getting into lemon marinades a lot recently too. Seems to work really well for me - I was even considering the merits of marinading a lemon recently.. ;-)

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Ha ha :) but yeah, I gather eggplant is one of those you dont just pick up and bite into. Its more of a marinade a few hrs. type so I havent tried it yet. Want to. Will. Never had it cooked either so go figure. Oh the smoothie recipe... that sort of blows the marinade theory out of the water. lol I'll go check that out.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i love eggplant bacon, yum yum yum! if you have just a little it will be delicious and the rest of your food can be not dehydrated of course. :-)

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

eggplant bacon? can someone post it, it sounds great! I marinate my eggplant in ACV and EVOO and some spices. I love it. I soak it and salt it first and squeeze it out then marinate it.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

This might be it...

http://goneraw.com/node/935

:)

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

I was just thinking about eggplant today! What a coincidence!

What I was wondering is if anyone has spiralized it or turned it into "noodles"? Because it is soft, I would think it would make perfect noodles.

I have tried several other veggies spiralized but they always remain crunchy.

Has anyone made noodles out an eggplant?

Thanks!

• (Hi, strong_and_raw, nice to see you.)

I'd also like to know how eggplant does with a spiralizer. (Any other fave veggies done that way too?, I'm on the verge of buying one, but just don't want to have tons of equipment lieing around if I won't use it a lot.) Thanks

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

I have had eggplant used for lasagne before - it was YUM. www.rawlicious.ca, we had a meetup there.

I am (as we speak) marinading some eggplant with hopes of getting myself a lasagne in the next day or two!

ciao you lovelies, all of you.

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

(Hello osoniye!)

What about spaghetti noodles?

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I grow it so sometimes I have tons! I dry it too, but found that I prefer it without oil, I slice it very thin, marinate and dehydrate. It's very crisp like that. But, I've also made Baba Ganoush (spelling?) using eggplant, tahini, garlic, lime, cumin, salt and pepper blended until smooth in the food processor, excellent.

• i'm surprised it's not used more as bread for a sandwich.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Try the caponata recipe (I didnt see anyone else suggesting this but sorry if you did) - it is really really yummy and so easy and get sbetter the longer you leave it. My mum tried it and she doesnt live eggplant or olives but she liked it so much she took the recipe away to try at home!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I'm growing eggplant this year in my garden and fully intend to eat it whether as 'bread', noodles, dehydrated or blended! I've never had it raw before but I've prepared it cooked enough times to know what it does.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

just put the peeled raw eggplant and the other ingredients for baba ganoush in the processor, or do i have to dehydrate or marinate first?