Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I Don't Know When I'm Hungry

Hi there,

I'm new to Raw and just trying some things out.

Yesterday I ate only raw foods for most of the day to just try it out. I've eased into eating more raw foods over the past few weeks after a lifetime of eating almost none.

The thing is, I can't tell when I'm hungry or full eating raw foods. I ate a big salad with fruit in the morning and decided to stop eating once the food didn't taste as good (almost the whole plate). Then I had a green smoothie (about 1L) after my workout around noon but never felt full although I didn't feel like I needed more. Then in the afternoon I thought I was hungry so I ate some pumpkin seeds and made another smoothie but only drank about half of it.

This is very unusual for me. When eating cooked foods, I could have a big meal, feel very full and then a few hours later feel starving again.

Is this normal for starting a raw diet? What does it mean?

Comments

• Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but on raw food (from what I've experienced-- I've been in-and-out transitioning for about a year now....finally going 100% after this last week of cleansing) you're not going to feel like you're "starving." I was reading in Carol Alt's books that when her doctor started her on raw food, (s)he told her to go home and eat as much of any raw fruit or veggie she wanted, and she would be fine. No weight gain and healing, as well as no feeling of "starvation." From what I've seen, I think that the theme amongst raw foodists is "listen to your body." So right now, since you're new, you'll probably feel like you're munching all day (as Carol shared in her book). I'm sure that as you grow more accustomed to everything, your body will tell you what it wants next.

Additionally, as far as when you were eating cooked foods and eating till you were full-- my mother, a nutrition fanatic-- is constantly reminding me that we are not supposed to eat right up until we're full (though, more than likely more detrimental to those eating cooked foods) because it stretches out our stomachs. This would explain the phenomenon that you were experiencing-- Eat till full, stretch that stomach! Once it's empty, more space to fill, hence the sense of "starvation."

Hope this helps, and good luck! =)

RnR

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

and most of the time when you think you ARE hungry your just really thirsty!

so dont forget to drink water!!! we need more water than food. so dont stress out about if you are getting enough to eat. just make sure to eat a wide variety of food.

And most of all relax and enjoy, this is not really as hard as we make it out to be. we stress ourselves out to much and should just flow with it. society has taught us to stress about EVERYTHING and life should never be that complicated.

So eat when you want and drink your water and let your body do the rest. we really over think this stuff

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

This is very common in the beginning. You will feel hungry because you are not used to having all that cooked sludge bulge out yous stomach indicating "fullness". You will feel physically full, but still have urges to eat more. It will all be very confusing, but it will pass once you experiment with food and get used to it all.

• Ahhh *water*!! Great point... I should definitely hydrate more, too!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I'm under the impression that our body wants us to eat until we give it the nutrients it requires at that time. A salad or smoothie has a ton of nutrients, so the body says "thank you, I'm done" after not a lot of volume. But you can eat potato chips all day long and your body will say "nope, keep eating, I haven't gotten enough nutrients yet."

• Hi, I'm transitioning, and last week started with green smoothies in the morning. I bring one to work and it takes me a good hour to get through the whole thing. Lunch time rolls around though, and I notice I'm not famished, but I'm not full either. I could eat, but I wouldn't notice if I didn't. This is very out of character for me. I burn loads of calories, so I'm usually a perpetual eater!

So while I have no solid info or advice, I can contribute that you're not alone!

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I agree with Suasaria. When I first started raw I was bingeing like mad. I think I really NEEDED it. It has tapered off...

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

all the fiber will make you pretty full but yes, you will not feel heavy like with cooked food. it's strange at first! you will get used to it. in the meantime until you can tell better, be sure to have food with you at all times because it can be hard to estimate how much food is enough. having plenty of raw food around is my secret to staying raw.

• I am also transitioning and the biggest problem for me (which I think is connected to the feeling you are speaking about) is that after I eat a wonderful delicious raw meal, I don't feel tired....I feel like I should be doing something. On a cooked SAD diet, I would always feel lethargic after I had dinner or lunch...I wouldn't have much energy to do anything other than watch TV or read...

So at first, for me - I was mistaking that feeling for being hungry....I would think I needed to eat something more because I didn't feel the same way. Does that make sense? Plus, many of the meals I make are so much more simple, and require less clean up - so I am done eating earlier than I'm used to....which is also a factor in me feeling "hungry" or thinking I am. Further to what "Bitt" said, it is certainly a strange feeling and one that takes some getting used to.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I would say you're pretty spot on with that comment emmasgoneraw .

• Thanks for the comments. It's now been about 10 days of mostly raw food for me (there was one day in there with a lot of cooked food) but I'm getting more used to it. Also I have been buying some dates for when I am a little bit hungry but don't want a full meal. They are a good snack.