Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Literally...speechless.

2»

Comments

• This is like something out of a psychoanalytic theory text book. Adults - of any species - are supposed to protect their children and guide them into being independent functioning beings. 8 years old and on the teet is not an independent functioning being. I'm not sure how anyone can truly view this as healthy for those children. The attachment they have formed - and that she is encouraging - is a prime case of arrested development. I would guess that this woman has fears of her children growing up and no longer needing her, and she gets a pleasure from feeding them from her body and feeling their dependance on her for survival. The kids don't know any better - and I hope they don't mention this to their friends, because I can't imagine the school yard taunts given to an 8 year old who snacks at her mother's breast and names it. The image of the children drawing pictures of the breast are shocking - if I had read this in a Freud case study, I would have thought he had invented it.

I do disagree that the kids look mentally disturbed in any way- they just look pale and british...(sorry). I have no doubt, however, that these kids are developing some large psychological issues that will be present for the rest of their lives.

I feel like calling my mom and thanking her for allowing me to grow up on schedule. I'm truly disturbed by this.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hi Dagney Taggart! I always do enjoy reading your posts!

I'm guessing this woman saved a boat load of cash by not *purchasing* milk from the store for her children :-D

Joyce

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Thank you DannyTaggart, I was more subtlely referring to psychoanalysis myself, albeit ironically, but on a more serious note, I think that is well put.

• I'm glad that at least some people on here can tell the difference between being at one with nature vs. taking it WAY too far.

• "I'm guessing this woman saved a boat load of cash by not *purchasing* milk from the store for her children :-D"

I wonder if England's economy sucks as bad as ours does right now.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Yes it does - advantage Im paying a lot less on my mortgage (except Im not Im keeping it the same and making overpayments), disadvantage where I was earning

• Carnap said: Does anybody here like second degree, cynical, dry humor? I'm feeling pretty alone here.

Hey Carnap, I sometimes fall back on cynical, dry humor myself . Usually, it's concerning a topic that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable- maybe a defense mechanism? I know how you feel on that one. Usually it's in one on one conversations and not on the internet for me though? But, when we are "talking" online people can't sense your voice tone, facial features, etc. Anyway- been there, done that too:-)

On to the topic- breastfeeding! Icks, it's almost like religion and politics. I try to avoid those conversations usually because people can get so passionate (both ways too, imho). I always try to be supportive of people who are breastfeeding. I would never say anything to someone, even if the manner in which they were breastfeeding made me feel uncomfortable. I just wouldn't.

That said- I think it really is a cultural thing many times. We can say breast feeding is natural, etc. I agree. But, where I live, it's considered indecent to show your breasts in public- whether that is fair (hey, men can go topless) or not- it's the culture I live in (a fairly Bible belt kind of area in the U.S). So, it doesn't surprise me that many people become uncomfortable seeing breastfeeding. It's natural, healthy, etc. Breasts aren't sexual objects, they are for feeding babies, etc.

But, when I was growing up, women would leave the church santuary and go to the nursery (probably where the name came from?) and nurse their kids there. That's just what we did THEN. I don't recall seeing a woman nurse (as a child ) out in public. Maybe they were very discrete? Or, maybe because they just didn't go out much when they were nursing? Not saying that that was right, or better. Just what I remember.

Okay- fast forward to today. There has been a health trend to encourage women to breastfeed. I noticed it when I had my daughter 9yrs ago- offering breastfeeding classes, consultants, etc. A good thing. My total support. I think it's wonderful that women don't have to stay home or hide in stinky bathrooms to feed their kids. Much better.

Anyway- sometimes what may come across as people not being supportive of breastfeeding might simply be having to get use to the change in adittudes about what is and isn't appropriate in public. I still cringe when I see someone breastfeeding without being discrete, as in not using any type of cover at all. I have heard explainations online and in magazines about how some infants will not breastfeed covered up? This may very well be true? I know there are many types of nursing bras etc. to help in that area. In fact, I can personally only remember two times that I have felt uncomfortable by HOW they breastfeed- most people use discretion. You usually don't realize it even.

The one instance was my husband's boss (she owned a small shop)at the time- neither of us ever mentioned it to her. But, her child would waddle up to and pull her shirt up and go for it. We've run into her and her beautiful daughter since then a few times (husband moved onto different job) and the child seems perfectly health, normal, etc. I personally might have stopped breastfeeding sooner, and I think that I would have been more discrete (specially when you are dealing with the public in a store).

But, that's just me.

The other time it was at a very fancy wedding reception. One of the bride's maids, who was wearing a strapless dress whipped her breast out the top of her dress and proceeded to feed her baby without a cover up or anything. (Hubbies jaw about it the floor.) We didn't say anything to the girl, but chopped it up to youth (she looked pretty young, barely "of age"- sorry to you young folks out there).

Okay, so those are my culture shocks on breastfeeding in public. But, I know MANY women who breastfeed or have breastfed(and even donated breastmilk to a breastmilk bank)- and I hardly noticed when they were doing it.

Possibley I am a bit prudish that the two times I was uncomfortable with it made me feel that way? Personal beliefs on that kind of thing are- well- personal. People's sense of modesty vary.

I personally would feel that once the child can ask for it by name, it's time to quit breastfeeding.

But, that's me- we all have our opinions. I do think it's important to make sure the choices (such as how long to breastfeed) are made because of the best interest of the child- not to prove a point or get attention.

I'm not saying that this women is doing that (I can't seem to get you tube to work for me right now to see it). I just think that's always something to keep in mind with these situations. She (the mom) maybe the only one that can answer that question.

• regarding taking a girl to the mens room, if its a locker room absolutely not but a simple bathroom theres nothing wrong there in today's world fathers cant be to safe