Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

calorie issue

Does anyone count calories?

I struggled with eating disorder for a long time, and counting calories is something that's programed in me. I know eating raw is not about counting calories, but i'm having a hard time letting it go. I'm learning though, I'm trying to tell myself it's more about how i feel and what the food is doing to my body. I've been eating about 90% raw and around 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'8" and on the slim side) ..... is that anywhere close to the average ??

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I wouldn't get too hung up on counting calories every day. But it is a good idea to have a general idea of where you stand on intake, so occasional counting is a good thing. You may want to find out how many calories you burn, doing nothing. Then you know you need more than that (since you don't do nothing all day!) A BMR calculator will give you that info.

"The BMR Calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day."

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I hope that helps!

• I struggle with this too on a raw diet. I'm so used to being consumed with worry about calories, that sometimes I find myself restricting dates, nuts, seeds and/or other high calorie raw foods. It's hard to let go of old habits for sure.

• Yeah, I count calories, just because I'm pretty hungry a lot of the time (too lazy to prepare enough filling food when I head off to work sometimes... and I'd love to lose some weight.). So I just try to get a ballpark figure to see if I'm in the range of 1200 to 1500. Sometimes I've over that, which is OK, I don't want to go too far under or it tends to effect my ability to fight off colds, etc. Anyway, I think it's important not to get too hung up on calories, but nothing wrong with keeping loose track to see if you're where you want to be, and getting enough nutrients.

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

I totally count calories, and sometimes I care more than others but I do it just the same. i also count my daily fiber intake and fat intake, although I don't do it every single day. i do it for lots of reasons I guess, but i realize i tend to have an unhealthy obsession with counting and burning calories even on a raw foods diet. i'm definitely healing from a controlling eating disorder i've had for most of my life. the thing is, my diet is very simple and nutritious. i have no reason to feel "guilty" about the pure, living food i put into my body, but I tend to do this regardless.

no matter how much I eat, however, my calorie intake has remained around 1000 to 1200, and I feel great.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think it depends why you are counting calories. i think it can be useful at first to see if you are eating enough. because raw food has a lot of fiber you will feel full but may not have eaten enough. if you are not used to eating healthfully you will have to get used to your body telling you when it's hungry naturally.