Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Weening off meds, please help.

Hi guys,

Today is my first day of weening myself off ciplalex, an anti depressant. I am so excited about closing this chapter in my life and getting back to managing my life the way it was intended to be managed, through health and lifestyle. I am concerned about the withdrawals. I was wondering if anyone here has weened themselves off antidepressants and if they knew of any natural foods, herbs or tips that will fast track me to 100% natural health.

In 10 sleeps I am moving to the UK and am so excited about it. I will finally be able to work and lead an independent lifestyle which is all I've ever wanted since living in Germany. I am looking forward to finding farmers markets and looking at the shelves of fresh fruits and green vegi's in Whole Foods, and having the freedom to eat 100% raw 100% of the time.

Any feedback would be great as all I've read on other meds forums is very very depressing and not what I need to hear/ read.

Thanks heaps.

Zoe

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I do hope you are being careful, and are fully aware of what you are doing and how to go about it. I also hope that whatever you decide to do, that it works well for you. I know folks have done that successfully, but doing it incorrectly can be disastrous. I would not be looking for a "fast track"; weening is slooooow business, often needing to be slower than even the MD's suggest. Be careful.

Having said all that, I find that large amounts of greens have helped tremendously to keep depression at bay. I'm rather tiny, and I try to consume 1/2 to a pound a day in smoothies (collards, kale, chard, etc), in addition to salad greens. But when I miss more than a day or two, I can really feel my mood dropping. I honestly think I could improve with even higher consumption, but so far that's where I am.

Good luck.

• Hi Pixx,

Thanks for the advice.

I have dated all my meds for the next 2 weeks to half a tablet and then I will take it from there. I am pretty aware of my body, so I will be sure to monitor my moods around the clock. I also have a strong intuition as to whether something is right or wrong for me, so if I need to more than 2 weeks on 1/2 a tablet I will do so.

I already consume 1 litre of green smoothie a day, at least one huge green salad, 1 or 2 small bowls of fruit and dinner consists of a huge green salad either with steamed or roasted vegi's but not always and sometime with Quinoa.

I'm also interested in how long it takes for the meds to leave the system completely after stopping and whether still having withdrawals means that the meds are still circulating around the body. I've read all the other posts on here about people weening off meds, but none of them have addressed this last question.

thanks heaps guys and thanks for the support.

I look forward to being 100% clean. :)

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I am wondering if you exercise, since that is what a lot of raw foodists seem to be missing.

They keep talking about diet, which is only half the story to being healthy.

The reason why I ask this, is because i know several people on these meds, and NONE of them exercise.

100 years ago (or even less) non of these meds existed. What did people do??

They ate healthier and got more exercise.

They didn't sit in front of their tvs or computers all day long either.

I recommend keeping your mind busy with hobbies and exercise and eating healthy and cutting back to 1/2 for a week , then a quarter for a week, and then stop them. They can do more harm then good, and probably will.

Remember that exercise includes the mind and body and that the longest living people in the world (Okinawans) exercise everyday.

• You're on the ball there, Rawcanadian. Exercise is so damn important and I look forward to getting back to my regime.

Before i started taking the meds I was exercising 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week out of pure pleasure. Since taking the meds and braving the European winter I've maybe exercised once a week on average. It's completely unlike me but I've had no motivation to do so. Today, however, I cut down my meds (already feeling drained but positive that this 'come down' will be quick), told my partner that I'll probably be more of a pain in the *** over the next few weeks and I actually went for a 1 hour fast walk....In heavy snow! I was so proud of myself. Right now I'm researching meditation tapes in order to exercise my mind naturally.

I often wish I was an Okinawan (an old wise one). I've heard only positive things regarding their lifestyle. It's such a pity that they are slowly getting westernized with the younger population more unhealthy than the elders.

Thanks heaps for the advice. :)

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Congratulations!

I don't know about withdraw per se, but I know turmeric is an excellent anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, amazing medicinal spice all around!

I sometimes take one teaspoon in a spoon of agave syrup, all mixed and stirred in, on an empty stomach. Could be psychosomatic, but it acts like a mild stimulant and mood enhancer on me. You could google it.

Good luck.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Zoe. S: "I'm also interested in how long it takes for the meds to leave the system completely after stopping and whether still having withdrawals means that the meds are still circulating around the body. I've read all the other posts on here about people weening off meds, but none of them have addressed this last question."

Zoe~ Unfortunately every drug has it's own unique half-life, meaning various drugs leave the body at various speeds. To add to that, each person taking them, is unique as well. It's not a one-size-fits-all answer. Sorry.

Withdrawal symptoms can simply be the body's perceived need for what it is no longer getting, not necessarily that the drug is still there.

I've had some meds that I hardly noticed even stopping, and others that took up to a year to clear all symptoms & side affects.

I'm not familiar with the drug you mentioned, but maybe a search would pull up some info for you. Rxlist.com is a site I have used from time to time. There was also another site I used years ago, that was a forum of sorts, where folks posted about symptoms, and such...which drugs worked and which didn't, what sort of withdrawal symptoms they experienced, etc. Unfortunately, that was a couple computers ago, and I don't have that link on this computer. A quick search, just now, pulled up this site: http://www.patientsville.com/ , but I'm not sure how much help it will be, as I haven't really looked it over.

Hope this helped some. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I've detoxed off meds and antidepressants. It's not easy. Listen to your doctor as to what the side affects will be. They can be quite awful if you go too fast, so be patient. For me, what gives me the most positive energy is a raw food diet with plenty of greens. I also find that green juice and kombucha help with cravings and mood.

Rawcanadian yes exercise is important but I've found that no amount of exercise can help me when I'm really sick. (believe me this was my strategy for several years) Plus how can I even get the energy to exercise if i'm too tired?

and what did people do 100 years ago if they were depressed? they often committed suicide. it runs in my family and i'm glad to be alive and not another victim as my great-aunt was about a century ago.

• I concurr with the others when they say to PLEASE be careful! Do it under your doctor's supervision! Coming off of psychiatric medication without medical supervision can cause changes in brain chemistry that can make you do things you never thought you were capable of doing; it can change your personality (albeit temporarily, but still), and cause suicidal thoughts and ideations, even if you were never suicidal to begin with. It's simply a chemistry issue. It doesn't mean anything about you personally. I've known a couple of people personally who were put on meds for depression, started to feel better, so they stopped taking them, and then all of the sudden things started to get very weird.

Just a word of caution. That being said, I find that raw food in general seems to keep me from being depressed! Rebounders help with circulation of blood and lymphatic fluid, and are a great way to get endorphins that are helpful for depression if you do it every day. There are some fabulous herbal therapies that have been proven to work, such as St. John's Wort, though you must be careful with that because it can affect the absorption of birth control pills and other medications.

5-HTP is another great one; it's the predecessor to Seratonin and Tryptophan, if I remember correctly. I've noticed a difference on 5-HTP.

Good luck!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

It always scares me when St John's Wort is considered. That stuff has side affects much like it's prescription counterpart Paxil. Yes, it has worked for some (both have) but for some, it (either) can be a very scary experience to hell and (hopefully) back.

• pixx, do you have any data backing that up about the St. John's Wort? In my studies I haven't come across any research that shows that it has horrible side effects, but as I am studying herbology right now I'd be really interested in knowing more about what you're saying! I'm sure the stuff I'm studying is probably biased in the favor of herbalism, so getting the other side's view would be really helpful for me!

Thanks!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Unfortunately, I can't direct you to any written material. I've been on both (at different times) with disastrous results. After a bit, I read about the similarities between St Johns Wort and Paxil, which made everything that happened so very clear. I read this maybe six years ago, and have no idea where it was. If a person can not take Paxil, they can not take St Johns Wort. They both do the same things to the brain chemistry.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

When considering using herbs or other "natural" products, one needs to do some good due diligence on the company one is purchasing from. Not all herbs and other natural substances of the same type are created equal or manufactured in the same way. Effectiveness has to do with the active ingredient. If the company one is dealing with does not test all products for standardization, one does not get consistency of product from bottle to bottle, or even pill to pill. Also a study might use a particular variety of a plant that shows (or not shows) results. If a manufacturer uses a different variety, again, the active ingredient may not have the same potency, thus not effective. This is what happened when St. Johns Wart was first publicized. A study showed results while many people did not experience those results because what people were consuming was different than what the study used.

Another example of this is the studies with Aloe Vera. People have been using Aloe for centuries,.. one would think there is some healing properties there.., However, many studies show there is no efficacy. Then, one finds tons of studies that show the efficacy of Aloe. What is the difference? The studies that show efficacy used fresh Aloe (cut and used within hours). The studies that showed no efficacy used "old" Aloe (Aloe that was cut and not used right away).The instant Aloe is cut from the plant, Aloe begins to lose efficacy. Aloe loses a lot of efficacy in about a week after being cut.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

The St John's Wort I used was standardized & the same potency & quantity of the study I had read. I became extremely angry and aggressive while on it. Fortunately, I did not hurt anyone, nor myself, while on it. I have always wondered if other folks have. I know Paxil has been in some lawsuits. After reading about how they both work in the body in much the same manner, I really wonder...

pixx~

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Great that you did your due diligence!

Not all bodies are in the same condition therefore do not react the same (some people are allergic to water! ... imagine that!)..Hope you are able to find something that works for you.

PS. My comments were intended for people's general info, not directed at anyone specifically.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yes, everyone is different. I did point out that folks who can not take paxil, can not take st johns wort; and that both had been helpful to some folks, as well as disastrous for others.

Thanks for your concern Bluedolfin. That was years ago, and a very scary time.

pixx~

Yes, you did state that. The more times people see/hear different experiences and that people are different the better (in my humble opinion). Hopefully, the combination of your and other comments/experiences are useful to others. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yeah, that's what I was hoping. Otherwise, I rarely talk about any of that stuff. Kinda personal, ya know? It's tough admitting how ugly things got.

I know it's only been a couple days-- but, how's it goin' Zoe. S?

Yeah... I know. :) It is very generous and courageous of you to share these intimate experiences with others.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Please go SLOW...... I weaned myself off of many different types of medications 4 yrs ago without problems but I went slowly and one at a time.... I NO longer am obese, diabetic, have high B/P, high cholesterol, anemic or have depression... So I know YOU too can make it!!!

The first week I reduced my intake by one pill per week...

The second week I reduced my intake by two pills per week...

The third week I took one every other day if it was a daily pill... Mon, Wed Fri then Tue Thur Sat...

5th week- Mon and Fri only for a week...

6th week Mon only

7th week Mon but cut in half for two weeks

8th week no more pills

If you are taking it twice a day do the same procedure but it will take twice as long (16 or more weeks) and unfortunately if it was prescribed three times a day, you will have 3 times the weaning period...

Remember, SLOWLY so your body can readjust to dealing without the artificial chemical and begin reproducing the body's natural hormone/chemical.... I believe the raw diet will help you with the rest of your journey of a healthy lifesyle... Go green smoothies and salads!!!

Good luck and peaceful health to YOU!!!

• Waterbaby considering the fact that meds have half lives and usually it can take 1-2 months of taking it for it to even build up in your system to where you can feel its affects, 8 weeks is not very slow! I'm glad you didn't have a bad experience, but I would reccomend going a lot slower, and under the supervision of a doctor.

Bluedolphin and Pixx, the herbalism I am studying does not come from pills; I am learning how to make tinctures and poultices and syrups and teas from actual plants, and I'm learning to grow those plants myself. I wouldn't reccomend EVER taking herbs that you find in a store or even online. There is practically no regulation where they're concerned, and they can have fillers, pesticides, or other random things in them that can cause strange side effects and even allergies in people. Pixx, your experience might have been different if you had grown your own St. John's Wort flowers and made your own medicine from it!

Let's keep in mind that modern pharmacology comes from herbology, so for example if you refine and process Valerian root, you get Valium. Two completely different things, one is super potent and unnatural, the other is mild and natural, lending itself to intuition. Therefore St. John's Wort that is processed into something sold in the store might very well work just like Paxil.

By the way, I totally understand that the word 'natural' does not mean 'safe'. BUT, plants have a great way of giving us information about themselves.

For example, some say that hemlock and queen anne's lace look similar. One bite of the hemlock root, and you're dead. Eat the whole root of queen anne's lace, and you get a good, carrot-like snack! The difference is, the hemlock kinda smells like dirty socks, and it's not something you'd really want to put in your mouth after sniffing it. However, if someone highly refined and processed some hemlock and put it in a capsule, you'd totally miss out on your own intuition where the plant is concerned!

• Wow guy. I am totally overwhelmed by all your responses. That you so much for your advice and well wishes. I can confirm to you all that I am actually doing great. I know that it's only been 4 days today and that I have a long road ahead of me but so far everything is going great. I've convinced myself that this is going to be a smooth ride as I have too much to be excited about in the next few weeks (my move to London). I'm eating loads of Omega's and teaching myself to meditate. I've just listened to Deepak Chopra's seven spiritual laws for success and was blown away. I'm about to listen to it again today. I've also upped my greens from a stupidly large amount to an even more stupidly large amount. :)

Bitt, Thanks for the kombucha suggestion. I actually bought my first bottle on Sat for some weird reason. I picked it up and just bought it, without the intention of doing so. I then read your entry about it stopping cravings etc. Well, it's working.

Pixx, Thank you for your ongoing advice and entries. I know that with all the information provided here and the support, I am able to make well rounded decisions. Your personal experiences seem to be very wise and I'm glad the outcome has left you more educated.

Waterbaby, Thanks for your advice. Wow, it does seem rather fast, but I do concur that everyone is different, and finding a unique program that suits the mind and body is up to the individual. Quietly, I am hoping that in a week or two, I'm just going to start forgetting to take my half, quarter pills and move on seamlessly. We'll see. Again, I know what I'm playing with here, so I wont be making any stupid decisions. You have my word.

So, currently I am on half a tablet for the next 2 weeks. Apart from having the most craziest a vivid dream last night and a mild cramp in my leg that lasted 30 seconds, no other side effects have made me worry.

This St John's wort topic is interesting. I read that I am not supposed to touch SJW while consuming other meds as it's pretty much like overdosing. I'm steering clear of that for now, in fact, I hope I wont have to take it.

I'll keep you all updated as to how I am going and what I am doing to make the transition back to normality successful.

Thanks again.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Woohoo, Zoe! Glad it's gong well. :~)

edamame3~

Are you able to measure the concentrations of active ingredients in your tinctures, poultices, syrups, and teas? I'm not familiar with the process. I'm kinda evidence oriented so "measuring" and "validating" stuff is what I'm used to for the model that I utilize. Always learning though... :)

--------------------------------------

Zoe. S~

Glad to hear you are on your way and doing well. Remember to reach out for help/assistance if needed. It is more than ok to do so. Sending lotsa healing energy to you.

edamame3~

Since you mentioned you are studying herbolism, I thought I would post this link for you: http://www.renegadehealth.com/elixircraft-mastery-daniel-vitalis.php. It is Kevin Guianni's write-up on The ElixirCraft Mastery Program by Daniel Vitalis. If this is useful to you, great. If not, ignore it. I don't know anything about this area, just thought I would pass on the info and let you evaluate if it works for you.