Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fruit Allergy Obstacle

Greetings all! I am just beginning my raw food journey…and I have a major hurdle to figure out before this undertaking can be successful.

22 years ago, at 18 years of age, I became allergic to sub-acidic fruit (apples, pears, peaches, etc) and nuts. Nuts I can overcome by soaking, but fruit? how do you overcome this situation? Note: This allergy started after my first ever spring hay fever attack.

The main reasons I am undertaking a raw diet is to: - Rid my body of Psoriasis - Start feeling fantastic - Lose a little weight

Any help you can provide would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Hi Mark, great that you decided to go raw, does sub-acidic include all fruit? Watermelon, melons, strawberries, blueberries, mango, durian, and then there are the non sweet fruit-avocado, tomato, cucumber, corn… I can’t help you with any technical advice, I was just curious. Take care, Dea.

• Hi That is a very interesting situation but your diet isn’t too far off from what a lot of people eat for various reasons. I am shooting to eat fewer and no nuts at some point because of the fat content. I also can’t handle too many fruits as in a fruit smoothie every morning. Does your diet mean that you can’t eat oranges or tomatoes because they are even more acidic or are they ok? People have talked about curing skin problems by not eating fruit to make candida or other fungus’s die off. In your case it seems like almonds would be good because they have vitamin e and brazil nuts would be great because of the selenium. Let me know if you get a chance to try some things- like you could do my pimento cheeze recipe and substitute brazil nuts. The fenugreek is sold as a spice or in the sprouting section at whole foods. It looks like a lot of different ingredients or spices but I use them all the time in different ways. You don’t have to put the fenugreek in the recipe but it’s a lot of fun to try it because it takes it up a notch.

Try eating a kale and banana smoothie in the morning if you can. You could also drink cucumber juice and jicima- very cooling. Can you eat melon? Do you have a juicer or are you thinking of getting one? That really helps if you want to drink vegetable drinks. But watering down smoothies with a couple cups of water and ice can make cucumber and other veges easy to drink.

Have you heard about the benefits of coconut oil. That is really good to rub on your skin and put in smoothies. Here is an interesting link. http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/articles/rawcultu…

Good luck..=)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

many people find that going raw gets rid of allergies. The liver and gall bladder cleanse we have been discussing on another thread is also reputed to get rid of allergies.

• Thanks for all the informative responses. I am only allergic to nuts and sub-acidic fruit, so oranges, tomatoes, mellons, etc are A-OK. Still, it is going to be a challenge.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

How can you be sure that you are alergic if you are eating any cooked food? I believe that alergies are simply ‘Immune System Overload’. Have you given yourself a chance on being 100% Raw and fuly detoxing? Try it and then experiment with you pre-diagnosed alergies.

more info: http://www.purelyraw.com/cooking.htm

• Oh yes, I used to be allergic to almost anything raw when I was a kid!! When I finally got into health food, I just tackled it by eating a bunch of raw stuff ALL THE TIME and it eventually went away. I just think I needed a cleanse and was never really allergic at all. The symptoms would be, my mouth and back of my throat would burn and my lips would swell up and sometimes get blisters! Carrots, bananas, nuts, everything raw used to do that to me. But also at that age I ate nothing but a SAD diet.

• very sorry to hear of your troubles.

often, when new to raw, we come in mineral deficient. and that’s going to make you feel like you’re “alergic to everything” until you clear it up. not so difficult, however, on raw. dark green leafy veggies are great mineral sources. (the kale suggestion was right on the money, and bananas are rich in potassium, so two bonus points for writeeternity!)

richest mineral source: sea veggies (kelp, dulse, nori, etc.) also try celery!! you may juice and make celery/apple, celery/pear, etc. whatever floats your boat. but you will definately feel better once you remineralize.

• Hi I just read something else hat could help you to eat more of. Quercetin

Quercetin, a naturally occurring flavonoid is found in black tea, onions, broccoli, squash, red grapes and citrus fruit. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic activity due to its inhibition of histamine and leukotrienes, which are responsible for vasoconstriction and bronchoconstriction in asthma, hayfever and gout. Quercetin helps in psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, atopic dermatitis and ulcerative colitis and benefits diabetes by inhibition of aldose reductase, which converts blood glucose to sorbitol, implicated in diabetic cataracts, neuropathy and retinopathy. It also enhances insulin secretion, protects pancreatic beta cells from free radical damage and inhibits platelet aggregation. Quercetin can be used with bromelain to potentiate anti-inflammatory activity7 and has potent antioxidant and vitamin C-sparing actions. Dosages of quercetin range from 200-400mg 3 x daily and should be taken 20 minutes before meals.

• (oh! another bonus point for writeeternity!!)

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

some things bother me, and the reaction is almost immediate. i have mucous reactions to avocados. also garlic gives me a painful dry and crusty nose. i’m still recovering from a meal i ate sunday. maybe the key is to gradually introduce the particular food, i know i can tolerate a very small amount of garlic without any harsh reactions.