Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Diet in a Temperate Climate

Hi Guys,

I live in Tasmania, Australia. I really want to eat raw but as it is winter now I am starting to feel the cold more than I did before increasing the quantities of raw food in my diet. My family (who are vegans themselves) believe that a raw diet can only work in a warmer climate. At the moment the maximum temp. here during the day is about 5 degrees celcius. Does anyone have any information or advice.

Thanks Georgia

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well I live in the UK and it is cold all the year round, we are supposed to get summer but often like this year it just doesn’t seem to happen. I,and many other raw fooders I have read about, find that the longer you are raw the more resistant to cold you are. Kind of like when you see kids playing out in the cold in T shirts and not caring.

Anyway, I like to eat dehydrated food in the winter, fresh raw foods are wet and the dryness of dehydrated foods seems to make me feel good in the winter. Also a Juliano tip which is to add a little cayenne to everything, not so much that you can taste it but just enough to add heat to anything and everything you make is a good idea. I also like curries on rainy, cold days. There are raw foodists in Alaska you know, they have a juice bar there, so tell that to your family!!

• If you have equipment like a dehydrator and vitamix you should be able to make warm soups and breads. I really don’t see much difference between eating those and a regular vegan diet. You could increase your intake of root vegetables, hot spices, and experiment with heavier foods like sprouted lentils that you may not get into in the summer. Sprouted lentils can be added to flax bread and crackers to increase the protein. If you normally eat salads you could add more nuts for more calories. Omshantis cheezits recipe is calorie dense and really great.

For you I would recommend using pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash and make pies, puddings, pancakes, and the couscou recipe on this site http://goneraw.com/recipes/964-Sweet-Potato-Cou…. Then take the seeds and grind them up and use them in cracker recipes like the cheezit or other breads you have tried. This is really important for you because they are high in iron.

Add cayenne pepper to crackers, guacamole, salsas, etc.

Do you have access to most foods I mentioned and a good blender and dehydrator?

Most animals store nuts for the winter- why shouldn’t we eat nuts too during this time?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I agree with the above. I’ve read in some books that during the colder temps you may feel better consuming “heavier” foods. It’s supposed to help create balance during the colder months.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Most animals store nuts for the winter- why shouldn

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Georgiame. I’m from Brazil,but I live in US. Every winter,June,I go home to visit my mother and we eat a lot of fruit from that time.Also we eat salads,and a lot of shakies.Avocado is from this time of the year,and we make them with honey in the food processor,eat them in salads,make avocado shakie,or avocado+miso makes a wonderful raw soup. Well,maybe you could get many vegetables and steam them a little,puree them and make a wonderful veggie soup too.

• any recipe ideas for avacado smoothies?

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Avocados are sooo good for smoothies! Sometimes I will blend up: 1 date, 2 bananas (frozen if I can, it is summer now after all…) and 1/2 an avocado with a handful of spinach or whatever I have, and sometimes a scoop of cacao (but if you’re not into that, it’s ok) and it’s wonderful! :c)))