Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Falling off the Wagon

I have been 100% raw for about 7 days and last night I made something that I thought was going to be great but it was awful! I made marinara with

zuuccini pasta. It was cold and that made me gag! I ended up being so hungry and not having anything else prepared, so I ate half of my sons veggie

burger. Does anyone else have a problem with this? I have also tried cold soups and they make me gag too. I am tired of salads all the time and

I'm trying not to overeat on nuts. Please help, I want to be successful! Thanks!

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Don't beat yourself up. It's only been a week! You will get used to food not being warm.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

There is nothing wrong with "falling off the wagon".

The first thing you must understand is that most people fall off the wagon at one time or another, and I am not just talking about the raw diet.

As soon as you realize that it is normal, and like Suasoria said "Don't beat yourself up." you'll be able to jump right back on the wagon.

The best time to jump on the wagon is the next morning, because you get to start a brand new day.

Keep in mind that there is currently no culture that eats 100% raw, so eating cooked food is normal for people currently living on the planet earth.

I think it is more of what cooked food you eat, rather then cooked food being unhealthy in general.

Again everybody has their own opinion on this, and some people are die-hard raw foodists.

But that doesn't mean they will be healthier, or live longer.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

There is no reason why you can't warm your foods. If you don't have a dehydrator, then use a double boiler, or a bain marie. Simply put your food into a container which can set into another container containing hot water. Stir your food often, and check the temperature. If you can put your finger in it comfortably, it is fine! I do this to warm soups; there is no way I'm going to eat them cold.

• Same here, I'm with pixx: I never eat anything cold, except for smoothies and ice cream. My VitaMix makes nice, warm soups. Zucchini noodles are my favorate right now, and in the dehydrator for 15 minutes at 115 warms it enough for me. You can also put it in your oven at the lowest setting (ours is 110), if you don't have a dehydrator.

I'm sure you will do great, don't give up!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don't like cold stuff much either. i don't like zucchini pasta much either!

i make raw bread and warm it up a little in the dehydrator. or just leave it out at room temp for awhile. I use room temp fruit in my smoothies so they aren't too cold. i put ginger in my juice.

my suggestion would be to find some foods you DO like and make them for yourself. if you are getting bored of salad mix it up with some new dressing. that typically does the trick for me.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don't like cold stuff all the time. i don't like zucchini pasta too much either!

i make raw bread and warm it up a little in the dehydrator. or just leave it out at room temp for awhile. I use room temp fruit in my smoothies so they aren't too cold. i put ginger in my juice.

my suggestion would be to find some foods you DO like and make them for yourself. if you are getting bored of salad mix it up with some new dressing. that typically does the trick for me.

• Thanks for all your help! It's really hard to start this up on your own, especially when you are making cooked

food for your family!

• I'm a newbie too and I have been trying to go 100% RAW but find myself craving warmer stuff as well. I never had body temperature issues before--actually I was always usually warmer than most. Now I find myself being colder than normal. I sit in my house with gloves on at times LOL my husband thinks I'm losing it. The other day I was so cold i decided I'm making myself a sweet potato which in itself would have been fine but then figured well since I have the oven on I will make falafel and naan...long story short I binged out. I was all upset but I also wrote a thread and have had the nicest people comforting me and being so encouraging. This is a custom made "lifestyle". I'm 40 and just starting raw...took me 4 decades to screw it up so I'm thinking it may take awhile to fix it too LOL

Def give yourself wiggle room! As all the folks have said here....listen to your body. Some days you may not be 100% but it is a progressive thing. I think the more I do raw the more my body will crave raw and get over the habit of grabbing the unhealthy stuff I had before. It is about retraining yourself to do new things...change is usually not easy. They say it takes 21 days of doing something new to make it stick. Give yourself time and know you are exactly where you are supposed to be. Some things I have made were not the best tastewise BUT I ate them only because I knew how healthy the ingredients were and I refuse to toss my organic stuff LOL and trying to give my palate a chance to adjust to this new way of eating

So be kind to yourself. We are all here for you!!

Peace & abundance

Lo~

• Everyone here is so right. Falling off the wagon is definitely okay as long as you know WHY you did it and you get back on the RAW track. It's been about a week since I've been "RAW" and I eat cooked foods every now and then but I'm very forgiving to myself, and I KNOW that I won't give up on this journey. My husband eats cooked foods,too, so when I cook for him, it can be difficult. It helps thinking about the healthy things I will eat and how energized I will feel after eating and not STUFFED and about to blow! Just treat yourself in a loving manner when you feed yourself--with raw OR cooked foods---and you'll stay on the right track.

• I have to admit to falling off the wagon periodically too...it is getting less frequent as time goes on and I am adjusting to this lifestyle... it will get better for you too! I agree with the above comments, treat yourself lovingly and try to understand why you did so you can do better next time. I am also thankful for the above comments because my most frequent fall offs are this time of year when the weather is so cold. I want to eat warm foods and havent figured it out yet. My personal body temp has gone down also and I am like glamazon, freezing in the house and at work. Good to know I am not the only one who is colder (and has a hubby that thinks I have lost it too). I was starting to wonder if something was wrong. Anyone else finding themselves feeling cold?

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

best advice i ever got, so ill pass it on: keep a large variety of fruit around your kitchen and whenever you are feeling a binge coming on, partake in said fruit until satiated. its really hard to gag on sweet, fresh, ripe fruit...and its pretty filling!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i am cold all the time too. I was always a cold person when i was a SAD eater, but now i always have a space heater blowing on me.

No worries about falling off the wagon. we all do it. even monkeys fall out of trees.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Kelp noodles are a wonderful sub for the zucchini noodles. My husband does not fancy the 'zoodles' but he just loves the kelp noodles with a nice raw pasta sauce or dressing :-)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I have a raw cookbook that suggests leaving the noodles out on the counter all day to soften and dry them. I spread them on papertowels and salt them a little before I leave for work and they are perfect when I get home.

I also warm my soups in my regular blender, I just run it until it's warmed up. I have used my coffee maker too, but it heated it a little too much for me.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i wouldnt worry to much about the nuts, your only 7 days into it, you kinda need those heavy dense transition raw foods. maky yourself some pates wraped in romain lettuce and veggies, avocados and honey(if you eat honey that is) mock tuna recipes - soemtimes i cant stand another salad other times it's all i want.

hope this helps

• yeah i've fallen off the wagon several times since i moved back in with my parent. they aren't raw OR vegan, so it's really hard, because my mom keeps this huge stash of candy out in the kitchen for everyone to see, and they always have all these snacky things lying around. but after a while you start to remember why you went raw in the first place, and it gets easier. i don't want to deal with the regret of indigestion and other icky feelings. so i jut remind myself of how i felt after i succumbed to temptation, and i run the other way!

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

My main reason recently for falling off the wagon (on purpose) is to get enough calories in my diet.

My caloric intake for yesterday was roughly 4000 cals, and eating lettuce and celery ain't going to cut it.

Eating 40-50 bananas isn't very practical either, so I let myself eat some healthy grains like brown rice, oatmeal, etc, to boost it up, without costing me tons of money either.

If i was female and 5'2" i think this diet would be a lot easier for me lol

anyway, i feel great, and that is what matters the most too me.

when i win the lottery, i think i'll move to australia

peace ;-)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Something to consider...

There is no wagon to fall off. If you felt a thump, you either fell out of bed or off your bike. :)

Stress causes more longterm damage to the body then any food, cooked or not, would.

Be kind to and patient with yourself.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I agree with Bluedolfin; There is no wagon to fall off. There is no reason to view this as an all-or-nothing thing! Eat what you want, and move on. The more good stuff you take in, the less your body will crave the rest. In the mean time, don't beat yourself up over wanting what you now see as "bad". Eventually, you will no longer "need" it.

:~)

• teacupteacup Raw Newbie

You know, I've recently been taught that eating (particularly drinking) very cold things is just as unnatural as eating very warm things. While it doesn't have the damaging effect on enzymes, it sort of throws the body into shock.

Warm water increases metabolism much more than shocking it with ice water will.

I gag on raw soup too, my blender isn't a high enough power to warm anything. I'm still trying to figure this dilemma out . . .

So, lightly warming your food (i often leave things hanging out on top of my radiators when it's really cold) is really a good idea.