Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

books worth pondering

Okay, quick brag- For the first time in my life I am consistently exercising!!!!

Now on to the point- I'm finding that I go farther, workout longer if my mind has something interesting to ponder while I'm running/swimming/cycling/whatever. I'd love to find some good books that I can read a section of before I work out and let my mind ponder what I've read while I'm moving. For example, yesterday I started "The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. I read the first agreement yesterday before swimming, and the second today before my walk.

Some themes that I'm into right now:

Simplicity

Peaceful living

Inner joy/peace

These will probably change over the coming months, so if you've got a favorite thought-provoking book that doesn't fit into these categories, please share. Actually, I'm on day 6 of a Master Cleanse so I'm feeling more meditative lately, but will probably be interested in other style books fairly soon (as I come off the cleanse).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

When it comes to simplicity, you can't beat Elaine St. James "Simplify Your Life" and the various sequels. I feel certain your library system would have them.

• "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" is also a great read if you are feeling spiritual/meditative.

It really inspired me!

• The Power of Now or A New Earth both by Echart Tolle I must say after I finished the New Earth I said out loud "I Just took the RED PILL" and the best part of these two books you can probably get them at your library on autio discs which means that you can even listen to them while your working out.

• Thich Nhat Hanh's books spring to mind. I especially like 'Being peace'.

One of my favorite books of all time is 'When things fall apart: heart advice for difficult times' by Pema Chodron. Pema is an American Buddhist nun (she is the abbess of Gampo Abbey in Canada) and her teachings are very straightforward, no B.S., and she can be quite funny.

• One of my all time favorites is The Seat Of The Soul, by Gary Zukov