Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NUTIVA HEMP PROTEIN SHAKES

I just went to see a Naturopath for the first time. She "diagnosed" me with having Adrenal Fatigue (brought on by some meds I was on a long, long time ago). She has suggested that I drink 2 protein shakes daily. Since the Nutiva shakes are made with Hemp, i decided to go with that one. However, i hate the taste and the grittyness. Does anyone else drink these shakes? If so, what do you put in yours to make them taste good? I try to do a minimal amount of fruit, just enough to make the shake taste good. Typically i've been doing an apple and orange or a banana and apple. The banana is good, but makes the shake really, really thick. Also, i use water instead of milk. It says i can use Nut Milk but i have a hard time "wasting" that great almond milk on a shake. Do you think it really makes a difference?? Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have!

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Nutiva is awful hemp protein!! They keep the hulls on. makes it gritty. Go for the one's that don't. (Nutiva is not the only one that uses hemp.) You'll be getting less fiber, but more protein. IMHO, Manitoba Harvest is the best. I did a taste test of a few brands of hemp protein powders last year. I no longer use any of them, but hopefully my little experiment will be helpful for you. :~)

Oh, you can throw in a few almonds, or other nuts, right into the blender with the rest of the stuff. No need to "waste" your almond milk. Yes, it makes a difference! (water vs nut mylk)

• Oh I totally agree about Nutiva hemp protein shake...it literally gagged me!! Ruined my smoothie : (

Live and learn LOL

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I agree with pixx. Manitoba Hemp powder is the only kind I use. Here a couple of smoothie recipes that I use it in. They taste DIVINE!

```````````````````````````````````````

3 fresh pears, cut in quarter and cored 1 cup almond milk

• I must say I do love Nutiva's shelled raw hemp seeds on salads though. Adds a nice little zing and texture.

Rawaholic you use the agave alot...where do you get yours from? I have used stevia for years but now I'm wondering if the packets are actually good or not. I believe stevia is normally green and it comes out white from the packets. Has me wondering if they are doing similar tactics as normal sugar...one place stated that sugar companies use cow's bones to process it Gross gross gross.

• Sorry if this is a bit off topic- but it is a question about hemp. A while back I bought a small container of hemp ( I think it was seed? It seemed granola like consistancy.. It wasn't powder anyways) from our local health food place. I don't recall the brand, but I remember it was from a respectable kind of company. I liked the taste, and all. But, I became nervous about drug testing at work. I KNOW the hemp doesn't get you high, etc. (It's not THAT part of the plant or something). I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone getting a false positive on a drug test because of using hemp. I would really like to add it back to my diet, but became a bit nervous about it and haven't bought any since.

ps- I really like my job, good pay, benefits, and don't care to have to go through a month rehab for a food supplment (and have something like that on my work record!). I guess I'm fishing for some hemp users who have never had problems with drug tests. I'd really like to use it, but not at the cost of my job or public humiliation.

Thanks.

Hemp is only a distant cousin of marijuna (sp?). If you eat hempseed it shouldn't register as a drug in your bloodstream if tested.

Glamazon,

I get my agave from either in bulk order from my local co-op group or from Whole Foods. Stevia IS white when dried and powdered (weird huh?) and I use it quite often since I do tend to use a lot of agave. I will, however, only buy one brand type of stevia since discovering that most other brands add stuff (like ethryinol (sp?) and natural flavoring). I use "Now Certified Organic Stevia Extract" (Now being the brand name). Its ingredient are stevia, nothing else.

• sisterbecky like rawaholic said it's not the HIGH inducing hemp. I have been tested since using it and no false negs for me. If anything you should be more worried about poppy seeds showing a neg on a drug test. So relax and enjoy your hemp!!

Oh ok rawaholic, I have used NOW products before...thanks for the heads up!! You get the bottled or pkts? How much are they charging for it nowadays?

Peace

Lo~

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Thank you so much!!! I'm gonna have to finish up the Nutiva brand, but atleast the recipes above might help me out a bit! My first few shakes were okay and now i can barely stomach them. I'm supposed to do 2 a day (i'm following the 4Tbsp serving on the back) and it's hard for me. I've never had a problem with consistency before, but i do with these shakes. So, tomorrow i'll follow some of the suggestions and throw some raw soaked almonds in with the shake to mimic the almond milk effect :) If my pears are ripe enough, i'll throw in 2 pears and maybe a date or a squirt of agave. I'll let you know if it's any better!

I know there are some other powders out there, what do you guys like? I really need the protein and i bought the Nutiva because i saw it in my health food store and it was the only raw protein powder. I've also seen Sproutein on some sites. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions on a raw protein shake?

Thanks so much!!!!

• Thankyou Rawaholic and Glamazon:-) I feel better about it (I really liked the hemp seeds!)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Stevia is green. I started using it over 25 years ago, before the white stuff came on the market. Any stevia you get that is white is an extract, and therefore processed. You can purchase whole leaf ground stevia from most places that sell loose herbs for medicinal purposes (as apposed to the grocery store / culinary places).

glamazon,

I get the bottled powdered variety that comes with a little tiny scooper (one scoop is the equivalent of one package of stevia). I think I pay somewhere between $8 to $10 for it.

carrie6292,

glad you got what you needed. good luck! :)

• See I knew it was green but how are they processing it into the white form. Last green I got tasted almost too earthy if ya know what I mean--didn't like it. Think I pawned it off on a friend LOL So rawaholic did you get info from NOW on how they are processing...it's def RAW??

Peace

Lo~

Wow, stevia is really green. I'm not 100% sure that the NOW brand is raw or the stevia is processed. I'm going to do some research and write the NOW brand a letter and ask them. Glamazon, I'll let you know what they say. :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Stevia can be grown from seed. I get my seeds from www.johnnyseeds.com I like to plant about 4 plants, per person in the family. I dont over winter the plants as they are easy to start from seed.

Since I am making smoothies in the morning, and cutting back on my bananas, I may plant more stevia this year.

Now I have gotten us completely off the subject. Sorry.