Soak pistachios?

ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I've researched soaking pistachios and pine nuts using various sources and unfortunately, I kept getting conflicting information or more specifically, some sources said soak, others said not to soak.

So I had this recipe for vegan raw lasagna which gave instructions to soak the pine nuts for one hour (most likely to soften them) but not the pistachios. I was a little uneasy about it but decided not to soak. I made the recipe (sampled a few pistachios alone during the preparation process) and ate my meal last night with no problems. Although, now that I think about it, my tummy did start to feel a little odd late in the evening, very gassy to be specific.

This morning, let's just say I was late to work because I couldn't safely pry myself from the toilet.

So I guess this should serve as confirmation that raw pistachios SHOULD be soaked or is it possible that it was something else? Other than the pistachios and pine nuts, I did not eat anything out of the ordinary yesterday.

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Pistachios are known to have a lot of mold. However, if you soak them, they get mushy, and are not very pleasant in texture. Also, were those pistachios truly raw? Most so-called raw pistachios out there have been dried after shelling at 150-160 degrees. I believe truly raw pistachios are available online, but I'm not sure if they are less moldy or not.

Blessings,

Andrew

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

Andrew!!! Wow small world, we met at the Whole Foods in Bellevue! I was the weird lady with the long black hair who was looking for ground dulse and Kelp noodles who barraged you with question after question in the spices aisle after you told me you were 100% raw. =]

Thanks for your response! I purchased the pistachios at Minklers Green Earth Nutrition in Renton (not sure if you've heard of them). But the bag indicates that they are "raw" and it appears as though they bag their nuts themselves. I suspect that their pistachios just like almonds are probably not truly raw. I've tried asking some of the employees but most seem clueless about what truly raw means.

I'm still not sure if I should eat those pistachios or toss them. I ate the rest of the pesto that I made last night sort of as a test and so far, no bloating or upset stomach. Maybe I ingested one bad one?

Nice running into you again =]

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

It's great bumping into you online! Yes, I certainly remember you. :)

Even though pistachios are somewhat problematic, they probably shouldn't give most people a digestive reaction. So you're probably right. It might have been one lonely bad nut out of the bunch.

Whole Foods in Seattle has the kelp noodles, but I'm not sure if the Bellevue store is carrying them yet.

Hope to see you soon at a meetup or potluck. LOL.