Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Alcohol & Raw?

2»

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Great point, Joyce! In my experience, a happy, positive attitude affects my body in a much stronger way than how the occasional glass of wine affects me.

In other words - if i'm depressed and anxious and stressed, it takes a much worse toll physically than if i relax and live a normal, happy life - which for me, includes being raw vegan with the occasional glass of wine and sometimes a cooked vegan meal.

If you're new to raw, you should realize that alcohol can have a stronger effect - go slow. my limit is 2 glasses of wine in 1 evening. 3 glasses is overdoing it. I have a very low tolerance now, which is fine by me - it's cheaper, lol!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hi Winona! I'm right there with ya! Lately, I'm good with 2 glasses of wine. I try to sip them slowly and space them out a bit too. Then I feel great the next morning :-D Happily my tolerance has gotten quite a bit lower within the last six months or so!

Oh, thanks for your reply about the 5 1/2 pan! I'll have to find that size! For some reason I can't post replies on my blog at work here and have to wait until I get home at night. Oh well...we have really old servers here at work from the stone age! hehe!

Happy Friday!!

Joyce

• PamPam

Hey, I resemble that remark... LOL. Aviatrix78, if we're weird, I don't think it's because we're vegan. ;o) Most raw foodists are raw vegans and so most of the sites are as well! Of course, not all vegans are vegan for the same reason or as strict in their veganism. I would guess that many of the people here eat honey and wear silk, if not leather.

Animal products are sometimes used in the fining process of winemaking. But many wines are raw; it's just hard to know unless you contact the vineyard or they are marketed as such.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

It depends on the reasons you are going raw. if you are raw to lose weight, then definitely skip the alcohol. it's a bunch of empty calories. for me, alcohol became a problem because i was addicted. i still get cravings when i am stressed. i don't care to dictate to you whether you should use it or not, but just wanted to share with you if you decide to quite, kombucha can be very helpful to deal with the cravings.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Aviatrix79, often wine contains trace amounts of gelatin (cow or pig hooves), isinglass (a form of gelatin but from fish), casein, egg whites and/or albumin. These ingredients are used in the filtering/"fining" process.

Most major brands of hard liquor are vegan-friendly. Very occasionally there will be animal fat or honey used, but it's not too common.

I see you're new, so perhaps you haven't noticed, but not all here are vegan. Thorne's post was intended to be helpful to those who are. Your reaction to it seemed a wee bit defensive and self-righteous. This is perhaps understandable since I recall from another post that you eat fish, but, no one is judging you for it (that I know of). If anything I have found very little perspective on these forums about the animal, environmental or spiritual benefits to veganism, which is logical since health reasons are the most compelling reason to try raw.

If you are leaving us, I hope you find another site where you feel more comfortable and find more people like you.

To answer the original question, I know many raw'ers who drink alcohol without much distress. I don't think I know any absolute teetotalers, in fact.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi aviatrix79,

Hope you really havent been chased off. (Jeez guys, again?) I think you're right about the weird comment. Not to mention hypocritical, defensive, self important, justifying. Well, human...like you already pointed out.

Not everyone took your well intentioned opinions as an attack. Keep contributing, some of us appreciate it.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Aviatrix don't leave, who cares if you're not vegan, at least you understood my comment about breastfeeding and saved me from the politically correct/relativist squad!

• I was answering part of her question as to why it would matter to drink vegan wines. I didn't think it was a weird comment just answering her question! =)

• When I started going raw I was still drinking alcohol, as I detoxed I lost all taste for beer-no taste for it at all. Now, six months later I am ready to let go of whiskey. I'm just not feeling good when I drink it. I will continue to drink wine & sake. I don't know if that will change over time, maybe I will get to a point where I don't want wine anymore, we'll see. I definitely drink less than I did before, but if I drink more than I should, I have found I do not get hangovers!!!! I think it's because I am so well hydrated from all the water, juice, fruits & veggies I consume. I love this benefit!!! I am raw, but not vegan, -if meat made me feel good I would eat it. We are all on different journeys & open minds are much appreciated! :)

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Mead is good, I still enjoy some wines and out of beers Guinness will likely always be my favorite beer and the one that doesn't bother my stomach. As with many other foods, since going to a whole foods diet and more raw(about 50% now and aiming for 70% by the spring, will never be 100% and I'm not vegan) I have lost the taste for processed foods and sweets(I'm not one for raw desserts much either, too sweet and heavy for me). Lately this seems to go for alcohol as well. I might enjoy a glass of wine once in a while or a Guinness but usually am satisfied with a much smaller amount and find I drink it much slower now, when I do have anything.

Lol, my tolerance hasn't really changed(always been high) but I where I used to be able to tolerate 1-2 mixed drinks I find I can't at ALL anymore because I have a worse reaction to the sugar/sweet than the alcohol. Not worth feeling gross so I don't even bother. For me it wasn't about being raw, it was about how I felt and following what made my body happy and functioning its best. I also don't crave it anymore since my taste for sweets is decreased.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Bitt, the stress = craving alcohol used to be a big problem for me. Then when naturopath started treating not just thryoid but adrenal fatigue, a lot of those cravings went away and stress still gets me but easier to come down from. Lol, I had to laugh at the kombucha recommendation because THAT I can't drink at all. I've tried 3 times and each time I felt more drunk than if I"ve had a whole bottle of wine. Guess it's just not for me(tasted good though).

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think most on this site are vegans but they may CALL THEMSELVES vegans. Fine by me what they call themselves, but that doesn't make it so.

• Alcohol immediately turns to sugar and causes an insulin reaction in your body, which is why you crave pizza and junk afterwards. I am working on cutting the red wine out of my diet, as it is addictive to me and makes me want it daily, makes me feel toxic and sluggish and like crap afterwards and the following day every time, and makes me go straight for the cooked, carb heavy, fatty and processed unhealthy foods every time. I say if you say there's no way you are cutting out the hard liquor, and yet you are on a raw diet, then you may have an addiction to it and are compromising your health and liver in the long run. I'm not saying this to preach to or judge you, but from my own experience.

• That could also have a lot to do with the fact that beer is made from grain, which I would hope you're not eating if you're raw. What if you tried wine?