Impacted wisdom tooth

I have an impacted wisdom tooth on my lower right side. My face is swollen like the sizeof a golf ball and it hurts like crazy. I am worried about the infection but also about being put under anesthesia to have it removed. I can't stand the feeling of not being in control of myself and I think thats why I have put off going to the dentist this long. I am extremely sensitive to medicine even antibiotics make me feel out of it! I have to do something..any suggestions besides the obvious??

Comments

• I'm the same way, and I actually had the same thing happen. The thing is, when something happens in your mouth there is risk of the infection travelling through your blood, which can cause all sorts of problems. For me, I have a heart problem, so it was extra dangerous to both be put under and to leave the infection as was.

I'm needle-phobic, too, so I had them put the mask on me before the IV, which helped. Then I disappeared for a few hours (seriously, I was GONE. Weird), then when I woke up I was still freaking out about being put under because everything had been put on pause, then was started back up again. It was the strangest feeling, it was as if they had robbed me of a couple of hours of my life that I never even felt.

That probably doesn't help, but yeah...oil of oregano can help calm the infection until you actually get to a doctor. But at this point, it's dangerous to the rest of the body if you don't go.

• Actually it's really different than sleeping!

But go through it with an adventurist spirit, and that will help.

Have you gone to the dentist yet?? You must have; an impacted wisdom tooth is much to painful to let go...

• Go see a dentist, or die.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I second the dentist--this can be really risky. I don't think being put under is that bad. You sleep every night, right? It's not *too* dissimilar.

• lol obi...*rolls eyes*

• i was 14 when i got all four of my impacted wisdom teeth removed at once. being a teenager, in spite of my apprehension, i didn't exactly have a choice, and was also very nervous about losing control over my conscious. in the long run it is much better for you to just get it taken care of properly and get it removed. the anesthetic isn't that bad and happens very quickly. i'd suggest bringing an ipod or cd player with some familiar music if that kind of thing helps you. oh and take the pain meds, i know theyre not that great for you but you will be in a worrrrld of pain if you dont for at least the first day or two. all in all, though, it wasn't that bad. good luck! :)