Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello, Everyone!

Comments

• Hi! I am from K-town, TN where I’m the only person I know who is, or who has ever been, a raw vegan. I went “raw” in February 2006, slacked off to vegan status about December 2006 (holiday weakness) and resumed an apx 80% raw diet the following January. The percentage of raw dropped during the 2007 year, so over the holidays I ate pretty much vegetarian. Anyway, I started the raw diet again this month & hope to stick to it this time. I had such great results when I stuck to the diet before & I miss feeling & looking like I did then!

• Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to the forum, but have a TON of information to offer. I’m glad to be apart of the group.

thanks,

Jim Carey

• Lady Le HarleLady Le Harle Raw Newbie

Hello everyone:)
    I am from New Zealand. I have been 100% raw for nearly 6 months! I got sick with a virus which left me bed ridden. I had coninuous visions of ‘red grapes’ so I ate nothing but them and pure water. After my strength returned I found I could not smell or eat anything hot or cooked and have never gone back. I have been living as an experiment and the transformation has been incredible.. I have yet to meet anyone or find any other raw vegans here, but my friends and family love to watch me in the kitchen and to try my crazy smoothies and treats. I look at this site everyday and love all the communication that goes on between you all. I have never posted before but want to send thanks as the discussions help me immensely in not feeling alone. There is no struggle for me in being 100% raw, it seems like my natural state. So until it feels wrong I’m here to stay:)
    Much love to all here!
    Rebecca.

• 99 posts by HC on the wall, 99 posts on the wall…add this one and what’s ya got…I now have 100 pots on our wall! Sorry it is majorly childish of me to be celebrating my posts…its not like a master clense or anything! LOL! Love this site and your recipes are rocking’ :))))

• Hi, my name is Julie and I heard about the raw diet like a year ago. Funny thing that it was on a tv show called wife swap where they swap wives in 2 completely different families. One family was urban, went out to eat all the time, and was obsessed with being clean, using chemical cleaners. The other family lived on a farm, kind of in the boonies. They ate all raw, used butter for toothpaste, and never cleaned because they thought that one should become immune to the germs natually. They also killed their own chickens and ate them raw. Anyway, the raw food wife came to the urban house and licked the bare floor with her tongue saying that she is friendly with germs. Anyway, you’d probably have to see it to get the whole thing. I thought it was at first a little cuckoo. But usually when I get freaked out about something, I also get intrigued and curious. So I probably forgot about that show for awhile, Then one day I went to the library and saw a book called the raw food diet detox by natalia rose. I was fascinated by it. I was like ‘so this is real food’.I feel alive. Before that I was reading other diet fads like Andrew Weil who talked about eating alot of soy. When I read Rose’s book, she said that soy caused mucus in the body. But she was wrong on some things too that I thougt she was the guru on. For example, this website says Bragg’s isn’t that good, but she likes it. She also doesn’t say to use organic vegetables that much. I learned that from Carol Alt’s book,’eating in the raw’. But I guess everything is a learning experience.No one is perfect. So I tried some of Natalia’s juices and salads and I thougt they were delicious. I felt good. Then I had cavitation surgery on my jaw and felt worse for awhile, so I gave up on trying to be healthy. Then I used this alternative electric device on my jaw which is helping me feel better so I felt like I had more morale to start over. I’m also on 2 week vacation to rest. When I go back to my job, I don’t think it’ll be so easy to eat healthy, since I am a long distance bus driver and on a tight schedule and our meal stops are along the highway usually with fast food restaurants. So I’ll do a cleanse on my vacation and who knows how it’ll go when I go back to work. I tried the salt water cleanse and want to do the lemon juice cleanse with juices and smoothies. oh i just remembered the first raw foodist i met before i saw that show was religious about it and preached to others.then i found out she smokes like a chimney.she looks horrible,like a dried up prune.i don’t think raw foods or any diet can reverse cigarettes.but some health nuts think it balances it out. the effects and toxins of smoking are far too bad and outweigh the goodness of good nutrition.

• Hi Everyone!

I have been going raw for about 6 years now. It started off really slow

• hey everyone! my name is sofia, i’m 22 and i live in montreal, quebec.
    i work as a web programmer which requires me to sit in front of a computer
    from 7 to 9 hours a day! this means lots of coffee, red bull and
    cooked food in front of the pc, especially in the winter when you don’t feel
    encouraged to go outside. let’s say that it’s hard to feel healthy everyday.

that’s why i did some research and found out about the raw diet. my friend’s sister
    used to work as a cook in the first raw restaurant we had in town a few years ago.
    she gave me great tips! i also happen to live in an awesome neighborhood that lets me
    buy raw snacks and organic food at the corner of my appartment! :)

i’ve been on a raw diet for 17 days now and i’m loving it. i started with a 30-day
    goal but i’m realizing that i don’t want to stop after. it’s just great to feel
    so healthy. friends of me have started telling me that i’ve lost weight too.
    i plan on going back to the gym this week to start training a few times a week
    along with my spinning classes and the diet.

this website is wonderful. i really like it’s Web 2.0 aspect. everyone is
    taking part in it and sharing amazing recipes. i hope i will be able to share
    my own creations soon!

sofia

• Good day everyone! My name is Laura and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I went RAW 5 weeks ago. Before that I was experimenting about 50-75% Raw for 4 months. I’ve been interested in health and nutrition for over a decade now. In fact, in the mid 90’s I became a certified diet counselor but felt so frustrated with food and the seemingly lack of good choices (and recipes) that I ventured into reflexology for the next 10 years and kept nutrition at arms length.

My pull to Raw food began when a reflexology collegue of mine had a raw foodist as client and commented on what amazing vitality she had, in reflexes, skin, and overall well being. So I thought I’d look into it. And long-behold, I began to find the missing link to my earlier dilemna in nutrition. (yep, a big basic ‘duh’). Now, I am happy to be back in the kitchen, loving food and feel I have more food choices than ever before! Plus, I feel great! My awesome husband has jumped on board too and is loving it. Since having a baby 3 years ago – I closed my reflexology practice and now practice motherhood (love it). My daughter is slowly climbing aboard the Raw Wagon too.

• Hi everyone! I’ve been vegetarian for about two years now, and after realizing that I didn’t eat much dairy anyway, decided to become completely vegan. Now, I’m trying to go 100% raw, but it’s a little scary for me and so I’m taking it slow. I decided to begin with a juice fast before I go raw – has anyone does this, too?

I hope to be able to share recipes and gain more insight from all of you!

• Hi everyone! My name is Gwen and I live in northeastern Indiana. I have been vegan for 6 months and am preparing to go RAW march 1st! I have been lurking here for a few weeks, getting ideas and answers so I can be prepared. I have been slowly building my raw pantry and purchasing the proper tools. I like to be prepared, this way I don’t get discouraged.
    I quit smoking 2 weeks ago to better prepare my body for going raw.
    I am fortunate that in our small town we have a health food store and the owner is raw. I have had great success finding things online also.
    This site has been very helpful and I’m looking forward to being a part of your community!

• Hello, I am HealthyMarcus. I have been vegetarian for about 6 years and I have been eating 85%-100% RAW Vegan for the past 3 months. I love the change. This site is amazing with all the info. I live in Fort lauderdale, FL and I am originally from Jamaica. I do personal training and nutritional counceling. Going raw has broaden my horizon tremendously. I feel very connected with the food and love to experiment. Thank you for this wonderful site! I highly recommend showing all your friends the movie “EATING”. They will go raw too. hehe

Bmore not ‘less’.

• I am going on a holistic retreat in March that is all raw. I have had lots of digestive problems and I decided that I would just go raw now and see what happened. I am a little curious on how to get protien and ratios of nuts to eat. Seems like there is alot of nuts in the food and I am afraid they might not treat my digestive system very well. I just started week two doing raw foods.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I never introduced myself. I’m Sue, a 40something from ny. I went right from SAD to raw in Jan. 07 (no vegan inbetween for me!) and joined this site last April. It’s been a wild ride and I sometimes jump out while doing 70, but I manage to hop back in and continue. Aside from occasional “detox” and “morning after a lapse” symptoms, I feel absolutely great. This is a very supportive site.

• Hello, I am new to this site but just love the recipes I’ve tried so far. I am from toronto ontario, and have been eating raw for about 6 months, and just love the way I feel! I am a registered holistic nutritionist/ colon therapist and have had my own clinic open for 1.5 years, It was one of my clients that really got me into the raw food, and now I talk to everyone I know about it and let people try my food. My fiance is a meat and potatoes guy and eats pizza pops (YUK!) he is into body building and thinks he will be skinny if he eats this way, we are getting married in 2 months, does anyone have any advice?

• Hey everyone!
    I’m new to raw foods, with today being my fully committed first day! It’s been a very exciting process so far. I have been getting into natural healing and nutrition and all directions seem to point me to raw foods. I have been struggling this winter with depression, weight gain, aches and pains, basically all the symptoms that are associated with seasonal depression…luckily, my food choices have been lifting me up out of my slump and am totally gaining more strength the more organic raw produce I incorporate into my diet. I have been reading the forums and find everyone is so nice and smart…Hopefully, I won’t go through an intense detox, I’ll keep you updated! Thanks guys!

• modhinamodhina Raw Newbie

ello ello
    I never introduced myself either. I have been a mostly on vegetarian since 15 yrs. old. I am 37-ha-and have been mostly raw but do take in some fish and dairy occasionally for about 6 years. I started it when I first got into yoga, and then went to school, where I also had to work, and had a hard time keeping up with food preparation, so I ended up eating a lot of miso soup with tofu and udon noodles and lots of veggies. I currently and mostly raw which feels great, but I think I am iron deficient-keep having to remind myself to take the vitamins, and drink tea and 1/2 decaf 1/2 caf coffee with almond milk. Yeah I know-I am working on that one. I never get tired of salad but have enjoyed some baked veggies this winter includ. swt and reg potatoes. Sometimes I eat whole wheat pasta with tofu and blah blah, that’s how I feel if I eat like that too often, so I stay mainly raw.
    I love to make raw cookies, breads, dried fruits sprouted seeds and grains.
    I love this site, it’s inspirational and it is so great to have people out there who are into it, I have felt alienated at times in the past because of the lack of vegetarians and raw foodists. plus I live in the midwest, where it’s just now starting to get big.

• (i copied it straight from my profile… enjoy!)
    Hey guys, well my name is kathy! Im 23 y.o. I

• Hi, my name is Liz and I live in NYC. I’m on a vegan diet and am currently about 45% raw. Reading around I see I have a lot to learn, but that is what I do best.

• I have always been a picky eater, having health issues in the past I realized I had to change my lifestyle. Went vegetarian 02 by 03 went vegan. Last year I went 50% raw. This year it’s 100% raw and I feel fantastic . With my asthma and allergies disappearing It makes a world of difference on how I feel.I love loving drug free.

• Hi All! =D

My name is Joanna (just Jo..), I am 19 and I live in New Zealand. I first found out about raw foods from my wonderful sister who is completely raw, but never really got into it until I did an internal herbal cleanse that requires an essentially raw diet for about 2-3weeks. I felt ABSOLUTELY wonderful while being raw on the cleanse and have decided that I want to give it a go for real :)

I am really excited about being on this site and hope to meet loads of people and learn lots of awesome recipes!

Hope today and every day is a fantastic day for you all! Live life to the full and “Follow your Bliss”

Peace

• Hi everyone!

I started going raw (I’m currently in transition) in November…I was gearing up for the iodine-free diet that’s part of thyroid cancer treatment (a long story for another time) and thought to myself,”Why not start eating foods that are really healthy & are going to ensure a better life, than just try and get through this treatment & go back to eating rubbish?” So I did. I started with raw almonds, avocados, fresh fruits & vegetables & wheatgrass juice powder, and I got through treatment much better than in the previous round. Since November, I’ve lost 20 pounds, I eat all the time, I’m healthy & energetic & some of the cancer side effects are really hardly bothering me anymore. My coworkers are really impressed at what I’ve done & some are starting to ask me how to do it themselves!

I’m really glad there’s sites like this and giveittomeraw.com: it’s one thing to be able to read tons of books on the subject, but the community aspect is so helpful. Thanks!

-Pocketina

• I have been playing around with raw foods for the last several weeks. I found out about 10 months ago that I have a gluten intolerance. Seems the nasty tummy I have had for the last 40 years wasn’t due to the spicy food I love but the bread everyone else seems to feel I need. After fooling with gluten free and realizing I absolutely hate any and all gf pasta, bread etc I tried raw. I accidently went to a rew restaruant in Guelph and loved it. I went straight to library and started to read. I have to say I’m not rawligious but if it tastes good and I don’t feel sick I will eat it. Cooking is fun again and my husband is thrilled. And,....my tummy is better

• Hello all. I am a 38 year old male. I live in Texas, and am a youth ice hockey coach. I just started going Raw. After my father passed away from colon cancer I realized the life I was leading was taking me there as well. I started going vegitarian in January and on 2/15/08 I did my first 10 day master cleanse. I feel so much more alive now. People tell me I radiate. I have gone 95% Raw Vegan so far and am working real hard to stay that way. There

• DexterDexter Raw Newbie

Hello all: I’m Dexter. I’ve been raw now since November and have lots of reasons for doing so. I was vegetarian for over 12 years, vegan most of the time. In 2002 I moved from one city to another and alot of life changes, I somehow found reasons to add sushi, really rare steak and hot wings to my diet. Along the way I started eating stuff like pie and icecream. (mmmm…pie) I started to develop lots of health problems ranging from high cholesterol to migraines to stomach problems and depression. So I started to sway from the holistic lifestyle and eventually wound up with a nuerologist, psychiatrist, physician and psychologist. wow. In addition I was convinced that I had to take the medications which they prescribed. At one point I was on over 17 pills a day. You can imagine how messed up my body and brain were. In 2007 I realized that I wasn’t getting better and put a stop to the medication and took my health into my own hands. I detoxed from my meds, detoxed my vital organs with the Martha Vineyard diet and other cleanses, and implemented the raw diet. I have felt like a GAZillion bucks everyday since. I feel that I have recaptured my sanity and health. I have never been more wrong than I was in 2002 as to start the SAD. Back on track now and… eat to live!

• Hi everyone, I’m Bonnie, I’m 24 y.o And live with my husband and daughter in New-Zealand. I haven’t eaten any meat since I was a child even though I come from a farming family) My daughter has never touched it either. I first attended a raw food workshop about 18 months ago but just decided it would be to expensive and to much hard work how wrong was I) After just having no energy,being overweight, wanting another baby so much, and having awful mood swings I decided to go 75% raw. I feel amazing!! no more mood swings, so much energy and I haven’t been sick since. Also I have noticed in homeschooling my daughter her concentration has improved amazingly. My extended family thinks I’m somehow depriving my daughter in a huge way??? But I guess they’ll get over it. Looking forward to sharing lot sof reciped and ideas with everyone :)

• I am very excited to be apart of this! I was just speaking to someone at the local organic food store I frequent, and I informed him of my choice to go raw. His immediate response was that it was a very brave choice.

It’s funny, I decided to go raw more out of fear than bravery. I was afraid I would go through life not experiencing the joys of exceptional health. To me it is not enough to just not be sick—I want to feel amazing. I want to live to be 120 years old. It’s so wild that someone could see the desire to make such a choice as brave. But considering the backsliding (I went on a McDonald’s binge about three weeks ago, and I am still paying for it) and the constant temptation of the processed world, I guess I can see where he is coming from.

I am excited to try out all these great recipes that I see, and I am really looking forward to vitality that awaits me a year from now. And of course I am excited to connect with people who want the same things for their own lives.

I look forward to sharing this journey with you all and I thank you in advance for your inspiration.

• Hi! 23 year old norwegian girl entering goneraw :)

I’ve been a vegetarian for 8 years, but Im new to raw food, as I first stumbled upon a raw food video on youtube in march, and now in april I’ve gone 100% raw :)

Hoping to come in contact with other raw vegans from Norway in here!

• Hi. My name is Mike.

I’m a college student, who (over the last few years) has been experimenting with different foods, trying to balance nutrition, cost, taste, and portability/simplicity. I’ve only been raw about a week (about 90%), but I’m enjoying it, although I still have a few kinks to work out.

This site helped a lot when I was trying to take first step into raw foods.

:)

• Hello everyone, Vancouver Islander here!!!

• Hiya.. East Granby CT.. :p