Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Warmed raw foods

I was just looking at other recipes on http://www.rawfoods.com/recipes/ and there are some recipes that say “heat until 105 degrees.” I’ve also been served soup at Raw Soul (in NY) warm raw soup. Does anyone here have experience heating their food up (besides using a dehydrator) on their stove/oven only to 105-115 degrees? Is this shady?

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hi cocodream, i heated my stuff on the stove with a good thermometer before the dehydrator i have now, like my tea and two sauses. i was under the impression that if you kept it under 117 it was fine and didnt harm the enzymes and other goodies…..;)

• Hi I just bought a book called Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens. He has quite a few recipes that suggest to dehydrate at 145 degrees and then lower the temp to 110 for the next 10 hours for crackers. I was wondering if grains and\or nuts could withstand a higher dehydrator temp than vegetables. Has Cousens been criticised for this or is he pretty well accepted as an expert in the field?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I heat up soup in my blender. It is fine. As long as it doesn’t go above body temp is is still alive.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

That’s good to know! I love soup, but it’s hard for me to eat it cold. Just seems “wrong.” I’ve been heating mine on the stove, veeerrry slowly, until it’s just about body temp. I don’t have a thermometer, but I don’t let it get too hot to touch so I’ve been figuring it’s ok.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

writeeternity: I believe that Cousins bases his temperatures, in part at least, on findings by the Excalibur dehydrator company who seem to be doing a remarkable job of communicating with raw foodists. Some of what they have to say:

We believe this is why many have come to believe that 105F air temperature is the temperature at which the enzymes are destroyed, which is entirely inaccurate. We have also heard many people quote Dr. Edward Howell in his book Enzyme Nutrition that prolonged temperatures over 118F will destroy enzymes. We also read in his book where he says that the enzyme amylase can still convert starch to sugar at air temperatures up to 160

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

This is great information! Thanks Kandace.

In Ani Phyo’s book, she mentions only going up to 105F. From my understanding, her reasoning (although not scientific, or maybe just a way of remembering) was that since her skin can only take a temperature of 105F, the enzymes should be able to tolerate up to that temperature. Although, I know I’ve had hot-cold showers at temperatures above that.

I’ve read Dr. Howell’s book years ago and enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend similar good books to read (about enzymes)? Thanks!

• So if i make stuffed shrooms and bake them at 100.. for a minute or two.. would that kill the enzymes?

• my understanding is that when the food is first in the dehydrator- it is wet and keeps cooler, after about an hour it is best to lower the tem to around 115 degrees.

i have been told that to heat food slowly it is best to use some sort of double broiler – because if directly on heating element or flame, what is closest will cook, even if stirred continuously.

• Hi Thanks Kandace- that helps a lot!