Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Acai, How Good It Really Is?

ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I do Thai-Boxing, and due to some upcoming fights I've entered a strict training regime, aside from increasing my green&fat intake I'm also looking into some super-foods, have ordered some goji berries&raw cacao beans to test how they work for me, maca is a big nono, strong stomach aches&vomiting whenever I use it, have some Chinese spirulina but the taste is really awful and just takes over no matter what I put it in, any ideas on how to get over that one is also appreciated, but I was wondering about Acai, have heard really good stuff about it, and its possible for me to get it frozen for a very good price, anyone have any experience with it and could give some insight?

Comments

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Where do you get this info from? because the importer assured me that it is unheated in anyway, he said they take out the seeds, mash it into a pulp then freeze it, all within 24hours of being picked or else it spoils.

• just wanted to share my acai experience. I was drinking an acai berry juice called "mona vie" that I was told was raw by the distributor I got it from. I later learned that the acai berries were flashed pasteurized and then mixed with other juices from concentrate. I sent over a somewhat unhappy email to the distributor who assured me that when things are flash pasteurized, they are still raw. I think NOT!!!!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I have heard that flash pasteurizing keeps a good amount of the more durable nutrients intact, but not the enzymes, so its not raw. But if the juices are concentrated- blood sugar spike!

• As far as i know, this is the only raw acai available in the USA

http://www.amazon-mania.com/english/acaimedio.shtml

However, after reading IWWkevin's comment, I am not sure raw acai is a good thing!!

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

Alex the Raw Guru sell acai berry powder! If you are in the US he offers free shipping on orders of $100 or more.

Check it out here:

http://www.rawguru.com/store/raw-food/organic_acai_berry_powder.html

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Spirulina - I use a greens powder with spirulina in it (along with a host of other things) and I put it in green juice along with a three-seaweed mixture and drink it really fast. I like the green juice better alone, but I do a chaser of a few ounces of orange or apple juice usually.

Also, I like the greens powder alone with water better than juice for some reason.

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Acai powder is really good! The acai berry whole is probably better for you though.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Acai is awesome its like blueberry but superfood we love it, as for the spirulina I suggest trying Jameth Sheridans product Health Force Nutritionals Spirulina it does not taste bad and its better than organic he has a whole shpeel about it on his site. You cant cover up bad tastes easily and I find I end up wasting good stuff trying to. Do you do hemp at all like protein powder or fresh seeds or even oil they give tons of energy and protein.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info, I love hemp, unfortunately its illegal to grow and a huge headache to import it, so we don't have it in Israel in any form.

• Hi guys, I am interested in buying Acai powder. Could you let me where can I get this online?

Many thanks in advance.

I saw quite a few on Amazon.com, and I'm sure any quick search through google you'll find lots of supplier, I just live in Israel so I'm not sure how exactly goes it in other countries.

• "In order to import this berry, it must be heated, to destroy the eggs of

the insect that transmits Chaga's disease.

You can eat the fruit raw in Brazil, where it grows. Tons and tons of it

fall to the jungle floor every day during the season, and is left

untouched by almost all creatures. This should tell you something. :) "

Ok I tried some acai, and its great! the taste is pretty nice and gives a really good boost of energy, it has such a strong taste&color I think i might be able to hide some of the spirulina in it, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i got some powder on a whim but i don't really like the taste that much.