Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dark circles

ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I have been like 95% raw for nearly a year now. Latly I have noticed a slight dark circle or purple hue under my eyes. Someone has also made comment about it. Am I lacking some sort of nutrition? Did/does anyone else experiance this?

Comments

• :::shrugs::: I have always had that problem, ever since being little. It does get worse when I am sick, tired, or overtrained. I would be interested in some information as well.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Eating salt is hard on the kidneys which shows up as dark circles under your eyes. Guarantee if you entirely cut out salt for 3 days your eyes will look great. It's up to you how much you want to cut down on the salt, but it makes a world of difference!

recodestudios Deleted
  • joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm glad you know about that zinfandel! i had no idea. i do use sea salt every day and my eyes are usually pretty dark underneath.

• You're on, zinfandel! I'm traveling this week so my meals have already been prepared for the next three whole days (boy, what a cooking frenzy today!) so I will try that when this batch of food runs out.

I will admit to being a salt-dependent cook. But we can all use a creative challenge sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Establish whether or not your condition runs in the family. Dark circles are believed to frequently be hereditary. Dark circles and puffiness are often attributed to lack of vitamin K or inadequate antioxidants. You can apply an eye cream containing vitamin K and retinol. Dark circles may be caused by a deficiency of vitamin K. Regardless of the cause, research has shown that skin creams containing these two ingredients reduce puffiness and discoloration significantly in many people with long-term daily use having the greatest effect.

As Zin already mentioned...Reduce salt intake!! Excess salt causes the body to retain water in unusual places, and this can result in puffiness under the eyes. Too much salt can also impair your circulation, and cause the blood vessels under the skin to appear bluer.

About 30% of the population does not absorb regular B6 (pydroxine) or folic acid and need to take in these vitamins in a different form or another way...and some of us raw fooders lack these vits as well and it may have something to do with the darker under eye sitch you are currently having.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

Thanks so much for all the replies. The dark circles are recent so I am assuming that it is something im lacking. I do excercise regularly also. The salt aspect is an intersting one. I do use alot of sea salt in my meals actually more since I have been raw then I used when eating sad. I may try cutting salt out of my diet, I am kind of dependant on it now =(.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don't think cutting out salt is a good idea. if anything i am adding more back in because i have thyroid issues. it could be low iron. have you had your iron levels checked?

• Hi Aviatrix...first of all I have to say - I LOVE your posts! Don't let anyone chase you off here... ; ) Your advice on these forums has been solid and most of all non-judgemental! I just wanted you to know that it is much appreciated! If you are ever thinking of leaving this forum, warn us first! How do you make sure that you are getting enough iron? When you are referring to a balance, what is included in that? Are there specific foods that you find contribute to an adequate level?Thanks! Iron is an issue for me too.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I think I should have my iron checked. I have no insurance rite now so I hope it doesnt cost me a forturne. Also can you recomend any specific foods or ways to boost my iron? Thanks!

• eat sea veg, swiss chard, spinach and even raisins are all higher in iron...vit C also helps your body absorb iron from your foods.

• Salt is the culprit, so eliminate it. I tossed out my sea salt awhile back and now use fresh herbs and some light spices instead.

• alysatalysat Raw Newbie

I used to struggle a lot for my dark circles. But then I came across Dermalmd skin care advance under eye cream. This under eye cream has actually reduced the fine lines and puffiness of my under eye area.