Hey all! Long time no see!!!!

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Hey everyone

I haven't been on here in ages-and LOVE the new look--neato...How's everyone doing? I am fine!!! I am practicing yoga, running, meditating, eating well. About 3 months ago, I started eating a few cooked foods, mostly veggies like kale and such as well as legumes, and now I am about 80% raw and that's probably where I'll stay for the foreseable future. The non-raw component of my diet is primarily legumes like lentils, beans and split peas, as well as small amounts of millet and quinoa. I am happy with that and my body, particularly in the winter, seems to need these extra sources of protein.

My reason for moving away from raw was that I was continuing to lose a LOT of hair (we're not talking about a few strands here or there) and I thought maybe I needed more protein, so I began to eat some beans and such. My hair has stopped falling out, so I that's good!!! I do think that because I was trying for 811 most days, I probably simply wasn't ingesting enough calories!!! Although I have to say other than the hair I did feel REALLY GOOD on 811...so anyway, everyone has to find the path that works for them, right?

Suffice to say, high raw is very good to me---I REALLY need to avoid cooked refined grains like pasta, breads, as well as cooked potatoes and the like.

How's everyone else doing??

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

nycgrrl, i didn't know eating 811 could potentially cause hair loss!! have you stopped eat this way or do you continue to incorporate into your cooked foods as well? i've been eating 811 for 2 weeks now and haven't really noticed any hair differences. the last time i used shampoo was in january and i'm not using it again so my hair looks pretty bad as it is. i've been calculating my percentages of carbs, fats, and proteins and protein is usually the least (about 5-6%). all of my protein sources come from fruit and veggies. do you know which ones have the most protein?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Hi nycgrrl! good for you for listening to your body. hair loss is NOT a good idea.

i am experimenting with some lentils and quinoa due to very low iron. it's gone WAY down since being raw.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hey bitt nice to see you again! Yea, in the winter, i found the lack of local fresh fruits to be really hard to take, and because of the hair loss I got worried. I think it might have been due to insufficient calories, as opposed to insufficiency of any one nutrient. In any case, I am making my way back to high raw and the occasional bit of beans, lentils, split peas, millet etc does help me. I tend to get obsessive and I think this balances me out!

Joanna-i don't think it was 811 that caused hair loss, but more likely the deficient calories. That's just a guess; I don't really know what the problem would have been otherwise. You can conjecture insufficient protein since I wasn't eating nuts in any quantity, or seeds. But I understand protein deficiency is really, really rare, so I don't know. I do know that I ate a small quantity of beans, etc (about 1/2 cup a day or so) and the problem resolved itself.

How are you, bitt? I too had anemia but not sure if that was during raw or due to poor eating beforehand. I took a b12 and occasional iron supplement so that might have helped forestall full-blown anemia.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

oh, and joanna-meant to say, I am not following 811 right now--i like olive oil too much right now and as I mentioned, I can get a bit obsessive about things so I am trying to find a balance that works for me. 811 is right for lots of people, particularly hard core athletes who burn a lot of calories and need that immediate sugar for use. But I am only running 3 miles at a clip now, so it's not right for me now.