Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

i am severely allergic to raw nuts and all melons so i think this will be a challenge

i'm going to start by having fruit smoothies and green smoothies in the mornings. i'm going to really ease into this. right now i'm about 90 percent vegan and have been since august of 2007. i plan on taking this raw food experience slow. i tend to get overwhelmed easily.

can a good healthy raw way of life be done without eating raw nuts or melons?

i sure hope so.

Comments

• I find that raw nuts are really useful for transitioning. They are not required and all the people doing 80-10-10 will def agree with the low fat version of raw.

Are you allergic to seeds? Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame?? Those could be great substititions if you can tolerate them.

• i don't eat any nuts at all, but being allergic to melon would not be a hinderance to me at all! I have so many choices of other fruits. i sure would miss it though! having fond memories of coming home from a 6 hour ride and eating a whole 6 pound watermelon. :D

be well!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i think you'll be just fine. i don't eat any nuts or seeds. i usually get my fats from avocado but i only have 1 a week. i do love melons though. honeydew is magical!! there are so many fruits out there, though, like kevin said. i eat crazy amounts of bananas, dates, and plantains. that is usually what my diet consists of haha

• i have never tried raw seeds since i know if i eat raw nuts i'm going to have to have an epi pen nearby. :-(

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I"m back up to about 70% raw and do not usually eat nuts (melon sometimes but only in summer) and there are SO many other fruit choices out there I wouldn't worry about the melons. I only eat nuts if I'm at raw food thing where something is made, but never at home. I do like seeds, I use hemp seed the most but also like pumkin and sunflower. They are not daily items I use however. I do not think you would have to worry about the same allergies as with nuts but I would ask your Dr before trying anything new.

Avocados are good, I also eat bee pollen (not vegan, but my allergies are so much better this year) and sometimes dairy(raw and only about 1/2 gallon a month) for protein boost. Bee pollen really works for me.

I try to get a very balanced diet in order to get in all the amino acids my body needs to make its own protein, and as someone that used to be protein dependent I am doing fine with a much higher plant based diet.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

make sure your seeds are not made on equipment that processes nuts. don't get them in the bulk section, since there is so much chance of cross-contamination. purchasing directly through a grower or grower's club might be a good option.

buckwheat is also a good seed option. i would also go for flax and sunflower seeds.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

blueyz, do you take bee pollen because you have allergies?? I have terrible allergies all year round and need something to help them. I'm vegan, but I'd be willing to eat this because I'm miserable. I get hives all the time and use about a box of tissues a day.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

joanna & blueyz,

Are you guys talking about seasonal allergies? I hope you are able to pick up a neti pot at a health food store or somewhere because I think they work great. Very weird feeling at first but I got rid of a cold that was coming on in only 2 days and my allergies that always required meds are gone. I live in the central valley of Cal and almond & apricot trees are blooming like crazy. Obviously just for pollen type allergies not the food type.

• Grateful - I live in the central valley too, and the buckeye usually just kills me, I've been buying lots of local honey, and it has helped immensely.

I've never seen a neti pot, I'll have to look around

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

My understanding is that people who are allergic to tree nuts can still eat seeds, though I am definitely not an expert. Your doctor/allergist should have some advice for you in this area.

As for being raw vegan without nuts (or possibly seeds)--just be sure that you're getting enough protein. Contrary to what some will tell you, just because you're eating enough calories does not necessarily mean you're getting enough protein. Buckwheat (which is gluten-free) and/or other grains may be a good source for you.

Best of luck with your transition--I also believe in taking things slowly, and it's worked for me.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

silystarrfish (et al) here is the neti pot I use, and I highly recommend it. It is stainless steel, so it wont break like the ceramic ones, nor leach like the plastic ones. It is 16 oz, so it will hold the entire batch, no need to mix it up more than once each use. No, I am not affiliated with them.

http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html

Any pure salt is all you need, but a smidge of baking soda added in is helpful. If it stings, the salt to water ratio is off; it should not be uncomfortable. Weird at first, sure. The baking soda can take the edge off, especially if you have trouble finding the right water/salt ratio. [I use a tsp of salt, maybe 1/5 tsp baking soda or less, to 16 oz warm water. You may need more, or less.]

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Mine is called a Rhino Horn, lol. Got it, where else? on ebay. It is plastic but I still like it and it has a tiny measuring spoon that comes with it. I was told to use non-iodized salt only so sea salt is just fine. It's not necessary to buy the expensive 'neti pot salt'. Haven't ever used the b. soda tho. I heard it only stings if you just use plain water so please use the salt. I know it seems backwards but it's not.

I wish everyone would try them. They're that good. Notice you cant find them in the cold isle of your everyday drug store. hmm

ps Hi CA neighbor!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"I wish everyone would try them. They're that good."

Yes! Agreed!

And by "pure salt" I did mean to steer clear away from iodized salt, or any salt with added anti-caking agents (most table salt contains both). Yeah, sea salt is great. 'Canning and Pickling' salt also is an ok choice. (Check ingredient labels!)

The intention of salt/water ratio is to get it close to your own body's salt content.

Dark Raw Soul~ even though the neti pot isn't going to help with a nut & melon allergy, you will likely find it a good regular hygiene practice, on general principal. It's amazing the difference regular use can make in one's breathing. And no, I see no reason your allergies would hinder you from a raw diet. There are certainly other sources of fat & protein, and fruits to take enjoyment of!

:~)

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Dark Raw Soul - I signed back on after a few days and saw your question, had a great response then hit the wrong key and it all went 'poof' into cyberspace. The basics are I didn't start taking bee pollen for allergies(was more a gut instinct to try it and I felt better on it so tried it more often) but after a year using that 1-2 week and switching to all raw local honey for sweetener(except winter when I go to local maple syrup - not raw, but awesome and whole food)..yes I DID see a change in allergies. I still have some major attacks if triggered by mold, heavy perfumes or cats but my seasonal allergies overall are better. The others being worked on, but even those I recover from faster now on a healthier diet( if hits in lungs I change diet to foods that will heal ASAP)

Neti pots I think have their use, but to me if I need one means I waited TOO long and now dealing with getting rid of an attack I've otherwise been working to avoid in the firstplace. Everyone's body is different however!