Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I think I'm sick..what do I do?

Ok...so my roommate got back from Honduras on Friday with a stomach bug. And I'm miserable today. So gassy I can hear bubbling in my stomach...and I have diarrhea and awful burps. And I'm nauseous. I felt nauseous this morning but didn't have the other symptoms until after lunch today ...Just a salad of romaine leaves, carrots, and avocado-basil dressing and some chamomile tea.

Anyone have experience with a foreign stomach bug? Any ideas about what to eat..or not eat? All I've gotten down so far is brown (cooked) rice which I hope will bind...and then some ginger root tea to calm my gut.

I can't take any "medicine" cuz I can't have sugar, gluten, chemicals, etc. (nor do I even want a chemically remedy) but some kind of homeopathic/natural advice would be awesome :) thanks.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

A friend came back from a mission trip to Honduras recently with a "bug" that was life threatening. She was sick for weeks and has been told that she should never consider returning to Honduras. I don't mean to be an alarmist here, but please take appropriate action.

Is your roommate still feeling ill? When dealing with foreign "bugs" it's important to be vigilant and aggressive. If you and/or your roommate are not better in the next day or so, please consider getting some professional advice.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm with emtpdmom on this one. you should see a doctor if you don't get better within a few days. my cousin got back from nicaragua with a stomach bug and it turned out to be parasites. she was really sick for about two months afterwards because they were eating at the lining of her intestines.

• Hi pureradiance

Sorry you are not feeling well. I live and work in Ethiopia, and have tons of experience with stomach bugs. If you have cramps and awful burping that tastes like sulphur (ie hard boiled eggs) you might have giardia. That can go away by itself, and it not really dangerous if you keep hydrated. If on the other hand, if it is amoeba, that won't go away by itself. The only way I know to tell the difference is get a stool sample done. The main thing is to stay hydrated. Also take some good quality gut flora pills, can't remember what they're called. (but like acidophilus... that can give the bad bugs some competition. Hope you feel better soon. Let us know.

-osoniye

• yeah giardia was the first thing I thought of, with the burping and gassiness and whatnot. I think I may have giardia too; I have exotic rainforest animals and they recently had giardia, and I've come down with symptoms. I hope it's not that, though!

certain herbs are good for ridding the body of intestinal parasites; I'd reccomend looking into what herbs are local to you to use for that, as the first rule of simpling in herbalism is to use local herbs.

Good luck!

• Thanks for all the advice and concern :) I really appreciate it. I'm a college student far from home...and the only raw vegan on campus so I'm grateful to have online community with people who understand.

The burps definitely taste like sulfur. I haven't had them much today tho. Maybe I do have giardia. I talked to my mum and she supported the "go to the doctor if I'm not better in a couple days from now" idea. And she over-nighting a vegetarian acidophilus capsule that I can break open so I won't eat the case that involves the gelatin. I am trying to get in water as well. I definitely felt skinnier this morning when I woke up...kind of like when you get your period and the bloating disappears? But I didn't get my period :(.

I think my roommate is better now...haven't run into her much today. But she got it early last week so maybe it's done for her already. We'll have a chat.

But I'll keep ya posted. I feel so much better with support :)

p.s. osoniye - Ethiopia? Neat! What do you do?

• Thanks so much guys...the discomfort only lasted 2 days total and now I'm just tired but on the mend! My roommate is still sick..but I guess she isn't raw and didn't slow down for a few days....she went to the doctor yesterday and he said it was some strain of ecoli....so maybe I didn't get it from her? but she could have been misdiagnosed. Whatever...I'm just glad it's over!