Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hernia thoughts

My partner has recently developed an umbilical hernia. It looks like a little lump right above his navel that moves when he touches it. According to information online, adult hernias do not heal without medical attention (ie surgery) and generally get worse. Medical skeptics that we are, we of course believe that there must be an alternative treatment to surgery, like exercises to strengthen the muscles or a diet to ease his digestion and help those muscles heal. He wavers between 50% and 80% raw, depending on his stress level and how much time I've had to make tempting meals. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/ experience about how to heal a hernia?

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I had to google umbilical hernia, but you might look into osteopathy, craniosacral therapy, Bowen therapy, or deep-tissue massage techniques.

• I'm not sure if this will work but MSM is good for healing torn or pulled muscles. I know people who used it for this purpose and will start using it today myself. It may also work for a hernia. If nothing else most likely it will cure the pain since msm is a natural pain reliever. Taking it with a vitamin c supplement helps with absorbing.

For easing the digestion aloe vera or blackstrap molasses are at the top of my list. Especially with all the natural enzymes found in aloe vera gel.

I'm sure you'll find a natural way because when it comes to healing there's always more than one door.

• What is MSM? I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on this site recently, but have never been sure what it is.

For right now he is just being careful. When he exercises he tends to overdo it, so he is practicing being gentle with himself. We are hoping that since a hernia is simply a tear in the abdominal muscles that his muscles will be able to heal themselves.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi Parsley,

I'm sure there are other sites but I found this one. Scroll down to 'What is MSM?'

http://cgi.ebay.com/MSM-Bulk-Powder-2-2-lb-NATURES-PUREST_W0QQitemZ5655718842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5655718842&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I've been using it for a month or so. Not for pain personally.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I have a freind who is healing his hernia naturally although I beleve it is a different type of hernia. I have also heard that massage and cranial sacral can help along with inverted yoga poses but one thing I would reccomend is using a naturopath or some medical source you trust to help you keep an eye on things. There can be some dangers associated with hernias is some intestine or something gets stuck in them or if it cuts of circulation. I think you are right about trying to avoid surgery but I think you also want to cover all your bases.

I will ask my friend if he can get on here and give you info.

Namaste

• Just yesterday my husband was diagnosed with a hernia. He is planning on getting surgery. We would LIKE to do it naturally but we don't want to risk anything. Hernia's can result in death.