Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What's your body temp?

wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I've heard that long-term vegans have lower body temperatures. I donated blood today and my body temp was 97.4 degrees. Does anyone else run cooler? I've read that a low body temp can signal a thyroid problem too. What do you guys think?

ClaireT

Comments

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

No idea whats my average body temp but I do know that I'm really hot most of the time, in a good way though, seems that even in cold weather I stay pretty warm, many times can even be with short sleeves when rainy&pretty cold, and I;m a vegan for 4.5 years now.

• I have always been on the cool side... I average 97.0 - 97.6. Last time at the doctor I was 96.8. I do have an under active thyroid and have read that a low temp is a signal. If I ever hit the "normal" temp I know I am sick. Since going raw I have been feeling the cold weather a lot more. Of course it could be my age since I am in the "over 50" club. (smile)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yes low body temp can signal thyroid issues but also can mean other things. do you have any other symptoms of thyroid dysfunction? do you feel cold? i have low body temp and underactive thyroid.

for thyroid you need to take your body temp in the am before you get out of bed and then if it's 2 degrees below normal that is worth getting checked out.

never heard anything about vegans having low body temperatures.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

My body temp is always 96. 8 whenever I check it. I do feel cold a lot (my hands and feel are always freezing), but I don't feel like it's a bad thing. I just wear my bathrobe ALL the time haha

• I've been vegan for 2.5 years, my body temp is usually 95 yo 96.8. I agree with you kniteangel, when i hit norm temp I am usually sick :(

Not sure if it has to do with the vegan thing, but i've been tested for thyroid and mine seems fine (although i do gain weight quite easily!)

• I'm not 100% veg, but have always had a low body temp. I know if I'm in the Dr.'s office and it's 98.6 I have a fever, but they never believe me, LOL!!

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

This is VERY interesting. I also have a very low body temperature. I do have hypothyroidism...for 8 years now, but the thyroid medicine has not corrected my low body temperature.

Like many of you if I have a "normal" body temperature (98.6) I am sick or getting sick. I had a stomach virus a few weeks ago and hit 104 degrees. Needless to say, I was delusional.

I have read many books that state that a low body temperature is caused by an under active thyroid. I had seen doctors for 20 years with hypothyroid symptoms, but because it did not show up on "blood tests" doctors would not treat me for hypothyroidism.

My sister has the same issue (low body temperature), but she found a doctor to treat her for hypothyroidism even though it does not show up on her blood work that she has an under active thyroid.

I find this so interesting that so many of you have the same low body temperature.

I have only found one reason in all my research for a low body temperature and the reason is that it has to do with the thyroid gland.

It is NOT a good thing to have. It supposedly signals that there is something not working right in the body, just like a high body temperature (fever) does.

I hope someone can give us some further information about this. I would be very interested in receiving it.

Thanks for reading my rambling...

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh, that's interesting!

My hubby is a long-time vegan and he is very slender. His body temperature seems to be lower than mine most of the time.

I take my basal temperature often, and it's pretty normal/average. But, I ate meat most of my life (growing up). And became vegetarian/vegan about 7 years.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

My temp is always low, too - 97.6 usually. And I've been tired all my life.

What has helped immensively are herbs from this place:

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com

It's a very interesting site about low temperature syndrome.

The herbs that are helping me are the thyrocare and adaptogen formulas. They completely remove the fatigue. Raw helps but doesn't do it like these herbs do.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I actually read that people with a cooler body temperature than average live a longer life. Of course if you have a thyroid problem, that's a different story.

• FeeFee Raw Master

I took my basal temperature regularly trying to workout when I was ovulating and it was always below 97 and sometimes below 96. That was before I was raw so I would be interested to see what it is like now.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I do have a low temp(there have been days I joked about calling in dead because I was only 94 but didn't work ;)) and AM hypothryoid but even when I've had all Good thryoid levels and was on a supplement for this issue it never went up. In the winter I always run low, in the summer I sometimes to get up to 'normal' levels but otherwise anything about 98 to me is high/feverish. I know that many in my family also have low temp, and I"ve read that for certain ethnic groups(mostly northern European decent) that is is common so could be genetic.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I have had thyroid tests done in the past but they've come back normal. I was having problems with chronic fatigue, constipation, weight gain and depression. Raw has helped me with all of this. But still, I am always cold and i still fight with my weight. Do you guys think it could be thyroid? I looked up that wilsons temperature syndrome, but it seems a bit lacking in info. Anyone have any experience?

• I don't know what my normal temp is, sorry I'm no help there. :)

But I believe thyroid problems (underactive/hypo, etc) are becoming very common nowadays since the majority of municipalities are putting fluoride in our water... and that is one effect of fluoride, along with other crazy bad things like creating lesions in the brain, etc. Horrid stuff. It doesn't surprise me to hear of so many people who are experiencing underactive, or no longer active, thyroid issues.

• I just started Amour about a month ago. I have suffered from depression, low body temp, slow heart rate, intolerance to cold, thinning hair, and amenhorrea. I haven' t seen any difference yet and was wondering how long it took for those of you who are on it to see progress? I also heard that people with hypothyroid should increase their intake of selenium which brazil nuts are rich in.

• InkartincInkartinc Raw Newbie

A few months ago I got the Kinsa thermometer that records on my phone. When I started taking my temperature it was 94.4 to 95.5 as an average. I asked my husband to take his because I thought it must be off somehow. His was normal. Test showed I do have hypothyroidism, but the medication made it worse. Whatever is causing the problem responded poorly to the treatment. I can best control it on a raw food diet. After a few very strict months, my temperature is a little higher, 96-97's. 

ClaireT