Lucuma Glycemic Index

erinerin Raw Superstar

Hello everyone,

I am on an anti candida diet and have been reading that lucuma is a low glycemic sweetener, but can't find the actually glycemic index. Please let me know if you've got this information. Thanks so much!

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I was at a lunch awhile ago where some people discussed sweeteners for those on a candida diet and got this info. These results were from basically made from people reviewing only a few websites on each...so there is probably more out there on each if you have the time to search it all :) Best to take the time if candida is an issue and see how you react to each???

STEVIA

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Lucuma is considered to be part of Gabriel Cousens' Phase 1.5 diet. So it's not quite Phase 1, which is the appropriate diet for those healing from candida (However, David Wolfe believes cranberries and grapefruit are okay for those with candida, even though they are part of Gabriel's Phase 1.5 diet). It is low sugar, but it will still feed the candida! It is in the same category as carob and mesquite. Mesquite meal likely varies in its glycemic index, but the two types carried by Natural Zing both have a glycemic index of 25. It seems lucuma would be in the same range. Hope this helps! LOL.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Thanks for all the info. As a matter of fact I am eating some lucuma right now which reminded me to check up on this post and see if there were any replies. I think from now on I'm going to cut it out. I figure the less sugar I eat, the faster I can get rid of candida. Thanks again!

P.S. For anyone who just wants to cut back on sugar I'll share what I just made, it came out really well.

I put half macadamia nuts and half dried coconut in my mortar and pestle and mashed that up. Then added a large spoonful each of lucuma, cacao powder, and almond milk. Mashed and ate.

• i've seen so much written about candida and i've tried everything so i know what works and what doesn't. Before I went raw I didn't know what a candida overgrowth was. when i switched to raw (gourmet raw that is) I learned first hand what it was. After I looked on this forum for candida advice i realized that many raw fooders on this website struggle with it too. i thought wow, that's weird, these people eat so healthy why are there so many people on this site with candida overgrowth? i know a lot of people that eat SAD but none of them struggle with candida overgrowth...weird.

anyways, after looking though all the forums i decided to try the body ecology diet. it made sense, since i had been brainwashed to think that fruit sugar is bad for your health. i tried it for a month. i sincerely regret it. my candida symptoms were worse, i felt so deprived. since i had cut out all fruit sugars, i had intense cravings for sweets and complex carbs like potatoes. the diet obviously wasn't working and my relationships were starting to suffer because of my irritability from the candida overgrowth. i had once lashed out at my boyfriend because he was trying to help me and wouldn't let me order dessert one night. the candida had really taken over.

i was desperate. i had seen some comments on this forum about the 811 diet and completely ignored it before because i was afraid of fruit sugar (thanks body ecology diet and ph miracle for brainwashing me). since nothing else was working i decided to get some more information on this 811 diet. i dove in and started the diet right away. eating 100% raw, vegan, low-fat, nothing but fruit and greens all day. i was a little scared, but i embraced the diet. i was so in love with fruit and had missed it so much.

i had struggled with candida for 3 months trying everything imaginable. after 2 days on the 811 diet my symptoms went away, for good. i had energy. my sweet cravings went away. my skin cleared. my yeast infection was gone...and now i am the happiest and healthiest i have ever been in my life. i am still doing the diet and loving it.

so now i know, fruit sugar is not the culprit! fat is! everyone that is giving advice about not eating sugar is still struggling with candida! how can you say that giving up fruit helps if you haven't cured it your candida yet? anyone that makes kefir or anything cultured knows that sugar is what feeds the bacteria. you know that if you don't give the kefir cultures some sugar they will die. what do you think you are doing to your good bacteria when you starve it of fruit sugar? your good bacteria starves! quit eating oils, nuts and seeds, and overt fats and start eating sweet juicy fruit! you and your body will love it!