Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Citrus peels

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I have been eating more citrus lately, and thinking there must be something more I can do with the peels(outside using some grated in recipes).

I know that boiling some in water makes a good air freshener, but looking for a little more than that.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how they can be used(lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange...any of them)??

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I have heard that you can use them to clean. In Ani Phyo's book, she says that she fills her bathtub with water and then puts all of her lemon peels in overnight and it cleans the tub. I imagine any citrus would work.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I add a little baking soda to the inside of the peel and use it like a scrub pad to scour sinks, tubs, etc. Makes everything smell very clean and fresh. I don't use the garbage disposal, but do want to be sure it is in working order. About once a week I put a citrus peel (like half an orange or lime) in the disposal, let it run for 10 seconds or so, then remove the peel.

How to Recycle Citrus Peels . . . from "EHow.com":

1. Drop orange peels and lemon slices in the kitchen sink's food waste disposer unit. The citrus oils from the torn-up skins will give the waste disposer a quick cleaning and citrusy smell.

2. Simmer cut-up citrus peels in a small pan. Add cinnamon sticks and whole cloves to give your house the fragrance of sweet home cooking. Multitask by doing this with a pan that you want to clean; the boiling citrus peels will help loosen burnt food stuck to the bottom of the pan.

3. Scrape off the top layer of the skin of an orange or lemon with a zester tool. Use the zest fresh (or dried) in desserts, soups, stews and casseroles.

4. Dry citrus peels and include in potpourri mixes. Cut the peel into different shapes before drying and use them as decorative accents on handicrafts and centerpieces.

5. Use dried orange peels in the fireplace; as fire starters, they burn longer than wood shavings and smell fragrant too.

6. Wrap dried citrus peels in used dryer sheets and tuck in closets and drawers to help reduce stale odors.

7. Use squeezed-out lemons and oranges to clean kitchen sinks, stovetops and countertops. Rub the citrus slices on the kitchen surface, letting some of the leftover juices and skin oils loosen the dirt and disinfect the area. Rinse out or wipe clean with a damp cloth. Do the same for cutting boards.

8. Use an orange peel as a bird feeder. If you peeled the orange using the circular pattern (the whole skin is one long twisty strand), you can douse the strand with peanut butter, sprinkle some birdseeds, then hang it out in the backyard.

9. Clean brass and bronze d

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Rub the pith ( inside of the peel ) on your teeth for a whiter smile...

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

All good ideas and give me something to use these citrus peels for now, thanks everyone for the ideas :)

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

You can also cut up the peels and store in a jar of honey for a tasty snack. I bet agave would work too, but you'd probably want to keep it refrigerated.