Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Looking for dried dates with low glycemic index

I made my first recipe on here this week..the cinnamon rolls...loved them! started reading more about dates and how they can be high in the glycemic index, which isn't good for diabetics or others...I found a couple varieties of dates from Saudi Arabia that have much lower glycemic indexes and wanted to know if there is anywhere in the US I can buy them. They are the khalas, barhi and bo ma'an dates, the bo ma'an having the lowest GI.

Any ideas? Most dates I found for sale are over 100 on the GI and these are around 30.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Sounds like you found what you want, so now how to buy them is the problem... Order them online from the company you found or see if your Whole Food Store will stock them, would be my suggestion ... smile

• See, I can't find them anywhere..I read about them in a medical journal for GI but I do not know where to buy them in the US...most places sell California or a couple other varieties that are high in GI..

I just didn't know if someone on here knew of a middle eastern market that sells online..I have googled this to death and have come up empty...thought maybe someone else would know how to find this...

This info could be helpful to lots of people that love dates but are worried about the GI...

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi dearbella,

There is an awesome mail order place that carries 2 of the varieties you mentioned (no bo ma'an) plus about 20 more. The Date People - phone # is 760-359-3211. I got an order of Barhi's a few weeks ago and they are very good. Plus you just send them a check after you receive your order. I highly recommend them.

:)

• Thank you for such good information...I am curious since I have never tried these dates..are they as sweet as other dates ..in other words, just because they are lower in GI, does it decrease the sweet flavor of the date?

Not even a little. Just like candy, seriously. Only about 100 X's more delicious. The flavor is very caramel-y. The ones I got have pits and are smaller (rounder) then any others I have seen. Let us know which ones you pick and how you like them!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I love Bahri dates!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

i seem to remember that the date people's dates are lower glycemic index. google: the date people

• I called the date people and the really low GI dates they are out of until the fall...bahri are low but khalas are lower one of the lowest

I tried another company in California that produced dates...they said they had one that was low but could not tell what the GI or anything...

so the search is on for a date I can buy here in the US that is low in the index...

Aw, the dates would be such a teensy part of your overall food I'm sorry to hear you decided against trying them. Happy hunting.

• My natural foods store sells Bahri dates, as well as Noor and Medjools, in the bulk section. Have you tried calling local natural food stores in your area?

• Does anyone know if the date people ships to Canada?