Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Another buckwheat groats question

Hi, I'm sure this has been answered before, but my headache makes my patience for sifting through previous post in the search feature VERY limited. :)

I was attempting to make Ani Phyo's buckwheat crispie recipe. Basically, you just soak the buckwheat groats, then dehydrate them. It sounds very easy, so I soaked my buckwheat groats over night, about 7 hours. Then I put them in the dehydrator. I took them out and they are still VERY hard! Not pleaseant to eat at all. Reminds me of eating uncooked oatmeal....hard to chew and not soft . I am thinking this means that my buckwheat groats were not raw. Another indicator is that the book says that the little groats will puff up and expand and almost double in size...these didn't puff up at all. :(

Am I correct? And if so....were is a good place to get some raw ones...ones that will get puffy. lol

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Thought I'd bump this one back up. Anyone have suggestions?

• Are you sure they are raw?, if they arent then they wont sprout. Also, maybe you should soak them over night and then rinse then twice, morning and night to allow them to sprout a bit and become softer. If you dehydrate them after this process they should be good.

• Hi TunaCupcakes ~

what to your groats look like? Dark? Light? With a shell on it?

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I soak my buckwheat grouts overnight (9-12 hrs.), rinse them in the morning and then dehydrate them at 105 degrees for the rest of the day. They are quite crunchy, and I love them. I originally made buckwheat crispies using Ani Phyo's recipe book instructions and it did work (I just tinkered with it and found I liked them more the way I make them now) so you are probably right in your assumption that they weren't really raw.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i would try and sprout them more- just so you see the tiniest tail poking out. then dry them. that way you know that they are raw and live.