Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone ever started a kombucha from bottle of GT's kombucha??

I read about started my own from using a bottle of the original GT's kombucha...I had my own mother MANY years ago that I got from a friend...when I moved I buried it as I knoew I would not have the time to continue making the brew :(

I want to start again but have no one around here that has a scoby...so just curious if anyone has had luck with making their own??

Peace & abundance

Lo~

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

We have but the mushy broke when pouring it from the GT bottle so I reccomend pouring about a 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of GTs into a Wide mouthed jar and topping with paper towel and rubberband in a dark warm closet for a month or so till it forms then make some tea and enjoy!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Well, Vegan2raw, I didn't know you could do it that way!! I'd read of a much more complicated process, but this sounds easier. :)

I am worrying about the amount of yeasties in Kombucha, but I really, really love it and want to start making it on a fairly regular basis. Anyone have an idea about how often you can have yeast containing foods, without getting a yeast over-growth? I would not worry as much, except, I have been eating a few cooked grain products (cheap and warming) and mixing raw fats with raw sugars too often (ah, Winter, but I'm getting more raw and less food-mingling as it is Spring now).?. I just wondered. :)

• Yeah vegan2raw I know how to make it as have done it before many times...just wanted to know if anyone had success starting one from scratch from the GT's...I bought a bottle of it today along with some turbinado. i see a little piece floating at the bottom. Def have to make a batch to let it grow then another to try to thicken it up so it's not transparent.

interesting thing....I just popped in this deli type place and asked the guy if he by chance had a gallon glass jar from pickled eggs or something---he went back got this one from pickled hot cherry pepper slices--emptied the quarter that was still in it and washed it out and gave it to me. That was sooooo nice of him!!! I offered him money but he refused and said he would save another for me and leave it for whenever I happened back in...so I left $5 in his tip thing as I walked out haha...great the way the universe works together for ya!! I'm gonna have to make him a batch and a scoby baby for him to try.

Well have mersey---Kombucha's yeast is kind of a nutritional type if that makes sense??? Actually Kombucha helps balance the flora...it helps with body alkalinity and when your body is alkaline candida can't stick around. So I really wouldn't worry about drinking it everyday. if you like. Most people who partake of it DO drink it daily and have great health. Besides it will help sway you from those neg foods that cause candida overgrowth in the first place.

Ok will keep you all posted when I start my grow batch. I'm soaking the jar I got with vinegar to get the funky pepper smell out LOL

Peace~

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I wish I could drink it, but I have tried a few times and each time having even 1/4 of the bottle I felt seriously drunk within about 1/2 an hour(this for something with a high alcohol tolerance it really freaked me out since I was driving at the time and had to pull over and go in the mall to walk it off). It happened 2 more times on different days so guessing it is just something I am not meant to consume.

Nice about the pickle jar :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I've heard it takes a d@mn long time to get something out of the bottled tea. I'm surprised nobody around you has any to give away. Have you checked Craigslist or freecycle in your area?

I have about a dozen in the fridge, but I'm not sure how to ship it safely and affordably!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

I'm new to this kombucha thing and when I looked it up I must admit I dont get the appeal. Really not trying to get anyone to stop what they enjoy but...it's black tea and sugar right? The thingie I read said it's "highly acidic and contains alcohol, ethyl acetate, acetic acid, and lactate." yikes

What always gets me is when they say not for women who are pregnant or nursing. Not either but I'll go with that group. lol Glad I'm a water fan.

Like I said I've not had any personal experience with it so I'm open to hear why folks would go to the trouble to brew their own. My only info came from the ACS link below. respectfully, m

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Kombucha_Tea.asp

Honestly I wouldn't take the ACS' word on anything that falls under the alt-med umbrella. They are riddled with unfortunate conflicts of interest in terms of their relationships with pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, etc.

I believe it's originally a Russian folk remedy, and the claims are everything from improved digestion to asthma relief, arthritis relief, weight loss, easing menopause symptoms, headache relief, helping Candida, etc.

Just out of curiousity, blueyz, you did not have it with fruit or grain with it did you? I wondered if it was that or something else. I am very curious about all the effects of Kombucha. Perhaps the fizz? I know champagne fizz is supposed to make people drunk faster? All of this is interesting. I'm going to research more :D!

• A little off topic, but does anyone know if the juices in the flavored GT's Kombucha Tea are pasteurized?

• putiger78....No sadly do not know if the fruit juice added in is pastuerized. Good question...if you find out let the rest of us know.

Hi gratefultobe....As for the Kombucha...I felt great when I used to drink my home brew--I'm not for the store bought ones they don't taste anything like home brewed to me!! I was looking at some of the store ones and its interesting how much their nutrients differentiate with each brand. I know mine was not sugary SWEET and kinda had light fruitty apple taste almost. I usually didn't let mine get too fizzy either. But you must know all the health bennies from fermented foods, why not the same for healthy beverages. Komucha has tons of enzymes and is highly beneficial to making the body alkaline so not sure what the ABC report had to say and I don't really tune into propaganda spewed by our so called NEWS reporters or anything the medical profession has to say for that matter. GT's maker started his in his kitchen when he was in his teens....his mom was diagnosed with cancer, he and his mom truly believe it's because of her daily consumption that she is alive today.

Suasoria well I'm trying to grow mine---will keep ya posted. No have not tried Craigs or that other you mentioned. Did go online and saw few places selling sbobys....Hmmmm, I've heard you're not supposed to profit off of them???!! They are not to be sold but given to others to share health. And as I said, when I left the west coast I buried my scobys and thanked them for sharing their life giving force & wished them peace. Hey all things deserve to be acknowledged and appreciated. ALL living energy deserves respect.

Kombucha has been around FOREVER and was considered a healthy staple to those that drank it. During war time when tea and sugar were scarce alot of the scobys didn't make it...and you know whenever one gets out of the habit of doing something whether it be good or bad it can sometimes be difficult if not impossible to get back into the swing of.

Ok well hope you all have a fab weekend. Oh will be posting a new thread PLEASE READ and let others know about it is well...it's about a law to ban organic gardening!! Bill coming up SOON so lets do our part and get a move on it before we have no choice.

Peace always

L~

• I brew my own, pretty much anytime I make a batch I have an extra culture left over. I would be more than happy to send one to someone if they're interested. glamazon, let me know and we can make arrangements.

• Oh thanks maryssa!! Let me give my little dude a chance first, but if he don't grow :( I may have to take you up on the offer :) do you know how to transport them??? I'm in NJ what area are you in? Your offer is so appreciated...really made my heart warm!!

Have a fab weekend!!!

If we can find a way of doing it, I would be interested in adopting one of your scoby grandchildren. :D Whenever you figure out how to do it, and shipping costs etc., let me know. :)

I was going to do the GT's starter way, but I have not had time, and a proper mother would be easier/more secure.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

Glam I'm in NJ also! I did make my own from GT's. It didnt taste exactaly the same as GT's I also added a couple tsp of ACV to mine because it took a long time to loose its sweetness and I read somwhere that you could also use ACV as a starter. I have not made the second batch as yet but i saved the scoby with some liquid left from the first batch. I did not refrigerate the scoby should i be?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ohhh, ok, I just tried this stuff today, for the first time. ooooh, yeah, I am so in. At first I was a bit dismissive when I first heard of it. ehhh, didn't appeal to me; not sure why, I used to make my own yogurt when I ate dairy. But I finally gave in, and tried it, cause the topic keeps coming up lately (in various venues), and I figured I should give it a go. Tasty stuff!

I kept half the bottle (GT's) to start my own, but now, I went online and read metal should never touch the mushroom-- ugh, I used a fork to lift the stringy stuff out of the glass, and back into the bottle. Did I screw up? Do I need to get another bottle of GT's to brew from?

I dont know my husband only uses wooden spoon on it ??

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

I have the same reaction as Blueyz every time I drink GT's! It's never happened with my homemade stuff or any of the other brands I've bought but GT's gives me exactly the same effect as hard alcohol. What do you think is up?

• well GT's ferments for solid 30 days maybe it's a harder drink...IDK only throwing out my 2 cents which is probably only worth bot 1.3 cents at the most LOL

oh pixx why you touch it with anything...shuddda just poured it into your new mix. I will tell you mine has not really grown at all...think the closet was too cold :(

so moved him down to basement by hot water heaters...see what transpires over next cup weeks...I'm so sad thinking I might have killed him.

I'm gonna check out craig's and that other free thing Suasoria recommended...and if that fails I may have to hit up lovely maryssa bot her offer...depending where she is located of course.

Cheers everyone!!

UPDATE hee hee I found couple people in NYC on craigs...hoping I get a response back from them...also found another site which I failed to cut and paste BUT I contacted a person from it for free kombucha scoby AND kefir grains hmmmm interesting coz I never thought or tried of kefir grains. Anywhooooo we shall see! kinda excited...amazing how the smallest things make me happy lately LOL

• BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Several precautions concerning kombucha tea have been issued. Because the beverage is fermented at home, there is the risk that the liquid can become contaminated by such dangerous bacteria as anthrax. People with compromised immune systems must be extremely careful not to consume contaminated fermentations. Due to the high acidity of the drink, the tea should not be placed in metal containers or in pottery that has a lead glaze finish. There have been reported cases of lead poisoning and anthrax due to drinking kombucha tea that has been improperly prepared. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning concerning the danger of lead poisoning from improperly made kombucha tea. Kombucha tea is not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers.

Side effects

Consumption of kombucha tea has been observed to cause stomach upset, yeast infections, allergic reactions, nausea, and headache. Persons with stomach ulcers may find that kombucha increases their symptoms. Due to harmful bacteria that can survive in the culture, ingesting contaminated tea can be dangerous or fatal.

Interactions

Kombucha tea is high in acidity and should not be consumed by those taking medications that make them susceptible to increased gastrointestinal acidity. The tea contains a small amount of alcohol and should not be consumed with any medications that interact unfavorably with alcohol. The tea should not be taken by people with stabilized alcoholism, to avoid aggravating the condition.

Some people report general and specific improved health from moderate use of kombucha tea. These reports await final validation by current research. There are risks associated with the use of poor quality or contaminated kombucha. Its use may be contraindicated in those who have medical conditions or require certain medications.

megan lyne,

although your intentions are good in posting that information I must say that the FDA is not a trusted source they are against many supplements but support many medications from Pharma that have killed numerous people. Anyone who is considering growing their own kombucha should of course do research and educate themselves which you should do in any fermentation case (such as making yogurt kefir etc)

The FDA has also said that cloned animals are safe to consume as well as GMOs which most of us know is very untrue. They are owned by lobbyists and no longer serve the protecting purpose they were supposed to instead they serve the agenda of whoever is paying for their vacation home.

• Hi yeah, Megan if you read the entire post people here have already been making and/or taking this beverage for some time. Not our first time at the rodeo AND the FDA which I still don't get HOW they can be a combined department BUT IT DOES makes sense, since they need to know what meds to produce to counteract the CRAP they put in our food....I don't buy their bologny--literally. Listen big biz don't want people producing ANYTHING that is a potential money maker for someone else. The only person concerned about your health is YOU.

Anyone can make fermented things like kombucha and yogurt as long as it's done in clean environment. I'm 100% SURE that my kitchen is cleaner than majority of commercial manufacturer's production areas. Anytime you purchase ANY FOOD ITEM there is a risk of contamination---I think that risk is much less when the individual is controlling their own environment. Don't get caught up in propaganda and scare tactics. Research thoroughly. Sometimes TRUTH gets hidden but eventually it's light will shine thru.

Best of luck and health to ALL. Happy Easter and happy spring! Time for renewal and warming of our bodies and hearts. Much love.

Lo~

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I *do* think I would be leary of accepting a free scoby from someone I don't know. I mean, how clean is *their* kitchen, and brewing practices?

I bought a new bottle. It seems to have a good start of one already-- about the size of a silver dollar. The last bottle just had stringy stuff. I haven't opened the new bottle yet. Been readin' up.

Everyone seems to do it in a large batch-- will it work if divided down in a smaller batch? Ya know, like some recipes don't do well if halved. Will it have enough of what it needs to grow, if I do a smaller batch?

• LOL Pixx we on same brain wave...I was just telling my husband that same thing last night after I really sat down and thought about it. This guy from Brooklyn is supposedly a biochemist guy says he has PURE scobys that have only been in organic tea and sugars with pure water never tap....hmmmmm I'm leary he could have altered it to make me his personal experiment LOL I replied back to him I am trying another go round with GT's...going shopping today to try and look for bottle that has a noticeable culture piece in it...sounds like you got a good one!! I had a scraggedy little teenie tiny floater...and as I said, he didnt do much poor fellow...it wasn't warm enough either sooooooo BACK to whole foods uuughhhhhh never get out of there spending less than FIDDY hate that hahahaha

Oh BTW...found a kombucha specific site...so might hit some of those folks up should my next adventure in scoby production fail....it's www.kombucha.ning.com just signed up yesterday I think LOL brain is fuzzy

peace out!!

where do you store your scoby when you are not using it?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

This is a good site about kombucha: http://www.happyherbalist.com/analysis_of_kombucha.htm

• I would say make a reasonable effort to keep things clean, wash your brewing vessel (I use a gallon-sized glass fishbowl) before starting, use a clean wooden spoon, etc. The guy I bought my starter from said that the kombucha organism is pretty strong and will fight off other stuff. It's a similar idea with yogurt, sauerkraut, or even your own digestive system. You're encouraging the growth of beneficial bacteria which will fight off the bad ones. Also if you have a reasonably strong immune system you can fight off any food-borne illnesses pretty quickly. And sorry, but the anthrax claim seems completely whack.

I live in the SF Bay Area and would happily send anyone one of my booch babies. I usually store them in glass in some of the tea, but occasionally use tupperware. You can contact me at maryssajoy-at-yahoo-dot-com if you want to talk logistics. I've never mailed one before, but I think using a tightly sealed glass mason jar, and some good packaging just might work.

• Oh, and it's my understanding that booch has a very slight alcohol content (like maybe .05%, that number could be wrong), so it would make sense that if you have an alcohol sensitivity or are recovering from alcohol that it's best to avoid it. There are other probiotic options out there. I did once have a friend who was studying anthropology tell me that primates often eat fruit that has fermented on the jungle floor. So it's very likely that our predecessors hung out all day with a slight buzz on ;)

I have mine in some tea in a glass soda bottle with the plunger cap. It is in my cabinet. Is it ok like that, I have heard of people refrigerating and or freezing them, is it ever too long to keep it just sitting there or basically the longer the better?

• well ddigiacomo if you are not usin it to make the tea at the moment ya might wanna store it in fridge to slow down fermentation...don't think it will hurt it or anything if you leave it out tho. You will def wanna start a new batch and not use the some that has been fermenting for a LONG time.

Hiya maryssa you are so sweet. Well I'm giving the GT's another shot LOL...found a guy in NYC that may be willing to "sell" a scoby...HmmmphF I heard you are not suppsed to profit from them but eh such is life I suppose. Wish me luck on my second attempt of GT hahaha. I think it's because it's slightly chilly in my house all the time. I decided to use a small heater by my scoby in the evening especially.

OK cheers to all...will keep you posted.

Pixx, I would stick to the recommended size batch -- the little guy needs to eat and drink in certain quantities. I think my recipe is 12 cups water, 1 cup sugar, five teabags, about a week's brewing time. We go through it slowly, so I don't make it every week. It keeps great in the fridge for me.

The scobys, including the mother, go in ziplock bags in the fridge with a little tea to keep them moist.

In a bottle of GT, I would think the sugar and tea has mostly been consumed already so there's probably little fuel to support a new mushroom. Maybe try adding a shot of extra strong sugared (boiled) tea?

I know a guy who knows the GT guy, maybe he can help.