Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

hypothyroidism- experience, advice?

wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I posted a thread about body temp a bit ago, which raised some questions about hypothyroidism.

I had my thyroid checked in 2005 when i was really sick (crohns type symptoms). They said my thyroid was ok then.

But even though I have changed my lifestyle pretty radically, I still wrestle with constipation, low body temp, being cold all the time and have a difficult time losing weight. I'm the only person I know training for a marathon that still can't lose weight (I mean really!)

Does this sound like hypothyroidism or something else? Does anyone have any advice in kick-starting the thyroid?

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Have yourself tested specifically for Hoshimoto's thyroid disorder. I was tested for 20+ years for thryroid problems. Even the doctors knew I had it, but the tests always came back "negative". Then, I went to a naturopath who tested for hoshimoto's and sure enough...I had it. Hoshimoto's isn't a true hypothyroid. It is an autoimmune disorder that demonstrates itself as decreased thryoid function. But, it doesn't show up in a regular thyroid panel. It is a simple blood test.

Hope this helps!

-Sunny

• I have the same probelms.. cold all the time, difficulty losing weight even though I am an avid runner, problems with my period, and depression. Hypothyrodism runs in my family and Im sure I have it but tests always come back negative.

Spiritedmama- after you were diagnosed what was your treatment and has it helped?

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Wow! It amazes me that you can exercise much at all with hypothyroidism. Some of the main symptoms are low energy and muscle weakness.

• I deffinately have low energy.. It is rather strange that I can make myself run 5 miles but it seems impossible for me to walk to my car or do simple tasks like walking up stairs. I guess sometimes it is true mind over matter. I am seeing an ND now who is trying to balance my hormones so hopefully this will help. I am getting desperate for anything to make me feel better at this point. I feel like I am living in a dream and I am in a constant fog. It is a terrible way to live!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

If this is useful, use it. If not, skip it.

Consider any "disease name" is a group of symptoms and is simply a device for the medical profession to mask the symptoms with drugs and not getting to the (deficiency) cause. When one gives the body what supports optimum functioning, the body will maintain, regulate (hormonal system), and defend itself. Finding what is missing for you is key.

If you are interested in exploring a non-toxic option, feel free to contact me (email addy in profile).

• Bluedolfin- I would be very interested! I tried to e-mail you but it came back saying it wasnt a valid address.

blueberrybabe~ Bummer the email bounced. Please try again to send your email. You might have misunderstood how to enter the correct email addy. My email addy is: purple_obi(at)yahoo(dot)com. The address has an underscore ( _ ) between purple and obi. Use the @ for the (at) and . for the (dot). I'm online right now if you want to try again.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

i will only do non-toxic options. Ive been wondering what i can add/ take away in life to help balance me out. I started taking dried kelp for iodine. I read iodine deficiency is a common cause for making the thyroid go underactive. I also stopped using flouride toothpaste. How long does it take to come back from a deficiency like this? Ive heard that some can take years.

wichten~ Sorry, no easy answer. Some see shifts right away, others experience a shift over a longer time. For some, it is like switching on a light bulb. Others it is like a smoldering fire. Each body is different. Each person lives in different conditions. People eat differently, are exposed to different toxins including stress, stored toxins, genetic tendencies, etc. When supporting the body's optimum functioning, the body gets to choose what the body does with the resources given. There might actually be something in the body that is robbing resources from another system (robbing Peter to pay Paul) that is a higher priority for "living." Therefore, one may not see a shift in what they are targeting but see shifts in other functions first as the body takes advantage of the additional resources. When taking a drug that goes against the body's natural functions, the drug only masks the issue and one sees something fairly quickly or the drug is deemed the "wrong" drug. Giving the body basic, foundational nutrition and other supportive resources, allows the body to do the "miracles" it is capable of accomplishing... many things thought of to be "impossible." Healthy cells need to be made to replace damaged cells while keeping up the replacement of dieing cells. Different types of cells have different life spans. Email me if you are interested in reading an article on what to expect when starting to give the body additional resources. The article includes a chart of the life span of different cells and other info that might make the process clearer.

To your wellness...

• Bluedolfin- I tried again and still didnt work! maybe you could try e-mailing me first?

blueberrybabe~ I just emailed you. :) I've been getting emails at my email addy all day so I'm not sure why yours aren't getting to me. It sometimes is a confusing email addy. My email will have my email addy on it for your convenience. Good thing you posted here that the emails bounced. We are now connecting. :)

EDIT: I see you got my email. ;) (It feels like we have a secret handshake, teehee)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I have hypothyhroid symptoms. My TH4 was tested and it came back within range. I think there is a problem with the TH4 making T3. I stopped eating foods with goitrogens (iodine blockers), started taking colloidal iodine and continue to eat brown seaweed (fucus) and kelp powder. Lots of things can cause hypothyroid (candida, mercury, autoimmune diseases, iodine deficiency, other environmmental toxins....). I also began adding free-range eggs, raw butter and some cooked vegetables to my diet. I've been taking Nutribiotics rice protein powder that I add to smoothies. It keeps me regular. I needed protein, apparently, because I'm gradually improving. I also started taking a probiotic from Baseline Nutritionals and EFA SIRT Supreme from Biotics. I hope that you find what works for YOU.

123~ Welcome back. Long time no see.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Thank you. I haven't been posting but I have kept up with the recipes. The group has really changed, there are lots of new members and lots of older ones aren't posting regularly. It's good to see that you're still here.

• You may want to look into possible fluoridation of your municipality's water as a big contributer to hypothyroidsim. Fluoride added to most U.S. citie's drinking water is responsible for prohibiting proper thryoid function, contributing to and causing hypothyroidism.

http://www.pr-inside.com/first-ever-government-review-of-fluoride-thyroi...

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/toxicchemicalsan/a/flouride.htm

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shamesfluoride.htm

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/thyroid/

Fluoride was used by the Nazis in the concentration camps' water supply to prisoners because they knew about its numbing, pacifying, and "calming down" affect it has on people. That way the prisoners were less likely to try to resist and fight back. It also causes brain lesions, among other things, while the recent studies show it does not help prevent cavities, and the original "scientific tests" performed in the 1940's were, in fact, flawed and possibly biased. Fluoride is also found in most toothpastes (read how it isn't safe to swallow even the smallest amount of toothpaste on the back of each tube, too), and in many packaged and processed foods and children's foods.

- "Professional Perspective on Fluoride" - 5 min video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7984669833566646476&ei=Ia7fSbzN... - "The Fluoride Deception" Dr. Stanley Monteith - 1 hr video

I've heard that too much iodine (e.g.: kelp) can also be bad for hypothyroidism, as it causes the thyroid to quit producing any iodine at all, and that selenium defeciency can contribute towards hypothyroidism. Possibly some things to research. ? (I have researched it quite a bit as I thought my dog was hypothyroid, although now it appears he may have Cushings dis-ease which can present similar to hypothyroidism.)

Best of luck to all!