Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

why no fish?

i read some post about fish not being good for you... salmon is relatively low in mercury, its such a nice treat to have occasionally, feels like a boost of vitality.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

The general guidelines for this site are that we discuss raw, vegan recipes and advice, as the heading for the site indicates. It's certainly not necessary that one eat all raw or vegan to participate in the site. I'm sure there are many on here who eat at least some cooked and non-vegan foods. However, Kandace and Ray (site administrators) have stated on several occasions their preference that discussions and recipes on this site center on raw and vegan. With that in mind, fish would not be considered acceptable by raw, vegan standards.

Welcome to Gone Raw, and do keep the questions and discussions coming.

• I think you will find this thread has some answers, in regards to your question...

http://goneraw.com/forum/friend-new-veganism-needs-convincing-why-eggs-and-fish-are-bad-health

I would also recommend "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II.

http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html

You might also find Dr. Michael Greger, M.D. informative as well. Here is one of his newsletters discussing Mercury Contamination in Fish...

http://www.drgreger.org/may2004.html

Here is a list of past newsletters from Dr. Michael Greger, M.D.

http://www.drgreger.org/newsletters.html

• no i'm more interested in the answers to 'why raw fish isn't "raw"' and looks like im headed down the right path.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Environmental impacts of fishing are great; fish feel pain (why would you want to cause another being to die/suffer?); the nutrients, if any, outweigh the negative effects of the toxins.

Eating fish is like filtering water through a sewer and then drinking it. MIght as well eat algae and microalgae for your nutrients, if you want.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

obviously fish can be eaten raw, but it is not vegan, which, as emtpdmom so eloquently stated, is one of the criteria for recipes (and topics) discussed on this board. I'm sure you can find other people who enjoy eating fish elsewhere on the web. However, on this site you're likely to find people who, like myself, think that sentient beings should be allowed to live their lives and not be slaughtered for human nourishment, even if it makes you feel good to eat their corpses.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Why NO Fish?

Fish is a great example of a 'Better Than' that is now believed to be actually good for you. There are many other examples, soy comes to mind. Originally fish became a choice over beef because of it's lower fat makeup, less cholesterol etc. Then people said that it also had Good oils, Omegas and all!

Well now they say that eating cholesterol doesn't raise your cholesterol, so what do you do? Also... The Omegas are coming from the sea vegetables that sea creatures consume so you can eat the seaweed yourself and get your Omega's from the source instead of 2nd hand.

What really matters in comparing animal flesh for human consumption is the level of animal protein... That's the killer! That's what clogs us up. It's in the fat but it's not just the fat. When you compare seafood to chicken, beef or other forms of flesh food, you will find the animal protein levels are basically the same.

Also like all other animal flesh, seafood contains uric acid and our body does not make Uricase. (an enzyme which is needed to digest the uric acid) All meat eating animals on the planet naturally produce Uricase. Why don't we?

So really there is not much difference health wise in fishies, duckies or moo cows. This belief comes from old information.

and lastly...

Officially Sea Creatures everywhere will praise you on your wisdom and good taste.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Fish just doesnt seem "Raw" to me. Even when its not cooked. It's Dead... therefore in my book not Raw. I guess there could be a whole argument about picked veggies being dead at that point but thats my story and I'm sticking to it :)