Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is it ok to grind before soaking?

I was wondering if it would be ok to grind seeds like flax, and sesame, as well as nuts, before soaking first. Would the enzyme inhibitors still be intact if we do not soak prior to grinding? Or could soaking the grounds release them as well? I'm asking because yesterday I soaked some sesame, let them dry as much as possible then ground them up and it was just a wet sesame mess. By the way I do not have a dehydrator.

Thanks for any responses!

Comments

• anybody?????

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

You don't need to soak flax seeds, unless you want a "gooey" texture. In that case, "yes" grind them.

Regarding "Would the enzyme inhibitors still be intact if we do not soak prior to grinding?"... Are you asking if enzyme inhibitors are intact if you do not soak AFTER grinding? Good question!

I do know if you grind them (for example, flaxseed), they will go rancid after several days. So is the enzyme inhibitor deactivated?

I believe that grinding nuts/seeds affects enzyme inhibitors... but I'm not sure what. If 'chipped' seeds do not sprout, what does that mean about the enzyme inhibitors? I think they are still there... but are they still active? Is it just like cooking where it deactivates the enzyme inhibitor and it's is still there at consumption yet it doesn't interfere with digestion?

If someone could shed light on grinding & enzyme inhibitors, please do. This is an interesting question.

• I am not sure wether the enzyme inhibitors are still active after grinding, however I know that nuts benefit a lot from being soaked. Smaller seeds such as sesame/flax/hemp I do not soak, as they end up just as a gooey mess. Also, I believe that they do not have the same inhibitors (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think you're question was wether it is ok to grind nuts/seeds THEN soak them. In answer to that question, if you choose to grind without soaking, then don't soak them at all. There is no advantage to soaking the ground nuts/seeds, as there isn't really any way to drain them, and they will become water-clogged.

Personally, I think it is fine to sometimes not soak nuts/seeds (especially a softer nut and/or smaller seeds) from time to time.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks for the responses guys...

I know the question sounds a little confusing, I think probably the best way to go about this then would be soak, dehydrate then grind, to make sure to deactivate the enzyme inhibitors. I'm gonna have to wait on that though since I do not have a dehydrator. Oh well I guess for now I'll just keep the "little seed" consumption down.

• Hey there,

Just wanted to add to this discussion since I have gone through something similar. I had a regular morning smoothie that included ground flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds - not soaked. I loved my smoothie and did it for years but always noticed bloating and much gurgling in my tummy. My raw food friend suggested that I soak the seeds. It made a big difference. Sometimes I would soak large quantities before and dry them. Other times I have ground them then soaked over night or just in my smoothie for half hour before preparing. Grinding first then soaking DID make a difference. Grinding alone did not seem to destroy the enzyme inhibitors. I also suggest staying away from flax seed. There is a lot of controversy over vitamin inhibitors in it that affect your ability to absorb B vitamins. Flax seed is actually banned in France and Germany has some strict rules about it which you can find online. Chia seed is a much better alternative and has more benefits.

What? Flaxseed is banned in France & Germany? Hemp seed is another good alternative - no?

Grinding first then soaking... I wonder why there is more of an impact that way. How long did you soak for?

Maybe you didn't soak the whole nut/seed long enough... say, 24 hours for seeds and 48 hours for nuts (changing the water throughout)

Wow, i didn't know enzyme inhibitors could affect vitamin B asborption... that is good (for me) to know!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I agree that if you grind first, then soak, it will be too hard to drain and separate a ground nut or seed from the water.

I think the only "nuts" that do NOT have enzyme inhibitors are hazelnuts and Brazil nuts.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

Flax is not banned in France I eat them all the time.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Wow, brazil nuts don't have enzyme inhibitors? Does anyone know why? I eat them all the time, and have been soaking them when I remember.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm not sure why. Maybe those and hazelnuts are the only ones that should be eaten?

Brazil nuts & hazel nuts have less (or a little bit of) enzyme inhibitors... ummm, someone sent me a link last time, but I don't have it.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I think hemp seeds don't have enzyme inhibitors either.. and soaked hazelnuts are amazing! all that creamy sweet liquid inside of them is so much strong tasting!