Nut trees?

Hello everybody! I was hoping someone might be able to give me some information on what nut trees would grow in Zone 4? I'm looking to plant some fruit and nut trees this summer so hopefully I can have a backyard raw oasis someday.

Almonds do not grow here, cashews don't either and as many of you know these two are staples in raw diets. Are there nuts that could replace the two in raw recipes, whose trees would grow in my climate?

Comments

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

walnuts for sure and maybe pecans. Talk to someone at your local greenhouse and they can help you out. Certain walnut trees (black walnuts?) will poison other trees around them (except for other black walnuts)

Chestnuts will grow too- but i dont know how to shell these without cooking them.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

maybe hazelnuts - there are so many varieties. Some are hardier than others. They also grow as bush varieties, so easier to maintain and put netting around to keep rodents and birds from eating your harvest. second the recommendation to ask your local nursery.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

What about sunflowers? They would yield an immediate crop (no waiting for trees to mature before yielding fruit). I love sunflower seed. I usually sprout, then dehydrate them. Yum!

• American Butternut, Hazelnut, and Walnut will grow in Zone 4. Shagbark Hickory also grows in Zone 4, but I have never tried this kind of nut myself.