Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oh so tired and bloated/fat ...

Okay, I am new to raw. I find myself addicted to many cooked an/or processed foods even though I have been studying raw food, the dangers of packaged foods as well as dairy, etc.

Anyway, I need to lose probably about 50 pounds. I am 5' tall and 165lbs. after having two children and getting myself into a sedentary pattern. Also, I am a sweets-a-holic. I have a juiceman juicer, a good dehydrator, a vita-mix and a mini food processor, so I have pretty much all of the equipment I need plus many raw food staples (ALL RAW : nuts, seeds, fruit, cacao powder, cacao butter, coconut oil, coconut butter, agave nectar, etc...).

I just don't know what excatly to do with trying to homeschool a 5 year old, raise a one year old, cook for 3 people other than myself (they like the SAD way), clean a house constantly and still make time for excercise and preparing a raw diet for myself. I am not even certain as to what ratios to eat in as far as how many nuts compared to veggies and so forth concerning weight loss. Any pointers would be appreciated!!

God bless ...

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

alyssia, here's my advice: eat as many fruits and veggies as you want!!!! haha that's honestly what i do. i've stopped counting calories because i know the foods i eat are good for me. i don't eat fats every day because i get constipated and it doesn't help when you want to lose weight. you definitely have a lot on your plate so your food shouldn't be a pain. just make it easy. eats whole fruits, smoothies, soups, and salads.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Start with green smoothies.... It will make your life easier and you will have more energy... Ease more raw foods into your diet with salads and fresh fruit... Make these offerings to your children esp the little one as they will be very into it, if given a chance without making a big deal of it.... Let it be normal keep adding more steamed then raw veggies,

your husband will not really notice if you don't tell him..

Make a fruit smoothie for breakfast and offer them a taste... You will be surprised that after a few tries they will love it and ask for their own... Offer fresh fruit for their snacks at break time as well a veggie sticks for dipping...

Check out our recipe section for more ideas... My 5 yr old granddaughter thinks purple cabbage is the bomb!!! She loves fennel and will pick it in the grocery store above all else...

Keep looking forward for health and next thing you know... YOUR stove will be used for a counter top and storage cabinet like mine... smile

• Thanks for the suggestions!! :-)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I feel you are overwhelming yourself before you even begin. Breathe deeply! Everything is perfect right now. You are perfect. The house is perfect. The kids are perfect.

You will not find consensus on "ratios," percentages, calories, etc. even on a raw food website. I'm just saying.

I suggest transitioning at a pace you can handle, and increasing the health quotient of your diet over time by adding raw vegan foods. Along with a green smoothie in the morning, switch to raw snacks like trail mixes, raisins, and fruits instead of what you usually snack on. Most kids happily eat grapes, strawberries, raisins, bananas, etc. Since you like sweets, grab some raw cacao powder and make "pudding" with ripe bananas or avocado.

Maybe at first you manage a raw breakfast and snacks, a salad for lunch, and a cooked vegan dinner. Congratulations, you're 70% raw, and it wasn't that big a change.

And please try not to fixate on weight loss until you get into a groove and you don't find it's a big effort to feed yourself. If you're currently a SAD eater like the rest of your household, just omitting meat and dairy will help you lose pounds. And don't forget to drink loads and loads of water!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

What a great post Suasoria,thankyou,helped me ever so much with my issues at the moment.

• I agree, small steps are the easiest way to switch. Not only will it be too overwhelming for you to manage to go raw overnight, but you family will be more open to small changes.

When you are first starting out, dont worry so much about how many nuts or raw sweets you eat. Its is loads better than anything processed you could eat, and over time you will be able to tell when its too much. And one good rule that I gave/give my self is that I can have whatever kind of dessert I want, and how ever much of it, as long as its raw. There, just cuts out all candy and sugary snacks, without feeling deprived. In fact, I notice that I dont need as much of a raw dessert to feel satisfied as regular ones.

Idea! what if you made nutrition and "cooking" a small part of your child's curriculum? That would help you find time you need to make good food, teach your little one about being healthy, and make the whole idea not so foreign. Make some raw cookies with him/her.

Good Luck!

• Focusing on being good to yourself is the most important thing. Don't feel self-centered for taking care of yourself. (And of course, you need to be healthy and happy to be good to your children, too!)

There are some suggestions in Natalia Rose's "The Raw Food Detox Diet" and Kristen Suzanne's "Kristen's Raw" about how to make things appealing and nutritious for children; those two come to mind right away. (One side suggestion I've read in a few places is to keep this in mind: most people have no clue about diet or nutrition, so ignore those who question your parenting in going raw or giving your kids raw!) BUT I'm not a parent so I know very little about convincing children of anything (lol) -- I'm sure it isn't easy.

You can be a powerful role model just by doing what's right for yourself, if you explain your choices simply, clearly and understandably. And if you take obvious relish in your food, that's all the better as an example. (I know that from training animals, LOL -- you get them to eat something by pretending to eat and enjoy it yourself....)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I was giong to say, while a house and children sound overwhelming, if there's one thing they need - it's a mother or guardian in good health, so think of your food prep (it will get easier with time) and exercise not only for yourself, but for everyone close to you. THEY need YOU to take care of yourself. :)

I usually leave my juicer ready all day and the Vita-Mix just rinsed out and do green smoothies and green juices. You will find combos you like. Try to always have some FRESH fruit staples around or fruit you cut up and froze yourself.

• I was about 50% raw (or more) & doing the things you mentioned here and then I fell of the wagon. Thanks for the ideas!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Good luck. :)

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

When you fall off the wagon,you can always gets back on.

If an old girl like me can keep climbing back on,I know you can,Alyssia.!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Have your thyroid checked. You describe hypothyroid symptoms (in the title). If that's your issue then there are some foods that wll hurt you if eaten raw, some that are worse for you if cooked and some that are bad for you either way. All of those foods are goitrogens, they block iodine reception. Chemicals in the water, flouride, chlorine and bromine and mercury also have a negative effect on thyroid, causing a disruption at the iodine receptor site. The thyroid affects every cell in your body.