Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

bread substitutes?

Does anyone have any good ideas for bread substitutes (like a raw cracker or something) that is: fat free (nut free), gluten free, and doesn't contain flax? I did make a reasonable buckwheat bread, but I am finding the buckwheat very starchy. I've tried some veggie crackers but they don't stick together well without chia or flax. I did try some collard greens, but found them a bit too fibrous. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Sorry...I thought I had a recipe, but I looked again, and it had flax (no nuts).

And, goneraw doesn't allow me to delete this post. :o(

Flax is what really keeps bread "together". What's a good substitute for that... and maybe you can make this recipe using that substitution:

Chef James Russell's Nut-free Bread: http://therawchefblog.com/nut-free-bread/

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

What about veg pulp and Irish moss? I wonder if that would bind it? I may try it this weekend. I am thinking it will be more like a cracker. Or, blended spinach with Irish moss for a tortilla, I'd add a little salt and lime.

• I like the irish moss idea, daniefon. However, I don't know where to get that in Canada. What would be a good brand, or a good online store that I could google about irish moss?

Thanks!

I can't find it anywhere but online. I buy almost everything from naturalzing.com, I just received some from them. I think it was around $12. Have you used it before?

• No, I had only heard of it recently!

Me too and it's my new favorite product. I've made ice cream, pudding and smoothies so far. I really think you could take pulp, buckwheaties, a little salt and enough irish moss gel to stick it together and have a great cracker. If you are avoiding nuts in everything, this will open up some possibilities for you. I am the new Irish Moss cheerleader.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I dont know personally but doesnt agar agar get gelatin like also?

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I've used sunflower and pumpkin seeds instead of flax adn ti works well... what about using a raw tahini to bind things together.

• I have made a really dense, chewy not hard, bread with oat groats and some quinoa. (along with jalapenos, nutritional yeast, onions etc) I found I needed to eat it with tomatoes or something juicy, maybe a sauce or dressing? Also, the nutritional yeast may have had an effect on the dense chewy-ness of it.

If you do make something like this, i recommend spreading it about 1/2 and inch thick at most, which might help. Mine was thicker.

Soaked the oat groats and quinoa before hand, and sprouted the quinoa, but not the groats.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Ah, what about a coconut wrap using only coconut, cayenne, & sea salt! This is Sarma's recipe (for samosas):

http://gliving.com/sarmas-cauliflower-samosas/

Agar is not raw - is it? Well, you have to add boiling water to get it to thicken. You could probably try a corn wrap... and it may just stick together!

Edit: Hmmm, I guess coconut is a nut too. Oops, sometimes I forget... even with the word 'nut' in 'coconut'.

• Thankyou for all the good ideas- I think I'll try a sprouted oat cracker, and some kind of a corn tortilla...?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Chia Seed is worth a try...

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I think you'd like it. It ia a rich source of protein and makes gel similar to flaxseed. It make a good binder in dehydrated cookies, bread and crackers. It thickens salad dressings and makes a good pudding. It's very versatile as a food and it works as a laxative (another quality similar to flax). It has more qualities than the ones I mentioned. So yes, it's worth a try.

Bananas make good breads and soft cookies/pancakes but they aren't very good for crispy things.