Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

any health benefits to lecithin?

wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

The non-GMO kind of course. I found a detox smoothie recipe and it uses lecithin in it. I only use it as a thickener. Any ideas on its health/detox bennies?

Comments

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Lecithin can help to break down fat deposits, and is sometimes recommended as part of a weight-loss strategy. Some say it's also good for brain functioning; if you look at natural "brain-boosting" supplements, you'll see that lecithin is often an ingredient.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

As soap makes water wetter therefore making it easier to wash the muck off dishes, etc... Lecithin does the same to our plasma allowing our cells to better clean out the garbage/toxins we ingest...

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Interesting, what is the best way to take it? I recently heard about the granules,and a long time ago I used to use the liquid for baking.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You can also get around the whole soy issue by using bee pollen, which is also rich in lecithin. I don't believe soy lecithin is raw, and anytime soy is heated, MSG is produced as a by product. LOL.

• bee pollen isn't vegan, though :-) oy, vey.....what's a girl to do?

I recently bought some liquid soy lecithin because I heard it was a good thickening / creamy-texture additive to homemade nut milk. All it did was make it gooey, and a little slimy. I prefer my fresh, frothy nut milk without, I think. and forget about what happened when I used that same nut milk to make my little "warm chocolate" drink treat. the lecithin separates into long strands of cheesy yellow stuff. gross!

maybe there is a better use for it but I haven't found it yet.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Lecithin is just a marketed supplement that is not Raw. If your eating Raw and consuming healthy dishes one wouldnt need to consume "supplements". I think people put too much faith in supplements. I myself take MSM so cant speak too much but I take it because it helps me walk up right and without limping again so it has worked well for me.

I am almost avidly against soy though so my opinion is skewed a bit : )

I say, Save money, and skip the supplement all together!

Cheers!

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

There is also sunflower lecithin for those who dont wish to consume soya.

It is good for aiding the absorption of fat soluble vitamins and fat soluble fatty acids etc.