Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mustard...

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Hello All :)

So im new here but I have been living the raw life for about 4 months now, im sixteen years old.

I do have a question though. Is it okay to eat organic stondground mustard?

I bought some yesterday at the health food store to have on my lettuce wraps, just wondering if this would be okay or if it would set me back.

Thanks

Comments

• Although it is delicious, it's definitely not raw. :( Sorry!

What exactly are the ingredients? I think the distilled vinegar/grain vinegar is going to make it not raw. I'm not sure what else they do to it, though.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

You can probably make your own mustard using mustard seeds. I'm not sure if seeds are bought raw or not.

I don't think a small amount of a condiment will set you back. Raw foodists eat 75% or more raw. You could probably eat all raw and a litle mustard, with the negligible calories it has, and still be 99.5% or so.

• You can make a simple mustard by soaking mustard seeds with water overnight, and then liquefying in a FP or blender. It is quite pungent at first and mellows out with age to the kind you are accustomed to. Store in the fridge of course.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

The ingrediants say water, grain vinegar, organic mustard seeds, salt, spices.

Ill have to try making my own... i have never done that before.

I tried making my own salad dressing a couple weeks ago and it did not go well at all.

:(

• Hey Mikfizzle,

I am a mustard addict, and I want to make my own soon. There is a video on The Renegade Health Show about how to make your own raw mustard, and it has some other spices and what not added to it, so it sounds pretty good. Check out the video if you want a how-to video, just google Renegade Health Show mustard :-)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

formosa~ Did you get taken in by the April Fools video? I sure did. lol

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Ill definately have to check out the video - thanks :)

What were the ingredients in your dressing? Maybe we can help out.

I think I'm giong to try one tonight with agave or dates, mustard seeds, chives, garlic. I'll let you know what I do. I want to make it no-fat-added. We'll see!

The dressing is pretty good! I didn't measure, but I put water, dates (3), chives (about 1/2 c.), a little pink salt, Herbamore, basil, one garlic clove, and black mustard seeds. It smells like too much mustard inside the Vita-Mix, but outside of that tunnel, it's fine. It might be too potent tomorrow, but I'm eating it tonight!

Sorry for all of the posts, but then I did an experiement and made a mustard dressing with water, about 1T. prepared Dijon mustard (organic), garlic, dates, Herbamore, pink salt, and chives, and I like this one better.

The black mustard seeds are spicy.....

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Thanks for that RawExplorer I didn't know to let it age. I can'r wait to try again. I've been giving up and throwing it out. I'll bet this is the answer I was lookin' for.

• Bluedolfin: I actually got to the end of their April Fool's Day video thinking, "Was there even coconut in that?" I even knew it was April Fool's Day but I was excited to get a new recipe so didn't put 2 and 2 together right away:-)