Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Straining Nut Milk = Withholding Nutrients?

I've read about straining nut milks when using nuts and seeds that tend to yield a grainy texture after processing (such as pecans and macadamia nuts). My main concern is how much protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals will be retained in the nut bag during the straining process versus omitting the step. Any ideas?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmm, very good question... and I haven't the slightest idea. I would think a very small percentage... but that's a complete guess. Is the nutrition (protein, vitamins, minerals) mostly in the milk or pulp? Hmmmm.

Well, it will definitely have LOTS of fiber.

Anybody know?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I don't know how much nutrition stays in the pulp, but I rarely strain. I'd guess you're missing out on what little fiber nuts actually have. Usually I only strain nut or seed milks when I'm planning on adding them to a drink like chai. For smoothies, pouring on cereal, or making icing, it seems pretty unnecessary. I doubt you're going to find anyone with a concrete answer for this one--after all, it will depend a good deal on your blender and what you use to strain. But I think if you like strained milks, I'd just echo germin8 and recommend you not worry about it.

• well i've heard that nuts are much like potatoes and oranges and other fruit, where the skin holds a lot of the nutrient content. i don't really have a problem with that, though, since i eat the pulp in recipes and i dont depend on nut milk for nutrients.

• Hmmm...I've never worried too much about how much nutrition is left in the pulp from nut milk because I use the pulp in dehydrated crackers and desserts as "flour". No waste! :)

• Thank you for your responses.

I've been contemplating the straining step after experimenting with macadamia nut ice cream recipes, and noticing a faint grainy texture after the ice cream melts in my mouth.

While I won't be depending on them for daily nutrition, it's nice to crack two nuts with one stone when successfully preparing nutritious, yet delightful desserts.

• hey but really- i want to know too. i was researching it and i can't find much information on it. i don't want to the pulp. i want to make something nutritionally sound that will digest very easily, and i want it to be concentrated. does anyone know? or at least can anyone point me in the direction of where i might find out?