Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to make a sauce with creamy texture without all that fat... ?

Hi there! I was wondering how you would suggest creating like a salad dressing or "noodle" sauce that is creamy, but doesn't use oil/nuts/seeds/tahini/avacado. I know those items are typical bases to make a "creamy" sauce, but has anyone been successful with something else? I know I have made a zucchini hummus, but that had tahini, which I assume is what made it "creamy." I'm wondering if there is some other soft (low-fat) vegetable that could be added with some vinegar/lemon juice or something to make a dressing. I've looked through the recipes, but have been unsuccessful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• hmmm. I'm not sure how they would taste, but possibly pureed potatoes or cauliflower? I know that in the past, I have made "mashed potatoes" with cauliflower with no problems!

• beanbean Raw Newbie

If you don't mind the "un-rawness" of it, you could try adding some irish moss, or another thickener (soaked and blended dates work and might taste good in a pasta sauce) to get it a bit thicker- it might not be creamy, but if you add something else to it, some kind of vegetable puree, then it might do the trick. Also, just an idea, but what about a bit of banana? I've seen that used in indian-ish dishes, with a bit of curry.... now I want to try that. If I do, I'll let you know how it is!

Anyways, g'luck.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Bananas work very well as long as you are using enough flavor to cover up the banana taste. bananas go well with garlic and also onion.

For dressings you can use blueberries. they are great and have natural pectin which thickens and sets.

Spinach also goes very creamy when blended with liquid.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

1. Coconut meat. From what I've read, it's a more beneficial fat to consume (medium chain fatty acid).

2. Beans

3. Zucchini

4. Dehydrate some of your veggies til dry, then grind them into a powder and use as a thickener...similar to adding flour to thicken sauces

5. Any heavy fruit like papaya or mango thicken to make a sweeter sauce. Just cut back on your water content

6. Sundried tomatoes

Douglas Graham has some great dressings and some don't contain fats. Have you researched any of the 80/10/10 forums?

• I've been looking into trying 80/10/10, that is why I was curious about a low-fat dressing/sauce. I'll definitely check out their forum for some ideas as well. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I am going to try banana first... good idea!

• graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

maybe you could try organic corn. i know it's not great to eat it all the time but i'm sure every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I made a dressing that had an awesome texture with chives, dates, mustard (this was prepared/not raw), pink salt, and water. But it wasn't milky. It actually didn't even separate in the fridge!

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

What would you put with the banana? Sounds awesome, but I need a recipe !

• I like to use banana and lemon as a dressing- one banana and half a lemon in the vitamix. It goes good on any salad, even a savory one. I like the creamy texture.

• seaweedseaweed Raw Newbie

i've just been blending a mango and a tomato with a splash of apple cider vinegar. soo good.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

what about this without the olive oil? I would add a few sun dried tomatoes for body. I loved this dressing the last time i made it and i cut way back on the oil . http://www.goneraw.com/node/4963

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I've done the mango & tomato combo, too, but without the ACV. It's one of my favs.

My other fav salad dressing is simply the juice of an orange, pulp included (but of course, that's not creamy). Thinkin' maybe you could throw the whole orange (peeled and seeded) into the blender with a date or two...that *is* creamy (I use that, with spices, when making apple cobbler). Maybe you'd like that as a dressing?

:~)

• I wanted a creamy tex-mex style dressing with no oil. I LOVE the dressing used at Real Food Daily on their Tex Mex salad so based my flavor objective from there.

The small amount of avocado gives it a creamy texture for very little fat. I like spicy flavors and especially love cumin, but you can adjust to your taste.

I roughly calculated the calories and it came out to about 65 calories total. This makes about two servings, or 30+ calories each serving.

1/3 cup organic (ideally fresh) carrot juice

1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro

1/2 garlic clove

2 tbsp red onion, minced

3 cherry tomatoes

1/8 small avocado

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp ground coriander seed

2 tsp sea salt

1 - 2 tsp minced jalapeno

Squeeze of lime

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

• OH! Caryn Lynne that sounds so good! I am going to try to figure out how to make a low fat miso ginger dressing today...I'll let you know if I get anything good!

• I'm glad I came across this thread. I've been trying to monitor less fats and was thinking the same thing. Some good ideas here!

• Chia seeds blended into a dressing make it thick and slickery.

• I did it! I made a really great miso ginger dressing with only 1 tbsp of oil. It has a really strong flavor so you barely need any on the salad so you aren't consuming too much oil. I posted it in the recipe forum, hope that helps.