Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

After being sick of freezing 24/7....

I had a recent post about always being cold and having a major loss of appetite. Since then, maybe 3 weekS, I've dropped about ten pounds. I'm 17, 5"9 and hovering At 105 pounds. I've been vegan for a year, vegetarian for 4, and 80% raw for about 7 weeks. Everyone I know tells me I look sick/anorexic. My hair is falling out, my nails are blue, skin is dry, I'm breaking out. I'm not doing this intentionally. I just have a poor appetite, no cravings (except for pistachios now And then). I have been drinking more water and it's helped a bit but not enough to make any improvements. This is a typical day for me:

6:45 chug a bottle of water, sip on kombucha until 730

8:30 typically still not hungry, but will eAt an apple while in class

10:00 not hungry but usually start to be cold...eat a go raw granola or pumpkin bar, or a couple dried figs and so some pistachios

3:30 I get home from school or arrive at work. If I'm at home, I'll make a green smoothie or eat some nuts and dried fruit. If im at work, I make a green juice (16 oz carrot spinach celery a lil bit of apple) or another kombucha...I work at a health food store

6:30 salad with 1/5 avocado or cooked beans (usually black beans with salsa or red beans)

I have to stop there or I know I'll be screwed the next day...not hungry, bitchy, groggy.

So despite that, I'm also looking for advice to gain weight in muscle form.

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Eat more fruit. Not just apples. Oranges, bananas too. Eat less dried fruit. Try more exercise to stimulate appetite.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

your loss of appetite could be hormonal. i have that sometimes too. just try to eat different things and see what tastes ok. try to eat a bunch of bananas. they are filling. the more you eat in the beginning of the day, the healthier you will be and less likely to feel starved at night.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Yes Bitt has a point.

Hormonal imbalances can wreak havoc. I'm going through a similar type of thing. My main complaint is unbelievable Lethargy... no matter how long I sleep I feel exhausted....later this week I'm having my doctor evaluate me for Adrenal Fatigue.

Adrenal fatigue, Ovarian problems, and Thyroid problems can cause some of the symptoms you are experiencing.

If you see an MD - make sure they investigate all 3 of the above (some women have all 3 at once!). Many doctors don't even think of checking your Adrenal glands...and that is a big mistake.

If you look up Adrenal Fatigue you will probably be surprised at how debilitating it can be.

And you might want to think about whether you get enough Magnesium....

I hope that you feel better soon.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

It sounds like thyroid problems. I would not eat those foods suggested that contain goitrogens (strawberries, kale, flaxseeds and many more not listed here) and increase iodine either by supplementation or by eating seaweed or algae (particularly kelp, spirulina and fucus/bladderwrack). You can easiy consume excess iodine, so go slow. Do a search for goitrogens and hypothyroid to see if that could be your problem. Candida and mercury toxicity are often connected to hypothyroid and they all share the same symptoms making it difficult to get to the root of the situation.

Goitrogens are natural toxins that block iodine receptors. Candida and mercury do the same.

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

I got this out of one of my juice/health books that I have been using to help me put on some weight. I am the same age as you (as well as height), and actually weighed exactly what you do right now. I had a serious appetite problem for a while but have managed to get my weight up to and so far maintain it at about 119-120 lbs. When I first started though, my body had gone without the correct nutrients for so long that I was seriously deficient in everything, which hindered in my recovery since mineral (especially zinc) and vitamin deficiency causes the body to shut down the "hunger signal" even when one tries to eat. I hope this helps. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIEATARY MODIFICATIONS:

1. Increase calories by adding complex carbohydrates. Raw Example - Bananas.

2. Drink your calories instead of eating them. Often it's easier to drink more food than it is to eat it.

3. Eliminate any caffeine containing beverages, such as coffee, tea, and some colas. These beverages increase the metabolic rate.

NUTRIENTS THAT HELP:

1. Zinc - Deficiency causes lack of taste that may contribute to loss of appetite.

BENEFICIAL JUICES:

1. Ginger, parsley, and carrot - sources of zinc.

2. Lemon - A traditional appetite stimulant.

3. Carrot, kale, and parsley - Mineral-rich juices that provide the nutrients the body needs to nourish itself.

4. Cantaloupe, pineapple, and grape - natural sources of sugar, which boosts calorie levels.

SUGGESTED JUICING RECIPES:

1. Lemon Spritzer - 1 small lemon, sparkling water.

Push lemon through hopper. Pour juice into ice-filled glass. Fill glass to top with sparkling water.

2. Strawberry Shake - 1 pint strawberries, 1/2 firm pear, 1 ripe banana, and 1 Tbs. Brewer's Yeast.

push strawberries through hopper. Place juice, banana, and yeast in blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.

3. Sweet and Sour Cherry Cream - 1 cup cherries, pitted and 2 bananas.

Juice cherries. Place juice and bananas in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

4. Tropical Nectar - 1 passion fruit (peeled), 1/2 papaya (peeled), 1 nectarine, 1 banana, and orange slice for garnish.

Push passion fruit, papaya, and nectarine through hopper. Place juice, banana, and ice in blender or food processor, and blend into frosty drink.

5. Mineral Tonic - Handful parsley, 2 turnip leaves, 1 kale, 4-5 carrots (greens removed).

Roll up parsley in turnip and kale leaves, and push hopper with carrots.

6. Red Crush - 1 medium bunch red grapes, 1/2 cup cherries, 1/2 cup blueberries, and a handful of whole berries (any kind).

Juice grapes, cherries, and berries. Pour juice into a glass or bowl over finely chopped ice. Sprinkle whole berries on top, and eat with a spoon.

7. Blueberry Shake - 1 pint blueberries, 1 ripe banana, 2 tbs. protein powder (hemp, maca, spirulina, or some other raw protein powder).

Juice blueberries. Place juice, banana, and protein powder in blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.

8. Ginger Hopper - 1/4 inch slice ginger root, 4-5 carrots (greens removed), 1/2 apple.

Push ginger through hopper with carrots and apple.

OTHER SMOOTHIES I USED:

1. CHOCOLATE-CHERRY - 1 cup frozen cherries, 1 cup frozen banana (or 1 fresh banana), 2 tbs. cacao nibs,

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

To warm your body and get some color back into your skin try making cayenne tea. Mix warm water with lemon juice, raw honey, and a generous amount of cayenne. Sip it and you'll feel a difference in your body temp and energy level!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Maybe force yourself to eat a salad? it doesn't have to be large but eat a avocado or two in it, use olive oil, and maybe sunflower seeds on top. It will be a good amount of caleries.

If you want to gain weight than you need to eat more than 2000 caleries a day. Eating 2000 helps you maintain your weight, and eating under that helps you lose weight.

Maybe if you manage to eat a couple of those salads a day and some more sugary fruit that will help a lot.