Maintaining a healthy weight

I started this raw food diet NOT to loose weight but to improve my overall health. I’m already a thin girl – my height is 5’6” and my weight is 120 lbs. I do not own a scale and the only time I ever get weighed is when I go to the doctors. Today I was at the doctors and my weight came in at 115 lbs! And this is only after ONE month of eating 95% raw foods. Now, that is the lowest weight in years! I really do not want to loose any more weight. I already eat lots of fatty foods: coconut almost everyday, lots of oils, nuts, etc. I don’t know what to do at this point and honestly it’s turing me off.

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

You don’t actually believe that you are now eating too much food in it’s natural state, and that you need cooked food to be healthy, do you? You only lost 5 pounds. You haven’t even totally given up cooked food yet, so you can’t blame Raw Food.

Raw Food is not a fad diet, it’s a lifestyle change that requires patience. 1 month of 95% is not long enough to start making adjustments to your diet based on everyones favourite theory. Make sure that you are not further toxifying your self first by being 100% raw for 6 weeks to 3 months.

After you fully detox and your body stabilizes, then you can play with your food. Trying to make adjustments and track specific results while transitioning is pointless and will only lead you to frustration. This is why there are so many theories on Raw Food, because many overlook the basics and never actually go 100% Raw. Don

• I know that book. Well, I don’t think I’m “toxifying” myself by eating organic brown rice and a baked organic sweet potato every 5 days or so. I hear what you mean though however my boyfriend – now more than 4 months completely 100% raw vegan – has lost a lot of weight too and is continuing to loose weight… and he is a skinny boy!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Are you positive you’re eating enough? You may not be getting enough calories. Also, are you getting any exercise? Make sure you’re still maintaining your muscle and even building more. I guess that would go more for your boyfriend- since he’s been raw for a while. You might just be “cleaning out” a bit and will gain it all back. And don’t worry! Worrying isn’t healthy :c)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi There coconut dream, Reading your post made me think of something. I have met quite a few people who use affirmations to lose weight, and it works. Perhaps you could try affirmations to put on weight? Changing your belief that raw food is making you skinnier, into a belief that raw food is helping you put on weight and beome a curvaceous coconut dream may work.

We are what we eat but also we are what we think too…

Replace worried negative thoughts with these suggestions:

“Raw food is making my body beautiful and curvy” “I have a beautiful healthy body ” “I am at the perfect weight” “I have the body I dreamed of” “The more raw food I eat, the healthier I become” “The more raw food I eat, the more weight I put on.”

I read a lot about how coconut fat actually has something in it which makes you lose weight. One experiment I read about was about farmers using it to feed cows as a cheap method of fattening them up. But it didn’t work because the more coconut they ate, the leaner they got.So maybe coconuts aren’t a good idea for weight gain.

• I said other things too! Hehe, like nuts, and oils, but I guess since my user name has the world coconut in it, you guys must think I only eat coconut or something. Morning_theft, I definitely eat more than my share. I have a huge appitite and I always eat when I am hungry. As far as exercise is concerned, I probably don’t get enough, especially during the school year, but I do go to yoga classes, hike, swim, etc. Zoe, that you for your positive comment. You are right. It’s like the ‘secret.’ I will have to try doing some positive thinking. I don’t even need to gain weight at this point, I just don’t want to loose anymore. Thanks again (:

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

hey there coconut, I clicked on your profile and then your website and it goes to Angela Stokes’s blog, you’re not Angela Stokes are you??

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I understand that you believe that Organic Brown Rice and Baked Organic Sweet Potatoes are healthy. In the cooked food world these items would be considered to be some of the best food you can eat. To me however they are nothing but dead food. My body doesn’t recognize them as food and treats them a a toxin.

Brown Rice is certainly better than White Rice and Baked Sweet Potato is better than French Fries. This does not mean that they are not toxic. Studies show that those who eat more Organic Brown Rice and such are healthier than those who do not. But the people who are not eating the Organic Brown Rice, are eating something else instead. something that is more toxic or causes more health problems.

In the cooked food world they talk about replacing and substitutes for bad things like meat and such. Of course if you study those who exchange their Ribeye Steak for some Organinc Brown Rice you will draw the conclusion that the rice is healthy. Again, this does not mean it’s not toxic for your body. Your body does not recognise cooked/dead food.

I encourage you to give up everyting that you have ever learned about nutrition and embrace the concept of eating only Raw Foods. Almost all nutritional information is based on a cooked food world (oh, and lab rats too). I always only suggest that people try it for 6 weeks to 3 months. I also suggest that people always take as long as they want to get there. I took 3 1/2 years to transition.

I only suggest to you that at somepoint in your life you go 100% long enough to fully detox and to meet your Purely Raw self, you without additives. Then you can have some Organic Brown Rice and decide for yourself how healthy it is. 3 months is nothing. You are surely worth it.

• Zoe, haha, no I am not Angela Stokes, obviously. I have not been 100% raw for three years. She is a big idol of mine though, that’s why I have her blog URL in my profile.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I like what Zoe said, “We are what we think”... It’s actually a really good point you have there. I have been trying to gain some of the weight I lost back for a while now, and haven’t been able to go over 102lbs at any point… But… Did I really want to? In a lot of ways, I probably had in my head that I can’t or really prefer to stay thin. I don’t think about gaining weight at the moment, all I focus on is getting stronger and feel healthier. Nothing else matters anymore. And I mean, a lot of raw foodists are at the low end of the healthy weight range… So as long as you’re not emaciated and weak, does it really matter?