Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw comfort food for SAD eaters

Hey all, my mom and brother are coming to visit me for the first time since I started eating raw. My mom has diabetes and my brother is quite overweight. So while they are here I want to serve them raw food that they will really enjoy and start to consider eating more raw and living foods I'm looking for some raw recipes that taste like SAD comfort food. Or any raw really tasty recipe If you have any or know where some good ones are from this site or others I would love to know your thoughts.

I already told them they will be served green smoothies for breakfast. They said that sounds good so maybe......

Comments

• This recipe: http://www.goneraw.com/node/63 is great served with crackers.

All of my non-raw friends love it.

• The subject line grabbed my attention but the post seemed off topci from what I assumed it to be due to the subject line. I was thinking it would be a post about using food for comfort which I feel is a very unhealthy thing to do and leads to disordered eating and/or eating disorders. I was ready to rant... Food for fuel! energy! life! not for emotional repair, comfort, punishment or reward, etc. - that happens from within. I'll stop here.

Anyhow, that doesn't seem to be the point of your post. So in response: I would recommend you finding out foods they like and then keyword searching gone raw recipes for recipes that match those foods. Have fun! and let them watch or help you make these things. They will learn in the process and benefit from knowledge and yummy-healthy raw eating! Be daring and take a few of their favorite cooked and show them these things raw style!!! I am sure whatever you make will turn out beautiful. Goodluck.

Have a great time with your family!!!

Pink TuTu Twirls,

Johnny

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Well, I've found raw desserts are always an easy way to impress non raw friends/family.

I've had success with the Apple Cobbler and Cinnamon Buns recipes on this site.

If you're looking for a savory option, go for one of the cracker/bread recipes and make a dip/pate to go with them. I like the carrot crackers from this site along with the cheese with spring onions.

So many nice dishes to choose from on here. I'd go for the ones which have lots of postive feedback as these tend to be the ones most people enjoy.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

• I made a couscous style salad for my family to enjoy when we had company over one time. It's quite filling and yummy! I sprouted quinoa for a couple days, and added to it some fresh veggies (cucumber, tomatoe, red onion). It's great with fresh basil, lemon juice, sea salt, and a bit of olive oil.

I didn't even tell our guests that it was a raw dish but they seemed to enjoy it!! : )

• Thank you all for your ideas input. I will try some recipes out with the kids to see what they think (teenagers!)

they are pretty picky too, even though they drink green smooties and eat the raw crackers and nut cheeses I've made for them. They really like the raw pizzas. Just need enough food for 8 days for 11 people. CRAZY!!

sv3 your right raw desserts are always a hit with everybody.

duwan I have tried the cheese sauce it is sooo good.

Johnny, I didn't mean to misslead you it's hard to make what they like because it is all pasta, breads, and dairy (they are from Wisconsin) the good thing is they love to be in the kitchen so they will help me make the dishes.

rawsaysrita the couscous sounds really good thank you.

• Of course not dear! It was just my own reaction : ) Pasta, bread and cheese... starchy and fat dense --- that can easily be altered into something raw and much healthier.

I once made a raw zucchini pasta to cater to a party and everyone loved it. Raw pasta is so easy and with a nice sauce it's perfecto. This can be quick too and doesn't require overnight dehydrating like breads/crackers/etc. do. They may enjoy a heart sauce on top since most cooked pasta dishes really are all in the sauce. People don't crave flour = pasta, it's the sauces they are drawn to and how everything is flavored and mixed together... and the quickest raw cheese possible is the kind you grade or grind fresh from nuts. Almond, walnut or brazil nut "parm" on top of your raw pasta will give some extra zing... as will pinenuts - extra salty flavor. I don't eat these sorts of things anymore but I sure do remember.

Have fun! and do us curious ones a favor? maybe you might take a photo of the creation(s) you and your family are able to do together. I think it would be very special to show off your hard work!!! and also support family raw interaction.

Bless you.

Ps. Might I suggest a raw quiche? It's great for breakfast or brunch, lunch or a light springtime dinner. I don't have my raw quiche recipe online, only old photos. I made mine and set it in the fridge since I dislike dehydrating... and let the quiche "set" in the fridge for a few hours. It was divine. I remember I used walnuts in the crust - you could use most nuts or seeds. I remember grinding them in the food processer and adding some herbs and a dash of raw olive oil (when I use to use it a long while back)... then I pressed it into a mini solo pie dish... My filling was a blend of avocado, mushrooms, spinach, Italian style fresh herbs and I believe green zucchini from my garden. Pink sea salt and pepper back then (wow, as I type this I notice how SIMPLE I eat now and what a change in diet even though I've been raw 4 years)... I put that into the crust... it was thick and creamy, not wet. Wet is hard to set. Then I covered it and put it in the fridge and it started to set good after a few hours.

My Mom and I LOVED it. It was very filling. I served it with a side of sunflower sprouts and that was enough.

You could alter the recipe some and experiment with mine or others on here!

• "rich cheddar cheese" from this site on zucchini is fab

• as a 15 year old, i've had to go out of my way to figure out what kinds of raw foods impress teenagers :)

my friends all really loved anything to do with chocolate, although be sure to add more sweetener than you would for yourself. http://www.goneraw.com/node/11183 is my friends' favorite to the point where some of them would rather have those than buy a chocolate bar at the grocery store!

tropical fruits like mangos and pineapples usually go down well, too.

hm and guacamole, veggie burgers, really flavorful flax crackers, and http://www.goneraw.com/node/5325 (refried beans) also may be worth a shot, most of my friends have enjoyed those. most of my friends only liked green smoothies when a lot of peaches were involved, go figure.

sounds like youre going to be living in your kitchen for a while!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I second the Rich Cheddar Cheese Sauce! I served it over marinated & dehydrated broccoli for an easter dinner this past weekend. It's a true winner for mass appeal! And my SAD/non raw/carnivore family members loved it!! I even had an email yesterday requesting the recipe from someone who eats a ton of meat and dairy (hope it works in a regular blender!)

Here is another amazing broccoli and cheese recipe perfect for non rawbies!! It's suitable for the fussiest eaters. I have served this at 2 different Thanksgiving dinners and got rave reviews. It was quite the buzz on this website a couple years ago. Do check it out.

http://www.goneraw.com/node/616

(I like to use pine nuts in lieu of the cashews. I think I wrote a comment with my notes)

How about Zoe's incredible Cheese with Spring Onions. Another top 5 recipe here on Goneraw. It's so totally yummy!

http://www.goneraw.com/recipe/cheese-spring-onions

And who could forget Jamestheraw's Tuna salad sandwiches! These are the bomb! Sure to please everyone!

http://www.goneraw.com/node/5032

How's that for some good, no nonsense comfort food. You're family & friends will love you for these old gems :-)

Best of luck with everything. Please do let us know what you end up making and how everyone responds.

Cheers

Joyce

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I second what Ofthesea and others have said -- SAD eaters can be wowed by anything really flavorful, so make things extra sweet, extra salty, extra spicy, etc.

In addition to the fab cheese sauces, a marinara with sun-dried and regular tomato (plus some red bell pepper for color) is usually tasty. And who doesn't love guacamole?

If you have a dehydrator, maybe cheesy kale chips - my mom and stepdad loved them, and stepdad loved my jalapeno poppers (recipe on this site).

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hey gang, here's a recipe that's been quite the buzz on Raw Food Talk! I haven't tried it yet but it's getting rave reviews:

Rawritos (faux dorritos!)

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25510

How's that for comfort food? I was never a fan of dorritos but my husband would like this! And I usually end up totally enjoying the raw versions of junk food that I never fancied in the past (like creamsicles and now I have a great raw creamsicle cake recipe, made for my husband)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Oh wow, all of the above suggestions look amazing. I have to try these out.

I now have far too many stacked up waiting for me to get around to!

• Anything with avocado... since that is usually served raw anyway, in guac or with salsa, makes a great buttery spread, etc. , and fills people up since it is high fat, and in my opinion VEEERY comforting!!

• There is a recipe on this site called Rosemary Mashed Potatoes. I just call it Rosemary Jicama though because its not mashed potatoes, and it tastes nothing like mashed potatoes. But it is DELICIOUS and I top it with a raw chili that I may have found on Gone Raw and it truly is a comfort food for me.

Also a quiche by that Russell guy I found here. Damn that is good. Any raw quiche.

And how about an avocado chocolate pudding.

• Oh, zucchini noodles with a pesto sauce. Who doesn't like pesto?

• Wow what great recipes! I'm so glad I have until June to try these out before they get here to good ol' California.

Thank you all for your awesome input and suggestions you guys are great!! : )

I will post pictures of what we make so all can see.

Nancy : )